Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK -- 10 or so weeks ago I called Mirror Image to come out and detail my boat. After about 2 weeks with no detailing, I called and cancelled, then went to Metro floating docks and did it myself.

Yesterday, 10 weeks later, I got a call from Mirror Image saying that my boat was done.
I told them that I waited for a while then cancelled and did it myself. They asked if I was sure, then their secretary remembered my cancellation.

SO -- do I,
Pay them in full because they did detail my boat after all
or
Pay them half or some other fraction because it is so late and I did cancel but they still did work for me
or
Tell them, I am sorry, but I cancelled, thanks for the free work though?

I feel bad doing or not doing any of it. <_<

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Man, that one is tough. I would talk give them 1/2 the cost or something like that. That way you can sleep at night and they should be ok with that.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My opinion ...if they came out after your cancellation you shouldn't have to pay them...It's poor job tracking on their part.

My husband does boat detailing, and if he makes the mistake of not keeping track of jobs or cancellations he takes the loss. He would have been the one to have messed up.

BTW- LSCN members get a discount

not too mention TEN WEEKS???? What type of good business is that?

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
In my opinion, it would be sorry about your luck!

It is bad business on their part if they can't track their appointments.

But in your case, it might be benefiscial to work an agreement and hit them up for future surveying referals!!!!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
10 weeks is a long time after cancelling. You also did it yourself, so how much work could there have been? I bet that they were asking you to pay full price for your boat. Sorry, there mistake is not your problem.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Jul 11 2003, 08:22 AM)But in your case, it might be benefiscial to work an agreement and hit them up for future surveying referals!!!!
I was going to say they should eat it....but Gary brought up a very good point.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Screw the refererals, let them eat it. As a surveryor you probably could provide more referals to them for boat detailing than they would provide for you. Maybe just offer to cover any material costs (wax and stuff - as this is money out of their pocket, the time is their loss). Typically I've found when buying a boat, you get the survey first, then ask him if he knows any good boat maintenance companies.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
This company does great work but their bookwork is not the best. Last year I went out to my boat and it was rubbed out. Turns out Mirror Image did it. I never hired them to do it. They rubbed the wrong boat. I felt bad and said "Wow, I feel really bad you guys put all this work into it. I wish I could do something for you" He replied and said you can give us $500.00. I said " Sorry about your luck"

I gave the guys $100.00 for it but the fact was I didn't hire them to do it so no way was I going to pay them the full price.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
10WEEKS!!! And no call setting the appointment before they came out. How did they know your boat was even going to be there? You could have been on a trip or something. If I put a customer off for 10 weeks and then showed up out of the blue to detail a boat I wouldn’t expect to get paid. Not to mention you cancelled the work. If it were me I would explain that you cancelled the work, did it your self and not pay. Being a business owner that does this kind of work I wouldn’t expect to be paid.

·
Registered
622 Posts
You cancelled, they did work they shouldnt, their error, their cost. To keep things in the good with the company, you offer two things.

1. You want to tip the workers that did the work, you would have anyway, the workers should not suffer because of poor management(Icant believe what I just said about poor management-the workers always suffer because of poor management)

2. Offer to pay the cost of materials, we all know its not much, but it shows you understand the business end and are a reasonable person

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I wouldn't pay, but if I felt bad about not paying I would definitely hire them next tim I needed detailing. Maybe they will remember you and come out to take care of you immediately next time.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We'll see if they call me again to collect. I will probably offer to pay the materials and ask who did it, so when I see the guys in the marina, I can slide them a bit.
I have had several customers of mine ask about detailing companies, and I have give them business cards to both Mirrorr Image and Tom Mini's buddy. It was originally supposed to be a discounted job anyway. Thanks for all the input guys, and gals.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I can understand trying to find out who did it, and sliding them something if you run into them, but to pay for the materials. Isnt that like saying "Hey you messed up, but I'll cover some of your expenses anyway."? They messed up, not you. If you pay for their materials, are they going to pay for yours? Of course not. You just paid doubled for all the materials AND you did the work yourself - was it easy? was it fun? did it take away any of your personal time from the water? family? friends?

