Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time salmon fisherman and have decided to spend some time this season fishing muskie. I recently bought a bunch of lures from a friend who was moving away. I wish I had also bought his rods and reels.
Can anyone give me a few suggestions for rod, and reels ?
Could some of the salmon reels be used ? I have Diawa line counters and many old Penn's.
If I'm correct downrigger rods are probably to limber for muskie and possibly to long.

Any help is appreciated,
thanks ,
ed

·
Registered
147 Posts
It sounds like you have a good start.

I use Penn 210s and 310s. Downrigger rods are generally fine. The rods I use are 6' for downrods. ( these are stiffer than a downrigger rod) 8-9' for planer boards ( downrigger rods work well here) 12' for outrods.
Spool the reels with 40 lb. test mono. Make some 6 ft long mono leaders. (50-60 lb test) Use ball bearing swivels and quality snaps.

What kind of baits did you get?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Downrod,
I bought about twenty Believers. Mostly various greens and some yellows. I know they are not as popular as years ago but they should still catch a fish or two.
Thanks on the rod info. I'll look into some 6 ' rods.

ed

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't let anyone tell you that Believers don't catch fish. They are an excellent bait, especially the old ones. I still run them quite a bit and they do produce. ( The big ones like them) Perch, Frog, and Bass patterns work best for me.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts