Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
If you see something burning on the lake south of Strawberry Island, it's a Clay Twp Fire Dept. training exercise. They are raising a sunken boat that's there & burning it. I heard it was happening at 6:00PM, but the tones just went out at 6:29.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(tcg @ Sep 15 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No pictures but the audio is on the scanner page. A couple boats reported a boat on fire in Goose Bay even after several securitie broadcasts.

Matt
They need to do an "All Ships" DSC call when they do that. Ive heard those for Maydays. Wouldn't hurt for things like that. Most boat probably leave their VHF on 69 or 71, or turned off.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I saw it but I was busy fishing. No pics.

Even better was the entertainment provided by Michigan Marine Salvage last night at the ramp. If the boat owner is reading, sorry about the entertainment part....and sorry about your boat!

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
didnt see this...but did see the marsh burning and WOW !!! got some great shots but they are on my phone. neighbors have digitals. it was an all outter man. peeps on our street were getting a lil tweaked.recalling a previous burn where they literally had to hose down their garages.
I will get the pics and put in a thread. totally kewl to see...but when it's so close you can feel the heat of the fire and the sheer velocity of the power...it's AWESOME !
no..I am not a pyro...or however it's spelled...
ok..mebbe a lil

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I was on my "other boat" and had no radio. I was fishing and saw it and started the run over there. I stopped a boat coming at me and they said that sheriff and coast guard were there and someone was standing on the bow so I went back to fishing. Glad it was only a test. Looked wicked all that black smoke.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Sep 16 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>didnt see this...but did see the marsh burning .........

The DNR did a controlled burn in the marsh Monday. They had signs on the highway, 1st time I've ever seen that. They had some sort of vehicle that had tracks on it, cutting lanes through the marsh, probably to control the fire spreading. The fire dept was there & there were DNR & fire trucks stationed all up & down the highway.

Then the fire dept gets a call from Anchor Bay Dr, a garage was on fire. When they get there, the homeowner says, never mind, it's the marsh behind my garage burning.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Jazzy @ Sep 16 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Sep 16 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>didnt see this...but did see the marsh burning .........

The DNR did a controlled burn in the marsh Monday. They had signs on the highway, 1st time I've ever seen that. They had some sort of vehicle that had tracks on it, cutting lanes through the marsh, probably to control the fire spreading. The fire dept was there & there were DNR & fire trucks stationed all up & down the highway.

Then the fire dept gets a call from Anchor Bay Dr, a garage was on fire. When they get there, the homeowner says, never mind, it's the marsh behind my garage burning.

Hummmmmm. Who do we know who lives on that street.............

·
Registered
602 Posts
I never really understand the DNR phragmites control program. Seems like they go in and burn out or cut down an area, but that area is surrounded by phragmites, which (duh) invade the controlled area again.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(TheParamour @ Sep 16 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I never really understand the DNR phragmites control program. Seems like they go in and burn out or cut down an area, but that area is surrounded by phragmites, which (duh) invade the controlled area again.

they burned only on the Anchor Bay Dr side from ABD to Flamingo. I was a little surprised to see the DNR burning because just last week there was a helicopter flying around the marsh spraying. I assumed they were spraying phragmites with that Rodeo stuff, like they are doing down by Metro. So why spray, then burn?

from the DNR website:

"For our native grasslands or prairies, fire is particularly important," said Ray Fahlsing, stewardship program manager for the DNR Parks and Recreation Division. "It helps set back encroaching shrubs and trees, stimulates native grasses and wildflowers, reduces competition from fire-intolerant invasive species and fertilizes the soil with ash."

·
Registered
602 Posts
QUOTE(Jazzy @ Sep 16 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(TheParamour @ Sep 16 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I never really understand the DNR phragmites control program. Seems like they go in and burn out or cut down an area, but that area is surrounded by phragmites, which (duh) invade the controlled area again.

they burned only on the Anchor Bay Dr side from ABD to Flamingo. I was a little surprised to see the DNR burning because just last week there was a helicopter flying around the marsh spraying. I assumed they were spraying phragmites with that Rodeo stuff, like they are doing down by Metro. So why spray, then burn?

from the DNR website:

"For our native grasslands or prairies, fire is particularly important," said Ray Fahlsing, stewardship program manager for the DNR Parks and Recreation Division. "It helps set back encroaching shrubs and trees, stimulates native grasses and wildflowers, reduces competition from fire-intolerant invasive species and fertilizes the soil with ash."

Well a good burn every now and then is definitely a good thing. A year or two ago they burned on the other side.

Couple years back they did all that burning and cutting down trees and habitat restoration on the one side of the trail across from Cheers (or whatever it is now). Now the phragmites are just creeping back in. I wish they'd spend more of that money on maintaining and extending that trail.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Speaking of "Controled burn / Fire excersize",,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In 1994, I moved from my Pete's welding shop on Seven mile rd in detroit to "Marysville" mi.
and I lived on an 80 acre farm in Clyde Twp. Mi.

That farm had a wide mobile home which I lived in, and it had a three story, hundred year old +, haunted farm house. I immediately proposed to burn it down to make a music video, but the but the owners of the land didn't want the mess.

Negotiations later,,, the rest is history

Enjoy!!

open fire music video

"sometimes death is good" Music Video

1 - 20 of 20 Posts