Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25 johnston 1974......have to pump ball to keep running, sometimes not at all, other times veryhard and constant. i replaced tank, lines ball, and gas connectors. still no fix.......is it possible that the float in the carb is made of cork and a little piece of it came off and is jamming up????its driving me nuts, any help would be awesome. thanks

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(burton13 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>25 johnston 1974......have to pump ball to keep running, sometimes not at all, other times veryhard and constant. i replaced tank, lines ball, and gas connectors. still no fix.......is it possible that the float in the carb is made of cork and a little piece of it came off and is jamming up????its driving me nuts, any help would be awesome. thanks

You might have a crack in the diaphram inside the fuel pump. It's a cheap fix to get a new diaphram, check valves & gaskets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Zib @ Jun 27 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(burton13 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>25 johnston 1974......have to pump ball to keep running, sometimes not at all, other times veryhard and constant. i replaced tank, lines ball, and gas connectors. still no fix.......is it possible that the float in the carb is made of cork and a little piece of it came off and is jamming up????its driving me nuts, any help would be awesome. thanks

You might have a crack in the diaphram inside the fuel pump. It's a cheap fix to get a new diaphram, check valves & gaskets.

cool..thanks, ill give her a look

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
yes i agree it is the diaphram in the fuel pump had same problem on my merc and now it holds the gas at all times and starts right up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
make sure the ball you are using is not a cheapie from meijers and actually a evinrude/johnson ball, and that all your clamps are the right size and not sucking air, to me its either the wrong ball or bad clamps and your sucking air.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
doubleD i had a problem with my fuel line with the clamps but it was leaking fuel as appose to sucking air but that was only one of the problems i found on my motor but your right about a cheap ball and it sounds like he changed it after the problem started. just mt .02 worth

i believe that on a 1974 motor the float is aluminum or synthetic i know on my 64 it's synthetic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.