Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever since the water level has been low i find myself not going out for fear of grounding . i used to go to little muscamoot all the time. i like to have 4 feet of water under my boat as it drafts 3 feet . i see big boats in munchies bay i would like to know how to get there from the north channel . i know it gets shallow around grass island . thanks for your help. hope to see you out there .

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Robusto, welcome aboard!

Where are you coming from? We keep our boat near the Colony tower in Algonac/Clay Twp.

As of last summer we went there quite a few times. If coming from there (the North Channel) you need to go ALL the way out to the lake, around the last bouy (to be safe). Then back North/North East, keeping Grassy Island to your Starboard side and well away from you. I like to keep 7 to 8 feet under me in that area and follow the natural curve back to East/North East, still keeping Grassy in sight off to my right. Then almost due East once the Fair Haven area is close and you'll drop right into it.

There were quite a few large boats out there last year and we had no problem getting in with 3 feet under us, fairly close to shore. I would imagine this year with another 10 inches or so there should be no problem. I found about 6 feet all the way until it cuts to 3 feet. From there I crept in and had a friend walk out and pull us by hand to where they were further in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks campari I may try that this weekend if the weather is nice. I live off the north channel close to the colony tower and keep my boat there to. hope to see you out there soon.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(robusto @ Jun 11 2004, 11:08 AM)I live off the north channel close to the colony tower and keep my boat there to. hope to see you out there soon.
No kidding?! We stay on the short side of the Colony canal ( only 5 minutes to the North Channel). If you're out, trying hailing us on 69 (just call for Campari).

Beautiful area up there! Wish we lived there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey,campari I made it to munchie bay yesterday. It was a nice ride. I had 11' to 12 ' feet of water almost all the way there. Did not stay long as it was kinda cold and windy. {bumer the kids wanted to swim} I'm going to the algonac harbor club this week end,they have a pool there ,should be fun . thanks again.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(robusto @ Jun 21 2004, 04:26 PM)Hey,campari I made it to munchie bay yesterday. It was a nice ride. I had 11' to 12 ' feet of water almost all the way there. Did not stay long as it was kinda cold and windy. {bumer the kids wanted to swim} I'm going to the algonac harbor club this week end,they have a pool there ,should be fun . thanks again.
Hey Robusto,
Welcome aboard first of all. When were you there on sunday? We were in Munchies Bay from about 1:30pm till about 5pm. We ere near the north end of the boats, and had 3 rafted together, our 270 sundancer, a 27'7" regal and a small 18' something or other. I know what you mean about cold water, went to scrub the bottom and felt the water up to my knee caps and deceided it was in my best personal health interest not to go in any deeper.

That was our first time there and it wasnt bad. We came across the lake from HCN and swung aroung grassy just as Compari said. The other 27' that meet up there slips at Decker's. He came out the north channel to the second green bouy and then cut across due north till he hit 6-8' of water and then turned east. He had no problem going either way yesterday.

Hope to see you out there some time.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hey Jim,

Do you know how much that 27' 7' Regal drafted??? Just wondering cause that sounds like a good short cut. I do know about the Baltimore cut off right next to the East side if Grass Island. It's deep 8'-12' but not marked. It use to be a long time ago but can still be a hassel getting thru there.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
hey Campari what kind boat do you have? we are out in the canal on the colony tower as well, right on colony drive, when you go into the canal form the n. channel, the first main canal on your right, a little frther down though about 10 minutes out

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(beachbum @ Jun 22 2004, 07:49 AM)Hey Jim,

Do you know how much that 27' 7' Regal drafted??? Just wondering cause that sounds like a good short cut. I do know about the Baltimore cut off right next to the East side if Grass Island. It's deep 8'-12' but not marked. It use to be a long time ago but can still be a hassel getting thru there.
Hey Beachbum,
sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. He draws about 31" with small twins and can't do more than 1000 rpm's with the outdrives lifted up. They're the OMC Stringer 800's and they use ball joints not universals like all the others.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Beachbum (and all others)

our friend Paul (with the Regal) says:
Tell him not to leave the North Channel until he clears the 3rd green can, then make a run for the 6-8' deep water before turning towards the Baltimore water tower. We made it back from Munchies "on plane" the whole way without any problems.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(Laguna @ Jul 1 2004, 12:17 AM)hey Campari what kind boat do you have? we are out in the canal on the colony tower as well, right on colony drive, when you go into the canal form the n. channel, the first main canal on your right, a little frther down though about 10 minutes out
Our boat is not in yet. May not go in til later this summer
(long story).

We have a '96 24' Larson. You'll see my parents' boat though, it's almost exactly the same as ours. White with blue graphix along the side. 3 houses down the canal from the tower on the West/South side of the canal.

Sounds like you're right around the corner from us! What kind of boat do you have? Even though our boat's not in we're there pretty often hangin' with the parents. We'll have to keep a look out for you, have ya stop in for a beer!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was out to munchies bay last saturday. the weather,water and beer were great. I got the boat back in nice and shallow,everyone in the family could stand. The bottom was smooth and sandy. The other boaters were well behaved and having lots of fun. The weather this coming weekend is going to be awsome and we plan to go back.Hope to see you out there,Stop by and have a cold one!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My parents always go out there with their firends. I was out there with them this Saturday and Sunday. They always go around Grass Island though. I can cut through between the island in shore, but I only have an 18' which probably drafts less than a foot on plane. My parents friends have inboards and they can still get back there. I have never seen it any deeper than 3-4' when cutting between the island so I would be careful going through there. It is about 15 minutes more at the most to go around.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(Big_Mike_LCA @ Jul 12 2004, 03:47 PM)My parents always go out there with their firends. I was out there with them this Saturday and Sunday. They always go around Grass Island though. I can cut through between the island in shore, but I only have an 18' which probably drafts less than a foot on plane. My parents friends have inboards and they can still get back there. I have never seen it any deeper than 3-4' when cutting between the island so I would be careful going through there. It is about 15 minutes more at the most to go around.
Now see, for me to go around, I'm always playing it safe and go WAY around the first bouy for the North Channel and then WAY around to the West of Grassy and it takes an extra 30 minutes AT LEAST (one way). I WISH I could use that Baltimore cut!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts