Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to love the smallmouth fishing we have available to us in this state. I have also noticed a large percentage of tournament bass fishing revolves around the smallmouth of St. Clair and Erie. One thing that has suprised me, is the number of people still fishing in bass boats. After being pounded for the hour drive up from the mile roads, around metro point to harley ensign, I swear my next boat is going to be a ranger 620 or Triton 205. After I stretch the knots out of my back at the launch, I wonder "why does everyone else still drive bass boats? These guys fish this lake more than I do!" It makes me wonder if there are major downfalls to the deeper multispecies boats? Two that come to mind are 1- shallow water use on inland lakes(bucketmouth fishing). 2- Higher profile = faster drifts in wind, less control. Any opinions either way? Thanks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
The two reasons that you list are the main rasons that I still use a "bass" boat. Another reason is that most of the multi-species boat driver's seats are swivel pedestal mounted as opposed to being mounted to a solid platform or base. I realize that you can lock them so they don't swivel, but being a big guy, the swivel pedestal mount just doesn't feel as solid under my big frame. The exception, that I have noticed, is the Champion Fishunter series. For a multi-species, I really like this boat. Their seats are mounted to a solid platform. Other minor drawbacks to multi-species would be that the windshields are kinda tall and a little closer to you when fishing on the front deck and the higher freeboard might present a problem if you like pitchin' and flippin' for green fish. This would be a problem for me because, while I love smallmouth fishing, I also love hand to hand combat in skinny water for big largemouths.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Ease of fishing from the front and rear decks and being able to pull through thin water are the main reasons. If I was dragging Erie all day I would consider a deeper V hull.

Plus we like to go fast....

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is my second boat the first was Bass and this one is a Javelin MSX I enjoyed them both, I took a wave over my bow for the first time,
that was last Sat. and 4 boats went under that day. As for the seats there is more to offer hydraulic seats and spring support seats that makes your ride nicer. The seats are easer to change over a Bass boat interiors. And for shallow water I see no difference between the boats. So far I'm very happy with my MSX boat But the dealership is a another story but I won't go there. What I think would be the ultimate boat for the Great Lakes would be a Donzi deep v hull 25' with casting platforms and bass seats.
Mike
www.erieanglers.com

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C'mon, tell me what you drive and why(ride, performance, money???) I'll start, Ranger 492VS 225EFI. Reason - got a really good deal on this boat used. I knew it was a big stable boat and top quality. Since owning it, I have learned that it is a great rough water boat for Erie and the Bay. Easily cruises over 2-3ft(consistent) waves. St. Clair moguls are another story. Maybe I should try a ski boat to handle the moguls, LOL!!!! As you can tell from the above post, I am torn in my decision for a new boat. Deep Vee or Bass???? Help me!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
deadstick, I haven't had much experience with a deeper boat (Walleye or multi species). I own a TR-22 and love it, yes with the 22 ft. you lose about 5-8 mph (25 pitch 4 Blade S.S. Prop) but the ride feels a little softer. You also have to consider the driver. An experience drive makes a big difference. My boat it self's been put thru some rough stuff on St. Clair and Erie. I think boat size is a big bonus and I personally wouldn't purchase anything under 21' bass boat (Triton that is) or not for St. Clair/Erie. Also I believe that Triton's coming out with a new style boat like a walleye boat with a bass style deck! Make sure you check out how each boat is made and the warranties the factory offers, sometimes on St. Clair and mostly Erie things don't last long in the rough stuff. Good luck.

Steve J.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is funny you mention the Triton Bass/DeepV boat. I was talking to the Triton rep last year about how much I wanted a 205 but I don't like the layout as much as a bass boat's. He said that it would not take much to design a new cap for the 205 hull and sell it to us smallmouth fisherman. Appearently he heard the same thing from others and talked to the right people to get it done. I will keep my eye out for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am running a TR-21 with a 225 opti. I love the ride in the rough water. My days of fishing all of the rough stuff are numbered so I will stay with a true bass boat. But if I was fishing Erie and St. Clair more I would go with a walleye rig.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Also run a TR21 and I can tell you it has got me through some nasty (expletive) this year and in years past. I love the ride but any bass boat is going to rattle your fillings on hot sunny Saturday on Clair.

My thought is if you don't mind fishing from the front of a deep V rig and your not slidding into wafer thin water, go with the Deep V. Personally, with my style of fishing, I need the open space of the bass boat.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was just by a repo place in Burton (near Flint) they had just brought in a Triton 205 with 225 Optimax. Name on the sign is Repo Brokers, it is on Saginaw St., just north of Grand Blanc.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Holy cow, 5-Alive is alive!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just barely. I have been doing some home remodeling, but that is done. Last night went out to see if I could still catch a fish, and wouldn't you know it, I still can, even though I busted a rod (brand new, 2nd cast). Must have been taking out my frustration on that poor 2 lber.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I first have to qualify this answer and tell all you full time fisherman that my heart may be in a bass boat, I purchased my Triton SF-21 (ski and fish) so that my three children can tube and ski as well as take all 5 family members in the boat comfortably(everyone has a comfortable seat)

With that said, the boat is powered by a 225 yamaha top end trimmed and calm water 66mph on gps, has a walk through windshield and has "adequate" decks on the front and back. The only benefit to the rough water is that you don't get wet and keeps the temp in the boat warmer than the open bass boat. I love the boat, but have been nervous to show up to any tournaments using the boat, so I keep fishing as a co-angler. The boat sits probably 6" out of the water more than the bass boat, but I haven't lost fish because of it. It does handle the rough water about 25% better than the standard bass boat.

It works for me and is a fun boat while still allowing me to fish........

Don

·
Registered
84 Posts
fishin4fun, you should check out the GNT weekday tournaments. Don't let your boat determine your fishing ability. You're more than welcome to come out and fish with the GNT fishing family. With our group of fishermen/women you'll fit right in. Even if you haven't made up your mind to fish one come up next Tuesday and check us out. Also if you choose to try the GNT, next Tuesday would be a good one. Doug has decided to waive the membership fee just for 7/22/03 tournament and it's only $60.00 per team to fish. Hope to see you out there!

Steve J.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Oh man, don't let the type of boat dictate fishing tournaments or not. It has nothing to do with your ability to catch fish. Just to put it into perspective, recently there have been a couple FLW anglers (I forget the names) that have shown up in smaller aluminums!

The whole key to buying a boat is completely analyzing what you're going to use it for. It sounds like you've done just that. You should show up to the GNT Tuesday night tournaments at Selfridge. Low pressure, lots of fun, great trail, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
On the walleye boats, the decks are too short to strap rods down for the rides. The only one I've seen it done successfully is the MSX from Javelin. That's what it was, I realize it's now called Stratos. I've not checked on the Champion. It looks as if it has a large enough deck.

The drift is a big one. The walleye boats drift like dragsters. Granted, you can put out drift socks, but I hate doing it because there is always a chance that kicker fish will find his way to it.

I personally hate riding that far forward due to the layouts of most multispecies boats. I feel like a Bulldog on the hood of a Mack Truck. I realize the disigners want to give plenty of room in the back for trolling/landing fish, but these are big water boats. The best ride is closest to the transom.

Every boat is a trade off. You just have to decide what you are going to do the most.

The Triton boat sounds interesting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts