Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
OK....

A little something, to challenge your 'old school' LSC fishing hot spots knowledge. Many of the names were used by 'old timers' to name 'their spots' - back in the day. Some are more recent. Some are easy, and others not so much. Choose from the list below, or name them all.

Challenge - Name the nearest location on LSC, where you believe the 'hot spot' is located. (ie. Delphine - Grosse Pte, Firecracker - South Channel)

Tic Tac, Ball & Chain, Beach Ball, Miss Michigan

The Wall, ESPN Hole, Iron Man, The Fingers

3 Trees, Big Brother, The Mansion, Art Van

20ft Hole, Sturgeon Hole, Gracie, 7 Sisters - south

Shark's Fin, 7 Sisters - north, The Sticks, The Stakes

Wine Glass, Black Forest, Melody, Whale Back

Cadillac-qua, Lone Tree, J-Marker, N-Marker

Bauer's Boat Livery, The Spike, Rabbit Ears, Schrams' Boat Livery

Bradley's Marsh, The Gauntlet, Twin Brothers, The Cemetery

Putting my money on Pikescale & muskiebobsr to get the most correct.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
this is a trick! no one "owns" a spot on LSC so we can't use "their" names... Pretty tricky

sorry had to be a wise azz since I didn't have a chance in the deleted thread.

·
Registered
478 Posts
"Whale-Back", isn't that what we called Hooked-Up's last girlfriend? I think we threw her into the water out by the weather monitor, so that is where I think "Whale-Back" would be located!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(crawdad @ Sep 29 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sturgeon hole, also known as the 240 hole, 240deg compass heading out of Mitchell's Bay.

The stakes, marking walpole island, natives land

That's all I got...

I think the Sturgeon Hole and the 240 Hole are different. The sturgeon hole I know is where LSC flows into the DR on the Canadian side. The 240 hole is a 240 heading out of Mitchells Bay until you hit 18-20 feet of water. The 240 hole I know is more mid lake.....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(Contender @ Sep 29 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK....

A little something, to challenge your 'old school' LSC fishing hot spots knowledge. Many of the names were used by 'old timers' to name 'their spots' - back in the day. Some are more recent. Some are easy, and others not so much. Choose from the list below, or name them all.

Challenge - Name the nearest location on LSC, where you believe the 'hot spot' is located. (ie. Delphine - Grosse Pte, Firecracker - South Channel)

Tic Tac, Ball & Chain, Beach Ball, Miss Michigan

The Wall, ESPN Hole, Iron Man, The Fingers

3 Trees, Big Brother, The Mansion, Art Van

20ft Hole, Sturgeon Hole, Gracie, 7 Sisters - south

Shark's Fin, 7 Sisters - north, The Sticks, The Stakes

Wine Glass, Black Forest, Melody, Whale Back

Cadillac-qua, Lone Tree, J-Marker, N-Marker

Bauer's Boat Livery, The Spike, Rabbit Ears, Schrams' Boat Livery

Bradley's Marsh, The Gauntlet, Twin Brothers, The Cemetery

Not sure on a lot of these but I do recognize some names. My dad was an old layout hunter back in the day and he always spoke about Butch Schrams place and hunting around 7 sisters which I think is in anchor bay. I assume these are the same places....

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Crawdad - correct on the Stakes. The 240 hole you mentioned may have been called the Sturgeon Hole.

..but Kayceedee is more in line with the name/location I was referring to. Just east of Peache Island.

The 240 Hole is more than likely, the "20ft hole" I noted. 240 out of MB takes you to the West side of the 20' hole. (thinking these are one in the same)

Yes - "7 Sisters North" is in Anchor Bay, and Butch "Schrams Livery" was/is at the end of Anchor Bay Drive. ( not surprising a Duck hunter would get these two)

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE(Contender @ Sep 29 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK....

Tic Tac, Ball & Chain(C-Marker South), Beach Ball, Miss Michigan

The Wall(St. Lukes), ESPN Hole, Iron Man(Thames Lt.), The Fingers(WNW of Iron Man)

3 Trees, Big Brother(St Clair Light), The Mansion(Pikes Creek), Art Van(Btw GPYC & 9 mile)

20ft Hole(Out West from St Lukes), Sturgeon Hole(Peech Island), Gracie(Btw Thames & Stoney Pt,) 7 Sisters - south(St Jeans)

Shark's Fin, 7 Sisters - north, The Sticks(St Lukes), The Stakes(Indians)

Wine Glass(Maidstrom), Black Forest(Btw Thames & Stoney), Melody, Whale Back

Cadillac-qua, Lone Tree, J-Marker(Btw Barn & Puce), N-Marker(Bell River)

Bauer's Boat Livery, The Spike, Rabbit Ears (deeper off Puce), Schrams' Boat Livery

Bradley's Marsh, The Gauntlet, Twin Brothers, The Cemetery(12 mile rd)

My guesses are above in Italic
Moose

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Moose is a house of fire!!! For sure, someone on this boat is from 'old school'

Think all but one, line up with what I know them as. Moose you fish with Greeneyes??

Big Brother - the new permanent Red marker, SW of the Firecracker (this kinda was a trick one. An 'old school' name for a new marker : ) )

·
Registered
360 Posts
Moose posted my answers..

It is funny how the names have morphed..

I still call Trombley the Black Forest..

Anyone recall the old "F" marker?

I recall back in the day fishing the area where the weather buoy is now.

Jim Bratton and Billy Martens caught fish there year after year.

Also I know a certain poster (the originator of this thread) who's mentor,use to fish the hell out of the "J" marker ( The Rabbit Ears) Nothing like a Saturday Morning in July and watching Suzy Q catch a Hog out of that area. Even on the 28 Coastal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE(Contender @ Sep 29 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Moose is a house of fire!!! For sure, someone on this boat is from 'old school'

Think all but one, line up with what I know them as. Moose you fish with Greeneyes??

Big Brother - the new permanent Red marker, SW of the Firecracker (this kinda was a trick one. An 'old school' name for a new marker : ) )

Let's burn it down! I remembered more MY spots after reviewing the list again.

How could I forget the orange beach ball off New Baltimore? That sure was a long time ago.

Miss Michigan was Matt M's dates after all those long 15 hour days fishing with Jerry F. (lol, just kidding Matt) .

The Sharks Fin is NNE of the Sturgeon Hole

The only Lone Tree I can think of was years ago in the middle of the Bay when there was a huge entire massive mature tree, leaves and all drifting around for a few weeks. Talk about structure, man did I catch the fish around that thing. Do you recall it?

The Gauntlet in my "Old School" book would be trolling a full spread in front of the Clinton on a beautiful Sunday afternoon about 4pm. But we all know nowadays it is actually the main party at the Moot!

Moose - aka, Greeneyes from "Old School" Days

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE(pikescale @ Sep 29 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Moose posted my answers..

Also I know a certain poster (the originator of this thread) who's mentor,use to fish the hell out of the "J" marker ( The Rabbit Ears) Nothing like a Saturday Morning in July and watching Suzy Q catch a Hog out of that area. Even on the 28 Coastal.

Pike,
What is a Trombley? It will always be the Black Forest to me to.
I remember the F Marker. Not exactly sure where it was. Was is west and a little south of the J? Maybe the other side of the base of the ears?
The weather buoy is cool to check out conditions online but when they planted that thing it gave people a reference point to an area to fish. Very very few people fished that area until then. In fact I always thought it was MY SPOT. But since you mentioned Billy and Jim and they have senority on me they can have it.
Moose

·
Registered
360 Posts
QUOTE(moose @ Sep 29 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(pikescale @ Sep 29 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Moose posted my answers..

Pike,
What is a Trombley? It will always be the Black Forest to me to.
I remember the F Marker. Not exactly sure where it was. Was is west and a little south of the J? Maybe the other side of the base of the ears?
The weather buoy is cool to check out conditions online but when they planted that thing it gave people a reference point to an area to fish. Very very few people fished that area until then. In fact I always thought it was MY SPOT. But since you mentioned Billy and Jim and they have senority on me they can have it.
Moose

From what I recall it was the three of yours spot.

It always perplexed me that Bratton would say he was fishing the "St.Clair Light". He may have been off the the light.LOL.

I use to hear him say he was off the 9 mile tower as well.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Black Forest and the Wall were the place to be for August and September. Back before you had all the weeds..

I never remember having to work the rods as much as now.

There is that little drop off over off the hole that on 9/29/ 1980(I was 9) that my Father and his best friend fished a landed 35 fish from 4 pm until dark.. Willis Bradley (The Prospector) was in there all day.. I have no clue how many he boated that day.. In my 34 years on the Lake I have never seen action like that... I was happy it was my Dad's Birthday..

Remember when you could fish the Spillway all year? The weeds weren't out of control then.

Had some great days there.. 9 for 12, 11 for 11.. The fish may be bigger now but the fishing was better then.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Sure, just pile it on Moose....almost 100% again.

Lone Tree - my recall, is bewteen Ruscom and Stoney. A tall skinny tree on shore, it stood up about dbl in height, compare to any tree over there. We used to line it up with different range targets (the Silos, Ruscom Tower, the 'slot'), for different trolling patterns.

Miss Michigan, yes to MM..but was thinking the the contour line, in the Gauntlet of "old school" you described. New school gauntlet, has many volunteers to be Miss Michigan nowadays, though.

U still catching them on "woody" baits & "jam" baits out in the three of yours spot?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(pikescale @ Sep 29 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also I know a certain poster (the originator of this thread) who's mentor,use to fish the hell out of the "J" marker ( The Rabbit Ears) Nothing like a Saturday Morning in July and watching Suzy Q catch a Hog out of that area. Even on the 28 Coastal.

I used to have to stand on the cooler top, to be able to check the scale, back in the late 70's and early 80's, on the ol' 24 Lyman - "Q"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts