Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a friend out this morning to cast for some toothy fish. This was the first time he's been out this year so I wanted to make sure he got something in the boat!

On our first spot right about sun up I hear "holy sh*t!!!!!". I look back & here comes a nice low 40's musky nose to tail on the black with orange blade buckie I tied last night that he was throwing. Not having a clue about musky fishing he slows everything down and the skie darts off. His eye's were like saucers!!! It was great! So I took a minute to explain figure 8's & things that might help when you get a follow.
Using the red buckie I tied last night I caught a 2lbs largemouth.

That was the only toothy fish we saw on that spot. So we headed just south of metro and drifted a break line I've had some luck on.
I had a quick on & off using the gold & chartreuse buckie but nothing else.

I then took him between slefridge & the salt drifting 6 foot of water toward the salt. After throwing the black & orange buckie for a while he put on the purple and within a few minutes he had 3 follows and 1 hit! He was so excited he forgot everything I showed him!
Nothing real big but hey it was toothy fish! We kept drifting for a while and I hear OOOO! Get the net!!! So I get my bait in and turn on the pump for the box. He's got a decent pike on! a couple minutes later I net it. A 34 incher. The biggest pikes he's ever caught!
Water Boat Fisherman Fish Outdoor recreation

He had no clue how to handle toothy fish by the gills so it was out of the water longer than it should have been. I dropped it in the box to re-coop. While that was going on my net went over board and thankfully got snagged on the motor (you can see it in the back ground)! I'm happy I didn't loose that.

All in all not a bad day and he want's to go out next sunday chasin toothy fish again. I think I've just converted a bass fisherman to a musky guy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Sweet report Jason!

Hey man, the net thing happens to the best of us!

I use a climbing sling and a carabeaner to clip mine to the boat after the fish is in. See below-

Here she kicked as I took her out of the net for the timed pic and the leash saved the net. Fish kick, things happen and it gets ugly. The leash has saved my net more than once. But I never dropped her!

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea on the leash! Fishing alone most of the time I'm surprised I haven't lost a net yet!

I gotta get a camera with a timer too. My digital aint that advanced.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(sirfishalot @ Oct 4 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hmmmmmmmmmm..maybe I need to take a black and orange with me on tuesday. great job and a great story to boot

I would and try the double willow leafs. They work great!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Oct 4 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great idea on the leash! Fishing alone most of the time I'm surprised I haven't lost a net yet!

I gotta get a camera with a timer too. My digital aint that advanced.

Olympus Stylus SW series. Waterproof, crushproof, freezeproof, shockproof. I have the 720 and the 790. You can find them if you know where to look for about $130.

RAM mount, modified camera mount and just leave it on the boat, rain or shine.

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Fender

Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Even submersible if you're so inclined.

Water Cloud Jaw Fin Underwater

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like they're discontinued. Should be fun trying to track one down especially since they're discontinued!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Yeah, they're older models, so you'd need to look for the current models....Stylus 1050 SW I think. Check out Olympus' site and see what the current model is. Then go from there. They update it every couple of years. Like I say, if you're interested let me know and I'll show you where to find one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:

"I like the orange bladed buck you have there.... In fact, the little voice in my head tells me that your going to catch a nice size musky on that lure when you hit the water
"

Damn, almost!!!

You guys look like you had fun... Hopefully I can make it out tomarrow if the weather holds out in the morning. Congrats to your freind on his first ski of the season. Always better late than never

1 - 13 of 13 Posts