Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The south shore has been very good to me for the last two weeks in a row. In ten total hours of trolling we have landed 10 nice muskies and lost one HUGE FISH at boatside.
All fish were caught in 10 - 12 ft of water trolling at
4.2 mph (30 ft/2oz) wileys,masons,terminators have
caught the fish with the biggest (50-1/4" muskie) hitting a home made lure (12" perch imitation)
5 fish were 44"+ & over 20 lbs. we also caught 4 big
smallies (3 to 4 1/2 lbs) and two nice 4lb. walleyes
on the wiley & mason while trolling 4.2 mph (crazy fish!)

my new rapala 60#gripper/scale has stood up to the test so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great fish. Good to hear you are hitting them hard. You may want try to support the weight of the bigger fish with your other hand and not just hold them from the gripper, I've heard they damage the jaws of the larger fish if all their weight is on the grip.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did quite a bit of research on the various muskie sights before I started using the Boga Grip which is similar to the Rapala. The head of the Boga actually swivels to further prevent causing damage to the fish. I do believe this type of tool can be harmful to the fish if it is not supported with your other hand. I regret to admit that I actually think I broke the jaw on a 42" muskie when I first started using it. The problem is that in order to get the weight, you need to let the fish hang. I think this type of scale is trouble... Too many people will make the same mistake I did. It might be OK to do that with some species of fish, or possibly smaller muskie??? But in my opinion larger fish (over 40") should absolutely be supported and not hung from the tool.

After netting the fish, I leave the net/fish in the water. I then use the Boga to get control of the fish to safely remove the hooks. Then I get the rod, lure and everything else out of the way, reach in an carefully get a hold of the fish under the gill plate. Then I lift the fish out of the net supporting the belly with my other hand. Then get a quick pic and back she goes.

p.s. Nice Fish!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read an article, think it was on fishingontario.com, (article specifically discussed big pike but I think the progeny applies to muskies as well), that states holding these big fish vertical can be harmful in and of itself because the increased gravity coupled with the fact that they spend virtually 99.9% of their life horizontal, causes their organs to displace. anyone else read or heard about this? I have not read anything else or heard anymore about the subject but the thougth that I may be killing these huge genetically superior fish makes me sick so I have resorted to landing and photoing the fish in the water. however, makes for difficult estimates of length and weight. what are your thoughts?

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Unless it is a relly big Muskie the best thing to do is leave it in the water. You don't need to put it in the net. I agree that holding them by the Gills could be harmful but if it is not for a long period of time I'm sure they will survive. it is hard to get a big Muskie out of the net without lifting it by the Gill Plate. We have caught the same fish many times in the same year. I try to get them back in the water as fast as possible. Do work them back and forth as this seems to help them recover. I hate to see a fish torpedoed back into the water as this is not the proper way to treat a fish in my opinion.
Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you saying not to weigh these fish unless you plan to keep them??

I know that it is not popular but I am having that fish mounted! (it is the only muskie that I have ever kept)
and I have released about 30 fish this year that all looked healthy (even the ones that I weighed)

I guess you could rig somthing up like a scale with a cradle?? (try that alone!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts