Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would imagine this thread would get alot of hits...
and since i need to have engine work done on two boats
here goes...
1) I have a '78 Mercury 40hp 402 with thunderbolt that needs a major tune up.
2) I have a pair of Chrysler Marine 318s that either need to be replaced or totally rebuilt.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Jim Bonaventure (sp) who runs Bonaventure (sp) marine service does good work, been in the business for at least 15 years. Parties with btenn sometimes, but not on the board. He has a small shop he works out of located on Harbor Nine's property. Sure you can find him if you look, maybe pm btenn for his phone number.

·
LSCN Sponsor
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!

keep em comin you all.
thats what this is all about
friend of a friend and all to help us all out!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Dynamic speed is great!!! Its at the marina at captiain cove,which is right next to the boat launch near selfridge(right near wiz s house)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Dave Zelke at North Marine, always did a great job for us and I believe he just worked on Jon's Sunsation

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
i'd also have to go with lenny at hideaway harbor

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
for the tune up i have a mechanic friend that would come to your place . that does on the side for extra money. and is pretty cheap.
the rebuild heard place in clawson is pretty good d&s engines on elmwood street , and reasonable,
pm me if you want his phone #

·
Registered
991 Posts
I started with North Bay, end up crating everything up and going to Lenny. Dave Z just fed me a lot of BS and I built a distrust with him. $1300 to pull two motors and tear one down and put them on a pallet for pickup. Question the bill and he wouldn't give me a break down and said it is what it is. Make what you want out of it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Lenny is good but for your needs you can also try Vicious marine Sparky is the owner. You also have Jim at Propellor Basin. Some other places only want certain Brands to work on. But the 3 mentioned here I believe work on anything.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(Aggressortom @ Aug 29 2003, 10:22 AM)I started with North Bay, end up crating everything up and going to Lenny. Dave Z just fed me a lot of BS and I built a distrust with him. $1300 to pull two motors and tear one down and put them on a pallet for pickup. Question the bill and he wouldn't give me a break down and said it is what it is. Make what you want out of it.
I don't know, we used to use Mark Poker over at Boca Grande and he is really good, probably the best, but he is slow and always over booked, so we switched to Dave, who did one of our friends boats and he always did a great job, he was quick, the price was right and anything he fixed never broke again. I do believe that Jon is pretty happy with the work they did also.

It does go to show that it really depends on what you want, the mood of the mechanic and if your personalities get a long or not. You can hear good and bad stories on just about any mechanic.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Aug 28 2003, 03:37 PM)Dave Zelke at North Marine, always did a great job for us and I believe he just worked on Jon's Sunsation
Yeah, he takes his stuff to Dynamic. Been there when it comes in.

Dynamic might cost a few pennies more but you get what you pay for. Ask P-29

1 - 20 of 20 Posts