Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Went out around 4 pm out of Crocker Launch. Headed out past Huron Point from Metro to find clear water. Ended up fishing the area straight out from Huron point around a half to 3/4 mile or so out South East of the point. Anywhere from 9 to 12 FOW. Had my first fish on around 5:30. Lost it at the boat as it was getting netted by my brother. Did a snap as he scooped it in and it lost the hook and launched itself off the rails of the net and was gone!
It looked like around a 40-42" fish.

Next fish came around 6:20 pm. My brother just changed back to a Brunner Bummers Bee, and within ten minutes, yelled "Fish On"!. After a short fight, he got the fish to the side of the boat where I contemplated knocking his off the hook as payback.

Well, being my brother and all, I couldn't come to do it, so I went ahead and netted his Muskie for him. Was a nice fish in the 38" range. While trying to carefully remove a deep swallowed hook, my brothers fingers came in contact with some of the Muskies teeth. Big mistake! Good thing for electrical tape on the boat.
. TIP: electrical tape a must for any emergency first aid kit!
Got a few quick pics and sent the fish on it's way.

About 7 pm he had a follow from a fish right to the boat. Nice Muskie about 36-40".
Glen circled his lure in the water and the fish did do about a half circle around it before descending and taking off.

We called it about 7:30 pm. Was a lot of floating surface weeds out there today, and a lot of jet skiers out there. Had one yellow jet ski pass about 25' from the boat, not happy about that knucklehead. Boat traffic was heavy also. A lot of big boats cruising around kicking up the lake quite a bit. Wind was light and out of the S.E. We would have stayed out later but the traffic is what changed our minds.
Couldn't get the pic uploaded, so I sent to Jason if he wants to post it.

Sad note of the day, I put on a new Brunner "Bummers Bee" that I picked up at Jimmys a week or two ago to replace my almost tailess old Bummers Bee. After about ten casts, that sucker went sailing out towards the middle of the lake, never to be seen again. Looked to see what happened, and the clevis was opened. Must not have closed it right, a possability, but it did seem very very weak on spring pressure to stay closed. It was the clevis on the 12" leader I put on yesterday. Bought some new Berkley leaders, and not very happy with them, they all seem weak in springback after looking at them. Retired that bad one after that. So keep an eye on the leader snaps for wear and to make sure they close right.

Tight lines and good luck when getting out!

PS- The Bummer Bee was the hot color today!

Water temp was warm, showed 79-81 F

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention I met I think JG10 from the LSCN website out there today. Nice to meet you. Send me a PM when you get a chance. And, if I got the name wrong, sorry. I stink with names.
Tight lines!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
QUOTE(Junkster @ Aug 14 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good report Propwash and good job on the netting! Is that your brothers blood on the musky?

Thanks Junkster,
LMAO! As a mater of fact, yes. The fish gave a little from the deep hook, but I would say two thirds was my brothers donation. We had to wipe his hand for pics

No pain, no gain! His fingers got their a$ss kicked by the toothy critter!!!! I told him to let me do it, but because the fish didn't move he said he got it. I saw him putting his hand near the jaw to open it and I said I wouldn't do that Glen.
Then, WAP!! WAP!!! WAP!!!!The fish saw them fingers and ceased my brothers control as he let out a son @#!$%&#@. I took over to spare the poor fish any injury, brother came second
. I forgot to take a pic of his fingers wrapped in tape. At the dock a guy asked what happened, I couldn't wait to say, "Go ahead and tell him",

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Aug 14 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Junkster @ Aug 14 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good report Propwash and good job on the netting! Is that your brothers blood on the musky?

Thanks Junkster,
LMAO! As a mater of fact, yes. The fish gave a little from the deep hook, but I would say two thirds was my brothers donation. We had to wipe his hand for pics

No pain, no gain! His fingers got their a$ss kicked by the toothy critter!!!! I told him to let me do it, but because the fish didn't move he said he got it. I saw him putting his hand near the jaw to open it and I said I wouldn't do that Glen.
Then, WAP!! WAP!!! WAP!!!!The fish saw them fingers and ceased my brothers control as he let out a son @#!$%&#@. I took over to spare the poor fish any injury, brother came second
. I forgot to take a pic of his fingers wrapped in tape. At the dock a guy asked what happened, I couldn't wait to say, "Go ahead and tell him",

lol That is exactly why when it comes to pike, musky, and walleye, I'll NEVER put my bar ehands anywhere near there mouth unless I am posing for a pic and grabbing a bigger pike/ski near the gill. Glad he's ok, and it was worth it to keep the fish in the boat.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know if they make a special glove for handling the jaw area while removing hooks, or if the pros here have any input or recommendations on this, please toss it out here.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good report! I hate those damn jet skis! I have noticed this year more than years past an erosion of boater etiquette. Be it at the boat launch or out on the lake. Its not just LSC it on EVERY lake I've been too this year.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Aug 14 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does anyone know if they make a special glove for handling the jaw area while removing hooks, or if the pros here have any input or recommendations on this, please toss it out here.

Thanks

Good report... I like to use lip grippers . but there is a glove that lindy makes. you can get them anywhere. I know gander has some. I should probably start using something. my hands are pretty scard up

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Aug 14 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(propwash @ Aug 14 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does anyone know if they make a special glove for handling the jaw area while removing hooks, or if the pros here have any input or recommendations on this, please toss it out here.

Thanks

Good report... I like to use lip grippers . but there is a glove that lindy makes. you can get them anywhere. I know gander has some. I should probably start using something. my hands are pretty scard up

Thanks Spinnerbait! Heading to Gander Mountain now for head net to keep the Gnats off at night. $2.99 each.
Sweet fish in the avatar too! Damn!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts