Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking at lots of body baits and the one feature that always stands out is some lure are using screw eyes and others use through wire construction. Do screw eyes really hold up to multiple muskie strikes? I tend to think they would just get ripped out so I have never tried them. Does anyone have any experiences with body baits using screw eyes to hold the hooks instead of through wire construction?

·
Registered
360 Posts
QUOTE(AlexG @ Aug 13 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I have been looking at lots of body baits and the one feature that always stands out is some lure are using screw eyes and others use through wire construction. Do screw eyes really hold up to multiple muskie strikes? I tend to think they would just get ripped out so I have never tried them. Does anyone have any experiences with body baits using screw eyes to hold the hooks instead of through wire construction?

I own a whole bunch of Muskie Magnets(Made By Kermit Good) and have not had any problems with screw eyes..

His lures are bullet poof.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Either method, works fine. Both require the same amount of care, and both will wear out. It is un-avoidable.

I have broken both screw eyes & thru wire.

Some screw eyes do pull out, and this can be fixed with 2 part epoxy and toothpicks. Also, thru wire will break off when twisted, or wear thru at the joint.

Both ways will provide you dozens and dozens of fish, before you have a failure, in most cases. Every now and then...one will break (either style) after one fish, that does something screwy, in the net.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
In the few years I have been fishing I have had only 1 screw eye get pulled out of a bait. I have had more split rings twisted off then that. I usuall replace the split rings on factory baits like Rapala etc. Rick James better have used good ones. LOL

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Aug 14 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In the few years I have been fishing I have had only 1 screw eye get pulled out of a bait. I have had more split rings twisted off then that. I usuall replace the split rings on factory baits like Rapala etc. Rick James better have used good ones. LOL

lol. Nothing but the best Bob!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts