Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a mora auger from my buddy. The blades are new and sharp as heck. I cant figure out why it wont cut the ice. luckily it was nice the other day and I w=could break through old holes with my heel.
Does anyone know if you can put the blades on upside down? I have never qwend one so I dont know what the heck is going on!

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE(mjlittle3 @ Feb 24 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I got a mora auger from my buddy. The blades are new and sharp as heck. I cant figure out why it wont cut the ice. luckily it was nice the other day and I w=could break through old holes with my heel.
Does anyone know if you can put the blades on upside down? I have never qwend one so I dont know what the heck is going on!

Yes, you can put them on upside down. If they're sharp and not cutting, I would guess they are on upside down or somebody sharpened them and screwed up the angle.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
QUOTE(Newb @ Feb 24 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(mjlittle3 @ Feb 24 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I got a mora auger from my buddy. The blades are new and sharp as heck. I cant figure out why it wont cut the ice. luckily it was nice the other day and I w=could break through old holes with my heel.

Yes, you can put them on upside down. If they're sharp and not cutting, I would guess they are on upside down or somebody sharpened them and screwed up the angle.

I have a Mora and agree, you can put them on upside down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Usually, if you have them on the right way you can see the writing on the blades... And dont try to sharpen them if you dont know how to do so correctly, i made that mistake this year and when i went to use the auger it just walked all over the ice and wouldnt cut, i ended up having to buy new blades

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I had a problem once with a brand new one few yrs back. I drilled about 6 holes and it just quit cutting for me.
The manufacturer sent me some thin metal shims that I used as they had drawn on a sketch for me, and it worked great the next few seasons.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(mjlittle3 @ Feb 24 2010, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the tips guys. Wish me luck!
BTW is there anywhere around SCS to get the blades sharpened???

ONLY PLACE I KNOW IS DERONNIES TRUE VALUE HARDWARE ON 9 MILE WEST OF KELLY...THERE HAVE BEEN POSTS ON THIS SUBJ. BEFORE AND I KNOW THERE ARE OTHER PLACES TOO. TRY THE SEARCH OPTION ON THIS SITE.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Ajvorps @ Feb 24 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Usually, if you have them on the right way you can see the writing on the blades... And dont try to sharpen them if you dont know how to do so correctly, i made that mistake this year and when i went to use the auger it just walked all over the ice and wouldnt cut, i ended up having to buy new blades

THAT IS SO TRUE ESPECIALLY WITH LAZERS.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Feb 24 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(mjlittle3 @ Feb 24 2010, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the tips guys. Wish me luck!
BTW is there anywhere around SCS to get the blades sharpened???

ONLY PLACE I KNOW IS DERONNIES TRUE VALUE HARDWARE ON 9 MILE WEST OF KELLY...THERE HAVE BEEN POSTS ON THIS SUBJ. BEFORE AND I KNOW THERE ARE OTHER PLACES TOO. TRY THE SEARCH OPTION ON THIS SITE.

Yes Deronne's Does an awesome job on the auger blades. They charge $2.00 more than the auger size. Thus 6" auger costs $8.00 4" auger costs $6.00 etc. If it is a single blade style auger they charge 7.00 flat rate no matter how big it is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought a brand new lazer, never cut well, looked at the blades they were MADE IN CHINA, called strikemaster gave them the serial number and they sent replacement blades made in sweden. Cuts better then ever now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts