Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just bought my helmet, gloves and wind resistant glasses.

I got a 3/4 helmet.....

the full looked claustrophobic to me... but now I'm wondering....

I have no chin guard, and if I crash and land on my face...

**shivers at the thought**

no protection.

my question is: what do you use and why?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I always use a full face for the freeway, I figure the more surrounding me the better.

I always use a "walnut" shell helmet (one that has really no protection, but covers you as far as the law goes) for cruising lakeshore, or riding casually.

However, the whole idea is kind of like putting on your seatbelt. We don't plan on getting in accidents, it's a Just in Case thing!

Have fun!

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
I wear the lowest profile DOT approved cover

"BRAIN BUCKET"
A quote from my friend the Emergency room Dr Anna Ledgerwood.
She says "Keeps all the gray matter in a tidy package"

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I use the full face cause it was always part of the sport bike image thing, plus I'm a Power Ranger so it goes with the outfit. I want to build my self a chopper this year so I'm gonna get the little bitty skull cap thing to ride that with.

I enjoy when I'm in Ohio (or any other state that can let adults decide for themselves) not wearing a helmet. I've known people that have messed up there squash a little and back on a ten bicycle doing maybe 20mph. So.....

But in both unplanned exits that I've had my head, or face rather,really never came close to the ground because natural instinct is to put your hands out in front of you when ya crash, so gloves are important. I was only doing twenty-ish both times. I'm not saying helmets are a waste of time but realistically I think of my full face helmet and more of a bug shield for the hi-way, cause in an accident at those speeds I dont see it doing much good if the rest of your person is all jacked up. if your gonna do more back roads or round town crusiing at 50mph or less open face is fine. Any faster than 45-50 the wind start to get annoying in the face, wind burn and all, like on a fast boat.

If you have tall windshield or fairing on a bike then its should be fine. I have a short windshield on my Bandit and have noticed that when I stand up on the pegs at a about 50+ theres a lot more cleaner air (no turbulence) up there two feet above the windshield. the windsheild keeps the windblast off my chest at hiway speeds tho.

am I rambling??............

did you get a bike yet?

"I bet she gives great helmet."-Dark Helmet

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
as a new rider your gonna find most sweeping corners a little disconcerting at first. you'll need to develope a feel for what speeds to go into certain corners at beware not to go in to them to fast. newbies tend to do that and then realize they are going to fast and they dont wanna lean the bike into it and instead kinda freeze up and use the brakes too much or end up running to wide into the dirt or other lane. this is bad no-no. the trick is to learn to trust your tires to hold the corner just go lightly on the brakes into the corner downshift if needed and roll thru and then power out about halfway thru. this all assuming your not blazing thru super fast and gettin' in big trouble. but I've known experianced riders including myself to make the same mistake and wipe out cause they didnt trust the tires and didn't pull the bike down into the corner hard enough.

also beware of brand new tires on a bike they sometimes have realease compound on 'em or are really smooth from the mold and can be really slippery. That why NASCAR guys blow out of the pitt spinnin' rubber, so the can break the tires in faster.

ok now I'm rambleing...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Full-face helmet for me.

I've had MANY bugs/pebbles/debris smack my face shield & said WHEW!, glad I had my shield down!

There is lots of junk in the air that you dont notice when you are driving around in a cage(car).

When it's really hot out & I'm going slow or stopped at a light I just flip it up.

I ride like an a$$, so I probably need the full face more than most people...............

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Apr 16 2004, 02:15 PM)"I bet she gives great helmet."-Dark Helmet

"You went OVER my helmet?!"

G

·
When I had my bike I had a full face helmet. I didn't have a windsheild or fairing and as speedfreak said, you'd be amazed by the amount of rocks and bugs and sand and grit on the expressway.

Are you taking the motorcycle safety class??

·
Registered
465 Posts
I know we're getting off topic, but if you are taking the class @ MCC, you will love it.
I took that class about 6-8 years ago. Didn't really think I needed it, since I've been riding cycles since I was 12 years old. Just took it because I wanted to get my endorsement.
I was surprised! I still learned some things!

I'm glad I took it.

P.S. DONT do any wheelies in class. They dont find it amusing! <_<

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some reason my pauligan id won't let me view anything....????

dunno why!

anyhow...
yes, c~girl and I are going to show up at the class at MCC tonight and see if we can get in. They are booked till september, but I was told if you show up, no problem on getting in.

The bike I'm getting is not a crotch rocket; I've always been partial to the harley look... so, the bike is a yamaha, but looks like the harley... and HUGELY cheaper.

and it has a windshield.

SOOOOOO excited!

G

·
Christine and I took it a while back at Schoolcraft and thought it was a great class and learned a lot. I think the most important thing they taught is that if you get in an accident, it will be your fault because you didn't indentify and anticipate the situation. You can say you had the right of way but if it's you against a car, the car will almost always win. It made me a much safer rider (and driver). Good luck getting in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have worn both helmets before and I prefer the full face helmet - like a lot of people mentioned all of the stuff that is in the air is pretty freaky and funky at times.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Full face for me, because that's all I've got. I HATE being forced to wear a helmet, it's not required in New Hampshire or Maine. But, rules are rules. Even though the statistics show that the percentage of injuries and fatalities is no different in a state with no helmet law that in states with one. But, that's a whole 'nother thread!

Pauline, I hope that you get into the MCC course, it might not be so easy as you were told. The only way you'll get in is if someone doesn't show up the 1st night. They only have a certain number of bikes for the students to use. It is a real good course, and for all of you licensed drivers, the experienced riders' course is just as valuable. I took it last year, with my own bike and I learned alot!

Live to Ride, Ride to Live!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
shoei orbit... love em...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts