Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
The muskie bug has spread on LSC and where I never saw another boat casting has changed in recent years. With that comes the need to know what you are getting into and the tools you need for safe (for you and the fish) releases. Here's a link to a tips page complete with video.

http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/tips.php

I know this doesn't address big boats and the use of revival tanks. Hopefully I can hook up with Contender this summer and we'll one done for that too!

There will be another video coming soon talking about proper tackle (line, rods, leaders, etc.)

·
Vendor
539 Posts
Very nice! Another great resource. I'll add this as a link to my site as soon as I get a chance. The best tool around for an even better fishery is EDUCATION - pass it on.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(muskie_caster @ Jul 8 2009, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice! Another great resource. I'll add this as a link to my site as soon as I get a chance. The best tool around for an even better fishery is EDUCATION - pass it on.

Thanks Steve, that would be great. The more people that can watch that video the better off the fishery will be!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Will, what do you recommend for removing hooks? I'm still old school and using long needle nose pliers. They work pretty well but was wondering if there is something better out there?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
John

I am still old school...and also use long needle nose pliers. Also, very good to have a pair of Knipex bolt cutters handy.

Hooks are $0.10 - $0.15 each... sometimes better/faster to cut and remove the pieces.

After fishing with Will....I can say he uses other tools to remove hooks...and his knuckles are proof of that. Still think you are nuts Will...

We can work on a live tank/big boat addition to this thread later. I do not have any video of it currently, the closest we have is to check out www.lscmomc.com , under multimedia tab, you can see the tank in use, on an outing with Michigan Out of Doors...in 2005/6.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes Scott, I have the Knipex as well. I used to keep bolt cutters onboard till I bought the Knipex. I was amazed at the way they cut through big stainless hooks like butter. I bought a 2nd pair for my toolbox. Just an outstanding tool. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Correction to my post:

BIG Stainless hooks are $1 - $1.50 each..

Nickle and Bronze are the $0.10 to $0.15 each.

Yes - KNIPEX have been a great addition to the tackle box.

·
Registered
259 Posts
QUOTE(Gone Fishing @ Jul 9 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will, what do you recommend for removing hooks? I'm still old school and using long needle nose pliers. They work pretty well but was wondering if there is something better out there?

The tools you see in the video are what I use, long pliers and I have at least two pairs in the boat (for some reason they don't float). I have one pair of Knipex and a couple pairs of cheap compund cutters in case I drop the Knipex in the water.

After talking to Doug Johnson I'm going to be getting one of the tools pictured below.

Contender - Fingers work as hook out tools as well but I wouldn't suggest it. (do as I say and not as I do) I went for more than ten years without a net before Beckman made the Finsaver and I hand landed everything up to mid 40# fish. Bleeding and scars are just part of the muskie game.

Now that I have those sweet Musky Armor gloves I'm not going to have bleeding knuckles all summer.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I also own a few pair of the hook removers, as pictured in Will's last post, too.

I have only found a few brands that are any good, and durable. Rapala seems to make a nice one, which is pretty tough and inexpensive.

Also, not sure of the brand name, but looked like the one shown above, but was 18" long, out of 3/4" stainless tube and components.

It was over $100 and worked great. (ordered it from Melton International) .......well, worked great for about 10 fish, and then it found a new home on the bottom, with your Knipex. Too cheap to replace it. : )

·
Vendor
539 Posts
I have a mesh bag mounted in the boat and its full of tools. I see it as you cant have to many kinds of tools. I always had a long needle nose pliers and hook remover like Will showed. Heck even two of them can be handy. Theres been a number of times Ive had one customer holding the bogagrip, another holding the hook with needle nose and me holding the 2nd set of hooks with a hook remover. And if there was a 4th person in the boat who knows what they would of been doing. All just to get the fish back in the water ASAP. Even had once where a super shad was bent sideways in a muskies mouth and filled up all the space. I had to CAREFULLY slide the nipex hook cutters through the back of the gills, cut a few hooks, and then get the lure out the front. Its amazing the situations that arise when trying to use tools with musky. Most people spend more on gas in one day then you would for a GOOD set of tools.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Great video!! Education is the best tool u could ever use

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Thought I'd pin this as there's been several "new to muskie casting" threads in the past few days, so it stands to reason there's just as many or more folks that are new to muskies. Figure I'll leave it up for the summer and maybe it'll help save some fish to have people know how to properly handle fish.

Good thread Will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE(Will Schultz @ Jul 7 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The muskie bug has spread on LSC and where I never saw another boat casting has changed in recent years. With that comes the need to know what you are getting into and the tools you need for safe (for you and the fish) releases. Here's a link to a tips page complete with video.

http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/tips.php

I know this doesn't address big boats and the use of revival tanks. Hopefully I can hook up with Contender this summer and we'll one done for that too!

There will be another video coming soon talking about proper tackle (line, rods, leaders, etc.)

Great video, I would be interested in the video about tackle. I would like to see tips on catch and release off of walls, as I often fish off walls, often 6-8 feet over the water, as I have a few regular spots I have been successful

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(pcazman @ Aug 3 2009, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great video, I would be interested in the video about tackle. I would like to see tips on catch and release off of walls, as I often fish off walls, often 6-8 feet over the water, as I have a few regular spots I have been successful

The tackle video will be coming soon.

The walls pose some unique problems but I think they can be solved with a long handled net. The terminal tackle isn't going to be any different as I'm sure you are aware already.
- muskie appropriate rod/reel
- 80-100# superline
- 105-175# single strand wire leader or 130-150# flouro leader

The netting and release is where you'll have to do things differently than a boat. I'm guessing you don't have access in these spots to anything at water level. Unless you can carry and fill some sort of livewell to the water you'll have to do your unhooking w/ the fish out of the water. While this isn't the best option if you have all the tools ready before you remove the fish from the water you can accomplish this quickly and have the fish back in the water in less than a minute, even if you take a photo(s). After unhooking I would lower the fish back into the water using the net then let the fish recover in the net over the wall. By lowering the net you can just let the fish swim out when it is ready to go.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Forget the knipex get a pair of Kleins. Save $20 + made in the USA. I use them everyday at work and cut through screws, nails, studs, rebar anything and they are still as sharp as the day I bought them. Be sure to get the harder "2000 series" and the journeyman series have nice grips. If you can't find them at home depot the closest electrical supply will have them $25-$33

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(BobFequal @ Aug 26 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Forget the knipex get a pair of Kleins. Save $20 + made in the USA. I use them everyday at work and cut through screws, nails, studs, rebar anything and they are still as sharp as the day I bought them. Be sure to get the harder "2000 series" and the journeyman series have nice grips. If you can't find them at home depot the closest electrical supply will have them $25-$33

I can't seem to find a Klein mini bolt cutter in their catalog. I've been able to find them that are longer 18"+ but that's it. What is the model number of the ones you have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts