Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice trolling for muskie sorry Bob.I was wondering about the weighs used.I use 4-6 oz on my boards 2-4 on my boat rods and 8 oz on the prop wash.Does this seem ok to start with.I have caught some musky this way and had some hits.But I was wondering if I am doing it right.I also troll anywhere between 3.8 -5.0.I listen to people going 6 for 9 and so on I could never do that the way I am going.Any info I can get would be much appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I do that my baits are dancing on top of the water even at slow speeds.Is there a tip on how To keep them down.Should I run my lines back further.Currently I run them back around 30'.Thanks for thr reply back Joe

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I think I'll take up trolling again. I have an idea and with so many big fish in the system anymore I should do quite well. I know a lot of the fellows usually do between 3 and 4 MPH and I think that is fast enough for most of the trolling. High speeds wil take a lot of fish no doubt but I get bored trolling that fast. Your weights seem right for the speeds and depth your using PAPA. Try some of your lines at 40 or 50 feet. As Muskhunterjoe said he used no weights and I use to long line myself back in the old days and I took a lot of fish this way. At high speeds you will have to let out 100 fet of line or more with no weight. It depends on the lures you are using. My Two bits. Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
this has been my first year musky fishing, but i think im starting to figure it out. we run our board rods on average about 30ft back with 2oz of weight. our down rods we run 5ft back with 16oz or15ft with 10oz. we have tried long lining, but trying to keep the lures clean proves almost impossible. our board rods take 90% of our fish. we run from on average 4.5mph
our best day (which happened to be my first day) we went 7 for 9, with a beast 50" fish. but since then we average 3 for 5 in 4hrs

all i can say is dont give up, and keep putting in your time till you get it figured out. it also helps to fish with someone who might be able to teach you a few tricks along the way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pencilplugger I think you might have nailed some of my problems.I do have a hard time tuning some of my baits.I just bought a new loke St lawrence and $9 bass brand new and had alot of trouble getting it to run properly.I must be doing something wrong when tuning.I am just going to keep trying there is sure alot to learn.Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
82 Posts
A big key is location. In some places the fish are really stacked up, others, they are scattered, even though you should run into at least a few anywhere on the lake right now. Board rods, anywhere from 2-4 oz. about 30-40 ft. back. Down rods, 5-7 oz. about 7-10 ft. back. This system should land you fish. Best day was 21 for 30 this year, and that was about a week ago.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
21 for 30? ....... wow!

Makes me want to go Muskie fishing with you.

I am going to have to get one of you guys to take a Bass fishermen out one of these days. Sounds like alot of fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was out this weekend and got 2 fish (my only 2 that day) at 4oz at 20 ft. The weights and distances everyone is discussing is right in the range of what I have been doing. I am wondering what area's everyone is trolling?? I know the canadian side produces more fish.

I am glad I found a good forum to discuss this stuff.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(Papa Canuck @ Aug 10 2004, 01:03 PM)Sunday I was trolling from the firecracker to the St Clair light.I went 0 for 3.The first hit was big it broke my snap swivel in half.
Big fish, big snaps/swivels. Learn from my mistake. Go big and spend a couple of bucks for the best. Should be around 60/80#. I know guys that run bigger#'s. They rarely lose a fish due to tackle failure. We use bigger than that. Only lost one fish this year and that was due to me - failure to check the line for fray. Lazy, lazy, and more lazy. Won't happen again. It was a good fish, real good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.