Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to buy something to listen to music at work and the gym and my first thought was a cd player... but they are pretty bulky...

forgive my ignorance... but can you burn MP3 stuff on a computer in a cd burner? or do you need another mechanism installed physically?

Anybody have luck with this? Recommend anygood players, etc? I know my dvd player at home will handle mp3's... specifically wanting a hand held type with headphones...

????

thanks in advance for any [email protected]!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I just emailed Snow and asked him the same question...

I have a bunch of great songs on my computer that I'd like to play throughout my house so I'm wondering if I can buy a boombox that is an mp3 player to put in my lr or kitchen....

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Feb 26 2004, 09:05 AM)I'm wanting to buy something to listen to music at work and the gym and my first thought was a cd player... but they are pretty bulky...

forgive my ignorance... but can you burn MP3 stuff on a computer in a cd burner? or do you need another mechanism installed physically?

Anybody have luck with this? Recommend anygood players, etc? I know my dvd player at home will handle mp3's... specifically wanting a hand held type with headphones...

????

thanks in advance for any [email protected]!
Pauline,

Go to www.apple.com and check out the new Apple iPod™ for both MAC and PC. I know several people who have them. VERY COOL! Perfect for the gym, running, working out...and a gift forrr Georrrge

·
Registered
833 Posts
Buy a Apple I-pod. Small and compact, and it stores a lot of music. I see a lot of people using those, especially at the gym.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I've heard those Ipods are pretty cool, too!

Shandog, your puter has a sound card.....you need to run a cable from it to your home stereo or a boombox....

You should hear the Windows bing in surround sound!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I do believe that the ipod is HD based. Depending on how many tunes you will actually need there are a couple of options.

For the gym IMHO the smaller, memory stick based ones would be best suited. No chance of skipping and they are barely bigger than a watch. 64, 128 & 256 MB ones are available.

The IPODS are kickass though. a little bigger. the mini is
2" x 3.6" so would make any cardio tough with it in your pocket etc. Would be perfect to bring in the car/ boat and plug into front a/v inputs of stereo

I have a JVC mp3 player for my car. I couldn't live without it now. Uses regular cdr's or cdrw's. can fit over 100 mp3's on each cd. it rocks!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Feb 26 2004, 09:18 AM)Shandog, your puter has a sound card.....you need to run a cable from it to your home stereo or a boombox....

You should hear the Windows bing in surround sound!

I was wondering if I could do that...when I play the music in winamp the sound is unbelieveable and I'd like to hear that throughout my house...sometimes it's hard to work with the music blaring right here, but if it's in the kitchen then it's not so 'in my face' and I would be able to enjoy it, and still concentrate.

Can't actually see me drilling and running a cable line underneath the floor - I'll look into purchasing a special mp3 player if they have one that can be used w/out earphones when I get my tax refund back

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Everyone in the audience the other day on the Ellen Degeneres show got a free ipod...thought that was pretty cool

Just go to CA Pauline and get tix for her show....spend 250 on airfare and get your ipod for free

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Back when I was into downloading music I had the computer hooked up to the up stairs and down stairs stereos. Still have the RCA's run if I ever want to do it again. The only draw back was the cost of a 20ft high end RCA line to reach from the computer to the stereo.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Feb 26 2004, 09:51 AM)Back when I was into downloading music I had the computer hooked up to the up stairs and down stairs stereos. Still have the RCA's run if I ever want to do it again. The only draw back was the cost of a 20ft high end RCA line to reach from the computer to the stereo.
I found the cable online for $20!!! @ 50 feet. Maybe I should have bought a few!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Feb 26 2004, 09:05 AM)forgive my ignorance... but can you burn MP3 stuff on a computer in a cd burner? or do you need another mechanism installed physically?
i'm not a tech-geek either but don't you just directly download from your computer into an MP3 player via a wire hookup or something like that, you don't put in a CD or anything like that (or do you?)

you can burn MP3 format music onto a CD, at least with the program I have, and then you can listen to the CD in any standard CD player

G

·
a friend of mine has an mp3 player, that had a 10 gig hd in it he replaced it with a 60 gig, & down loaded every album he owned into it. plus quit a few others.
its now his " work tunes"
i'd like to get an i pod too but its not in the buget now

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I just bought this: iRiver_iFP_390T

it has a memory stick (built in 256mb... phooey on that) but it will never skip and it has an fm tuner... and had a review of 8.7 from 234 users on cnet.

If I didn't want the radio portion so badly, I would have for sure gotten the ipod; that has RAVE reviews!

After rebate @ best buy $169

·
Registered
268 Posts
Pauline I just recently bought an "irock 800" it has 128MB of memory so I can store about 1.5 hours of music on it. And it has an FM tuner too. 256MB would be better but I wanted to keep below $100. I got mine for like $85 shipped from www.compuplus.com

I love it. No more putting up with the crappy or old fogey music they play at the gym!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:

I [email protected] LOOOOOVVVVEEE this thing!!! great sound, convient, tiny, more than enough space...

Highly recommend this to anybody missing music in their lives. and the $20 rebate is good through the 28th!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hmmm I might have to buy one. It would come in handy on the bus.

I would have to take the bus into a car stereo place and have them attach a rca cable to the radio.

At the next gathering please bring it along so I can take a better look at it.

It would be safer to change tunes while driving with a MP3 player and many more tunes to be heard.

Trying to please everyone on the bus is a challenge.

People are to picky about everything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts