Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well there have been a few on here that doubt that our great fishery can produce record class muskie. Well I have scientific proof from study's by talking to the DNR that indeed LSC Muskie can potentially reach that class. Here are the facts.........

The DNR have only done study's on smaller 40's inch fish because they just can't catch the bigger ones. Somehow they swim out of the nets. That being said....

DNR FACT...............A 45 inch Muskie will gain no less than 6 pounds body fat over the winter.
DNR FACT...............A 50-52 inch Muskie will gain no less than 8 to 10 lbs over winter

With these scientific facts let's use Bondy's 55 for example. Bondy's fish at 55 inches and low to mid 40 lbs will gain more than 10 pounds over the winter. Say his fish was 43lbs??.....That's over a 53 lb fish in the fall. NOW take a 56 to 58 inch Muskie which we know live in the lake.......that's scary. I wish somebody would just catch one of these things and put it to rest

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
where were the studys done ill have to see if i can find the magazine but i read a article where it said a 50 inch muskie weight may vary as little as 3 lbs a year in warmer water due to body fat weight gets replaced by egg weight as they develop before the spawn.
but im sure water temp has to be a factor look at largemouth bass in florida and california alot larger then we get here in michigan

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 12 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>where were the studys done ill have to see if i can find the magazine but i read a article where it said a 50 inch muskie weight may vary as little as 3 lbs a year in warmer water due to body fat weight gets replaced by egg weight as they develop before the spawn.
but im sure water temp has to be a factor look at largemouth bass in florida and california alot larger then we get here in michigan

this study was done by the DNR on Lake St Clair

·
Vendor
539 Posts
QUOTE(schram @ Jun 12 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's over a 53 lb fish in the fall. NOW take a 56 to 58 inch Muskie which we know live in the lake.......that's scary. I wish somebody would just catch one of these things and put it to rest

Geez Schram...so what you waiting for?

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE(schram @ Jun 12 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well there have been a few on here that doubt that our great fishery can produce record class muskie. Well I have scientific proof from study's by talking to the DNR that indeed LSC Muskie can potentially reach that class. Here are the facts.........

The DNR have only done study's on smaller 40's inch fish because they just can't catch the bigger ones. Somehow they swim out of the nets. That being said....

DNR FACT...............A 45 inch Muskie will gain no less than 6 pounds body fat over the winter.
DNR FACT...............A 50-52 inch Muskie will gain no less than 8 to 10 lbs over winter

With these scientific facts let's use Bondy's 55 for example. Bondy's fish at 55 inches and low to mid 40 lbs will gain more than 10 pounds over the winter. Say his fish was 43lbs??.....That's over a 53 lb fish in the fall. NOW take a 56 to 58 inch Muskie which we know live in the lake.......that's scary. I wish somebody would just catch one of these things and put it to rest

Is this study published somewhere on the internet?

You are using the terms "over winter". Winter does not even begin until around December 20th. Our season closes mid December, so I don't think anybody is going to be able to catch these fish.

If the DNR has "only done study's on smaller 40's inch", how can they accurately guess that these larger fish will gain this much weight?

Any LSC muskie that can touch the 40 pound mark is extreamly rare. Bondy's 55x24 is a monster. Most of the Muskie Weight Calculators that I have seen put the fish at around 39-40 pounds. I wonder where that beast is spending most of its time (LSC, Detroit River, Lake Erie).

Slowly more and more fish seem to be hitting the 35 and 40 pound marks. Lets just wait and see when/if we get a 45 pounder.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
At least 15 years ago In-Fisherman magazine said that Lake St.Clair is the only lake in the US that has produced 5 musky over 50 lbs. They were all caught before my time, back in the 20's to 40's if I remember right. I have never seen proof of this or heard of this claim since. Has anyone else? I will spend the rest of my days chasing one like that.....

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(mrymar @ Jun 12 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(schram @ Jun 12 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well there have been a few on here that doubt that our great fishery can produce record class muskie. Well I have scientific proof from study's by talking to the DNR that indeed LSC Muskie can potentially reach that class. Here are the facts.........

You are using the terms "over winter". Winter does not even begin until around December 20th. Our season closes mid December, so I don't think anybody is going to be able to catch these fish.

If the DNR has "only done study's on smaller 40's inch", how can they accurately guess that these larger fish will gain this much weight?

Any LSC muskie that can touch the 40 pound mark is extreamly rare. Bondy's 55x24 is a monster. Most of the Muskie Weight Calculators that I have seen put the fish at around 39-40 pounds. I wonder where that beast is spending most of its time (LSC, Detroit River, Lake Erie).

Slowly more and more fish seem to be hitting the 35 and 40 pound marks. Lets just wait and see when/if we get a 45 pounder.

The study was not from the internet but rather an over the phone conversation with the DNR. I would bet my life that Bondy's fish was over 40 lbs. I have caught 2 in that class one at 40 lbs and 1 in the low 40's so I know what they look like lol. IMO and from what the DNR officer said...Bondy's fish is proof of a 50 pounder in St Clair or MORE. John go ahead and hook that one again in the fall ok?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(DRP @ Jun 12 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At least 15 years ago In-Fisherman magazine said that Lake St.Clair is the only lake in the US that has produced 5 musky over 50 lbs. They were all caught before my time, back in the 20's to 40's if I remember right. I have never seen proof of this or heard of this claim since. Has anyone else? I will spend the rest of my days chasing one like that.....

well the 20's and 40's are BACK. Everything goes in circles and history repeats intself. Music, politics etc etc....it all comes right back around. What..do peeps really beleive that these fish just stopped growing lol. And I don't care how long ANYBODY has been fishing this darn lake...Just because you haven't caught or seen it yet (not you jon or anyone specific)...DOESN'T mean she's not there

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Well......maybe the pollution of the 60's, 70's and 80's stunted them a bit. Now the lakes are cleaner and with the water clearer, the sight feeders like musky are really doing well. All theory of course......If I had to crawl around in the dark to get that bag of doritos, I would be skinnier than if I could just see it across the room and go directly to them.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(schram @ Jun 12 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(mrymar @ Jun 12 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(schram @ Jun 12 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well there have been a few on here that doubt that our great fishery can produce record class muskie. Well I have scientific proof from study's by talking to the DNR that indeed LSC Muskie can potentially reach that class. Here are the facts.........

The study was not from the internet but rather an over the phone conversation with the DNR. I would bet my life that Bondy's fish was over 40 lbs. I have caught 2 in that class one at 40 lbs and 1 in the low 40's so I know what they look like lol. IMO and from what the DNR officer said...Bondy's fish is proof of a 50 pounder in St Clair or MORE. John go ahead and hook that one again in the fall ok?

i work with the guy who caught the 41.45 lb muskie in one of the momc tourneys in 2007 his fish was 54 inches but had a 26 inch girth 2 inches bigger then johns both beautiful fish but around 40 lbs should be right seeing both close to the same length unfortunately his is on the wall great job on releasing that fish

·
Registered
360 Posts
QUOTE(schram @ Jun 12 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(mrymar @ Jun 12 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(schram @ Jun 12 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well there have been a few on here that doubt that our great fishery can produce record class muskie. Well I have scientific proof from study's by talking to the DNR that indeed LSC Muskie can potentially reach that class. Here are the facts.........

Translation: Hear say anyone? I did a survey over the phone and the results were that I was going to win the lottery.. Still has not happend...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
QUOTE(schram @ Jun 12 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well there have been a few on here that doubt that our great fishery can produce record class muskie. Well I have scientific proof from study's by talking to the DNR that indeed LSC Muskie can potentially reach that class. Here are the facts.........

Schram - I applaud your carisma about world class muskies on LSC, and hope you prove they exist here. 50+ years of record keeping have not, but I would love to see them here, too.

Stating here are the facts???? You can't make statements, like The larger muskie swim out of the nets somehow???? Yep, that sounds factual to me.

The DNR just can't catch the bigger ones???? More facts....

Maybe you should spend some time on the Channel Cat with the DNR. Guess all the fish over 48" they have netted over the years, were not BIG. Maybe Mike Thomas can provide you with the facts of what they have studied in their creel the past 10/15 years. I am certain the facts will be there, that they have trapped big ones (depends on what BIG is, i guess). Heck, they posted a pic of one this year on LSCN, which was over 50 inches from memory. Not BIG either, I guess.

DRP - your fish this week, is the closest thing in over 50 years, to come anywhere close to the, alleged fish from the 20's and 30's. Beautiful fish.

Just a note, we shouldn't forget legal spearing of muskies in the 20s-60s did bad things to the muskies, too. Many were taken in the 50's and 60's by iron thru the ice. These are facts, you can find in the old newspaper archives, with the winter carnival results. The famous "Anchor Bay Beacon". One of Bob's favorite writing stomping grounds.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
QUOTE(DRP @ Jun 12 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At least 15 years ago In-Fisherman magazine said that Lake St.Clair is the only lake in the US that has produced 5 musky over 50 lbs. They were all caught before my time, back in the 20's to 40's if I remember right. I have never seen proof of this or heard of this claim since. Has anyone else? I will spend the rest of my days chasing one like that.....
State record Great Lakes Musky is 48-0 lbs.

I talked to one of our biolgist just last week. He said the ones here in LSC will never get as big as those from Georgion bay or the St. Lawerance river. Even if all is C&R, they will only get as big as they are now. He doesn't see any length changes forthcoming for C & keep.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
think about it before everyone jumps on my a$$ for this.....shut down the muskie fishery for 2 years, hell, shut down all fishing on st clair for 2 years....imagine how many fish can grow to trophy potential in that time. fishing is not like it was back in the day, we have done great damage to the stock of fish nationwide. World record sturgeon weighed in at over 1000lbs, about 100 years ago. there is noone to blame but ourselves as to why fish like that are not around anymore. People wonder why a 25lb bass only comes along once every century.....

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well....imo humble opinion there are 2 things you have to take into consideration. The HEAD and the TAIL END. If I recall I remember seeing that MOMC muskie and remember thinking..."Wow that thing has a small head for the girth!" Lenth vs girth. Now in MY mind length added to a fish will equal more pounds than girth. Length per square inch on a muskie would blow your mind vs girth per pound. Bondys fish will weigh more than your buddys if the head and tauil are wider. And judging by the pics from both bondys spring fish has a way bigger head and backside than the MOMC fish = more lbs. His fish NO DOUBT is over 40 lbs and in the fall 50 + lbs. I don't think even Jon realizes the potential of the fish he caught lol.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(walleye mike @ Jun 12 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DRP @ Jun 12 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At least 15 years ago In-Fisherman magazine said that Lake St.Clair is the only lake in the US that has produced 5 musky over 50 lbs. They were all caught before my time, back in the 20's to 40's if I remember right. I have never seen proof of this or heard of this claim since. Has anyone else? I will spend the rest of my days chasing one like that.....

I talked to one of our biolgist just last week. He said the ones here in LSC will never get as big as those from Georgion bay or the St. Lawerance river. Even if all is C&R, they will only get as big as they are now. He doesn't see any length changes forthcoming for C & keep.

as big as they are now?????? There 58 frickin INCHES!!! Put the max pounds on that Muskie and you have a world class Muskie. I know what I know and I've seen what I've seen and nobody will tell me different after that. You will all see mark my words......

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Funny thing.... I called Joe Fittante last night (37 years as a taxidermist) He said if that thing would have been full of eggs, it would have been 26 inches round and likely close to 50 lbs. He advertises in Musky Hunter, and has done a ton of them. His calculations put the fish as is at 42.5-43 lbs......I guess I should have shoved a downrigger ball down it's gullet! Some people say that in different regions, the maximum girth extends further along the fish, creating a heavier fish overall, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
QUOTE(schram @ Jun 13 2009, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(walleye mike @ Jun 12 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DRP @ Jun 12 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At least 15 years ago In-Fisherman magazine said that Lake St.Clair is the only lake in the US that has produced 5 musky over 50 lbs. They were all caught before my time, back in the 20's to 40's if I remember right. I have never seen proof of this or heard of this claim since. Has anyone else? I will spend the rest of my days chasing one like that.....

as big as they are now?????? There 58 frickin INCHES!!! Put the max pounds on that Muskie and you have a world class Muskie. I know what I know and I've seen what I've seen and nobody will tell me different after that. You will all see mark my words......

Have you seen a 58" measured musky from LSC? Measured, not a guesstimate.

I would think Jon's is about as big as they will get here. Could have very well challenged for a record. But will never know unless it is weighted. Guesses don't mean a thing. Biologist did indicate C&R kill much more musky than any other cause. So a rise in the minimum length would not do any good. I would think 95% of the muskys are released anyway. And he agrees. And they do have a life expectancy and don't grow forever. Just like humans few get to be really old (30 yo for musky, 100 for humans)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.