Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got the supplies I needed to make a muskie live well. So far I got the box and the hardware attached. Now I need to get the pluming done then take it apart for finishing. Does anyone have a good idea on what I can coat the inside with for water proofing? I was thinking of coating it with 3M 5200. Here are some pictures so far.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Automotive exterior Composite material

Table Wood Flooring Rectangle Hardwood

Attachments

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
If I was you I would fiberglass it. It is a really easy process and it would make it last a lot longer than any type of waterproofing you would put on it. Also looks like you already have some musky bait in the box. LOL

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 7 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I was you I would fiberglass it. It is a really easy process and it would make it last a lot longer than any type of waterproofing you would put on it. Also looks like you already have some musky bait in the box. LOL

Is that a Mag Dawg or a Pounder in the box?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was thinking about doing one soon myself. I was planning on using 5200 on the joints and using some type of water seal like thompsons on the wood. THo I have to say glassing the inside would be a good idea if you have worked with it before.

For simplicities sake I would stick with the water seal & 5200.

Ya know PM troller11 & jquitano to see what they used.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Yes if you don't want to itch for a week or two use what jason said. Fiberglass is very messy and very itchy. and it doesn't matter what type of protection you use it will be all over you.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I may be wrong but I do not believe that Dennis has any wood in his box. I think it is a 100% poly-plastic material. Don't think I have ever seen one made primarily of wood. I imagine if you could glass the inside that might work. Perhaps cut some plexi-glass, screw to the wood, and seal up the seams. That would keep it clear on the inside and let your wood finish show thru. That might actually look real nice...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(heimskr @ Sep 7 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was thinking about doing one soon myself. I was planning on using 5200 on the joints and using some type of water seal like thompsons on the wood. THo I have to say glassing the inside would be a good idea if you have worked with it before.

I know what to do now as soon as you said fiberglass. I am not going to use fiberglass but west system epoxy can be used on its own as a barrier coating. I still have some left over the last time I did some fiberglass work. A couple coats of that and that wood will be sealed.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
looks familiar lol i lined mine with aluminum and i would use diffrent hinges they look like mine and if they are they will bend easy
Furniture Wood Table Floor Flooring

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(AlexG @ Sep 7 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(heimskr @ Sep 7 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was thinking about doing one soon myself. I was planning on using 5200 on the joints and using some type of water seal like thompsons on the wood. THo I have to say glassing the inside would be a good idea if you have worked with it before.

I know what to do now as soon as you said fiberglass. I am not going to use fiberglass but west system epoxy can be used on its own as a barrier coating. I still have some left over the last time I did some fiberglass work. A couple coats of that and that wood will be sealed.

Great idea on the epoxy barrier!

As far as the hinges go I would use simple full length piano hinges. Simple, strong and they don't bend easy if you secure them properly.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might have to add more hinges but the top flips until it is resting on the back side of the box so there will be less wear and tear on them. I just have to get the holes for bulk heads done and I am ready to epoxy.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
thats a good idea with the hinges

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nice looking box.

You could glue in 1/8" thick plexiglass and caulk the corners will silicone kind of like an aquarium.

I would put some rubber feet on the bottom so it doesn't slide around the boat.

It looks like you made it from dimensional lumber (not plywood). I would be concerned that the wood could split at the handle locations (close to the top edge) if you lift it when it is full of water since water is so heavy. I would through bolt the handles if you plan on lifting it when it is full of water.

Make sure you post a pic with you first resident in there!!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(workingman @ Sep 7 2009, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice looking box.

You could glue in 1/8" thick plexiglass and caulk the corners will silicone kind of like an aquarium.

I would put some rubber feet on the bottom so it doesn't slide around the boat.

It looks like you made it from dimensional lumber (not plywood). I would be concerned that the wood could split at the handle locations (close to the top edge) if you lift it when it is full of water since water is so heavy. I would through bolt the handles if you plan on lifting it when it is full of water.

Make sure you post a pic with you first resident in there!!!

I will be sure to get a picture when one gets in the box. I was thinking about plexiglass my only worry is that if water gets behind the seal it will rot the wood out behind it. I see what you are saying on the handles ripping out if it is full of water. I don't plan to try and lift it when its full but if that ever comes up bottom support will be needed to lift it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts