Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I have a question about my motor. I have a 1988 150hp blackmax and when I took off the other day, just before I reached plane, the motor revved like I was in neutral and I lost all power to the prop. Then it just felt like it wouldn't go in gear after that and just revved when I tried. I took the lower unit off and when I spin the drive shaft with it in gear it doesn't drive the prop. The prop spins a little but you can stop it by hand. I don't think I hit anything in the river because I was in 20 ft of water and I didn't see or hear anything. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what went wrong? I am hoping that there is a simple common part that broke. I can't believe this happens right before the fall frenzy. This is my favorite time to fish. I would love some advice before I spend any money.

Thanks, Marcus

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not real sure, but try this website,
www.pfs-ware.com/kwast/mercboard/index.htm

They deal with primarly vintage mercs, but someone may be able to help you out. They have helped me tons on my old 500 merc.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not familiar with Blackmax, but you may want to pull the prop off and check the splines on it and on the driveshaft. They could be worn. Other than that, I do not know of any other parts that could cause your problem. I can ask a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable on boats to see if he has an idea. Also, try asking someone at a boat store. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.