I would tell them to get a new record keeping method, thanks for the job (after a total of how many weeks of waiting and no calls), that you are pleased with how it came out and will not hesitate to recommend them or call on them in the future.

Even in Jason's example, they did the wrong boat. He lucked out in that it was his boat they did, but imagine if it was his boat they DIDNT do. Should he pay twice the material costs because they did someone else's boat as well? Would you Jason? As for him giving "the guys $100.00" he gave it to them for doing it. Not Mirror Image. Do you think the comapny saw any of it? I highly doubt it. It was probably drank up before the end of the day.

When needed,I'll use Mirror Image to rub out my boat, just because of the great job I have read they do. Hey, there's a referral and a job they got that they wouldnt have gotten otherwise. Your "debt" has been paid. You're Welcome

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
On a legal side Mirror Image has the ability to collect from you! It is based on the theory of unjust enrichment. A mistake was made that you benifited from, consequently you own them something....Mike would have to sue you, and he would collect a %.
He has an outstanding bill at my office you can just pay me

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
garydebs had a good sugestion Hazy...work out an agreement with them so you guys can use each other's business services for referrals. But, on the other hand, look at how these guys do business.....tough call there.

I would offer to pay for materials > that shows you acknowledge the fact that they did do the work. However, brinik was right too - they should atleast confirm the appointment - what IF you were out of town on your boat, then they made a trip out there for nothin. The way some people run their businesses KILLS ME! If they keep this up, they won't be around too long........

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(Taxman @ Jul 11 2003, 10:40 AM)On a legal side Mirror Image has the ability to collect from you! It is based on the theory of unjust enrichment. A mistake was made that you benifited from, consequently you own them something....Mike would have to sue you, and he would collect a %.

So can I just show up at someone's boat and deatil it even if they dont know about it? I can say I must have made a mistake on the well number sorry but you have to pay me anyway or I can sue you for the money. If so it looks as if I will be getting a bigger boat sooner than I thought. I do feel for the business owner (a little) but the job was cancelled for eight weeks and the office knew it was cancelled EIGHT WEEKS before they showed up.

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
QUOTE(brinik @ Jul 11 2003, 12:21 PM)QUOTE(Taxman @ Jul 11 2003, 10:40 AM) On a legal side Mirror Image has the ability to collect from you! It is based on the theory of unjust enrichment. A mistake was made that you benifited from, consequently you own them something....Mike would have to sue you, and he would collect a %.

So can I just show up at someone's boat and deatil it even if they dont know about it? I can say I must have made a mistake on the well number sorry but you have to pay me anyway or I can sue you for the money. If so it looks as if I will be getting a bigger boat sooner than I thought. I do feel for the business owner (a little) but the job was cancelled for eight weeks and the office knew it was cancelled EIGHT WEEKS before they showed up.
he ordered it first

But yes.....there is a court rule that a person can not be unjustly enriched.....just like if the post office delivers you a package with the wrong info on it you can't keep it...if you try they can sue you. same goes if they paint your house, carpet.....just about anything...you may not have to pay full price but they can sue you and collect. <_<

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
Want to make sure everyone knows I would never do that.
Just doesn't seem fare. If I were to ever make this mistake I would never expect any one to pay me for it.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
10 weeks??!! That's like over half a boating season. To get a wax job??!! Maybe on a cruise ship or the Infinity or something. I'm sorry, but I'd say, "SUX TO BE YOU, maybe this will help you get your sh*t together so you don't make the mistake again." That's how you can "help them out". Teach them how to accurately track their jobs. If you pay them, they'll never learn.

Would you pay someone who you cancelled with for a new roof cause you wanted to do it yourself to save time; yet they came out and tore off the new shingles you put down and reshingled anyways? You cancelled, tell them to fly a kite.

Sorry, but that sounds hoakey to me. And as far as detailing the wrong boat, that sounds like a set-up, like they figure, ah well let's do this boat over here while we're in the area, maybe they'll feel bad and pay us. That's weird.

Taxman - TOO FUNNY!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts