Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was up from Kentucky the last few days to show a friend of his around the lake in preperation of the upcoming Everstart Tournaments and were having a difficult time finding smallmouth in the 2 lb and up range until......

One fateful cast, one small "tick" on the line, one perfect hookset and angling ability by Charlie Hill from Kentucky resulted in one of the biggest smallies I have seen in person. 7 pounds 5 ounces verified at Lake Side Fishing Shop on Jefferson in SCS.

All I can say is that it was caught on a tube in Canada. I would give more info, but Charlie has a big tournament coming up and oput of respect for him and that monster fish, I will with hold any more info.

Congrats to Charlie and I cant wait to get a few pictures of it to post here.

Now mind you the fish in my right hand of this old photo (see Dan, even I think its old...lol) is 6.5 pounds......the fish Charlie caught yesterday was almost a whole pound bigger and I am sure would have been in the upper 7's if it had not spit put a few VERY large shad in the livewell.

Well I guess the big fish will still eat those Precision Tubes.....

Mini

·
Registered
52 Posts
John,

Awesome catch!!! Tell your buddy Charlie to crack an Old Milwaukee, it doesn't get any better then that. What size tubes were you using?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fish you see in the picture were caught in 2000 on 5" Precision Tubes.

The fish caught yesterday was caught on a 4" tube.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I probably saw that monster. Scouting some water in Canada last week I spotted a cruiser that swam right past my boat. Easily 7lbs, biggest smallie I've ever seen....

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Did he put the fish back in the lake?!? If not, darnit, the water level's probably dropped another 3 inches...

·
Registered
397 Posts
So there is more than one 7lber in that Lake. I shared my story with Mini over a beer and some wings on Friday night. I'll with hold it from here because nobody wants to hear about the "big ones that got away"

I'll just say that this is my first season on St. Clair and I have seen some of the biggest fish of my life on this lake in the short while that I've fished it.

I know many of you disagree with the closed bass season but DAYUM......You just DON'T find 7lbers anywhere else!!! Don't take it for granted.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fish was kept and will be submitted for a line class record for Michigan. Then it will be mounted and placed on a very proud anglers mantle.

Mini

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Nice hawg......I had one about 6 years ago that went somewhere between 7 and 8.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I pulled a 7.5 lb smallie in Anchor Bay August 31st of last year. The biggest of my life. MDNR said it was the largest "caught and kept" or caught and released" smallmouth reported from Michigan waters last year. 3.5" smoke with red and chartruse flake tube.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
There's no correlation between a closed bass season and our big smallies. Geez, maybe lots of clean, clear water, good habitat and tons of forage MIGHT have something to do with, you think?!?

What would someone say about some of our lakes with closed seasons that DON'T have huge smallies?

Our huge Great Lakes smallmouths didn't start showing up in numbers until the late 80s, early 90s. We've had the same closed bass season since the early 60s.

I'm jealous of these guys (other than DRP - he probably made a mistake converting from metric to pounds - it was probably just a 4 pounder). I haven't seen anything bigger than 4.5 out there this year so far.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wanna really hate me Dan? I put three 5's in the boat last weekend in a little over twenty minutes. Ok....I did go almost two hours after that without another keeper.

I was fishing Bouvier Bay, RIPPING a tube super fast. Not my usual method, but it worked that day.

I think the forage had something to do with it that day for sure....I was following the birds.

·
Registered
397 Posts
michbass,

It was caught on St. Clair, in the water. If you're waiting for more detailed info....Don't hold your breath

Sorry, I couldn't resist.....I'm just joking.

Marke

1 - 13 of 13 Posts