Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one of my favorite muskie qoutes comes from a good friend of mine Mr. John Gillespie from John Gillespies waters and woods..."

You never know when Mrs. Muskie is gonna make your day"..
.it's so so true and most of the time she decides to give you your shot when you let your guard down and are just going through the motions. It happens to all of us especially after casting for hrs with no action or follows lol. NEVER let your guard down and ALWAYS pay attention. Always have a firm grip on your rod cuz these fish WILL take your rod and store it in their "rod collection weed bed". These days I find myself looking away most of the time and going by feel rather than by site. Sometimes you WANT to see how a fish hit your bait but sometimes its better not to see it imo. 2 times now Iv been startled so bad by the size and strike of a monster that I froze. So always be ready and always visualize a muskie behind your bait every retreive. Now there ARE ecceptions..TOP WATER. Gotta keep your eye on that at all times. Hooking percentage is low enough to have you picking your nose or checking out hotties. Wait for the REAL hottie to roll on your bait. She rolls left set right.. She rolls right..set left. And if your are looking away setting streight up is a safe option. If she goes ballistic on the strike most of the time.........your screwed lollollol

P.S. Talking and jokes is a HUGE culprit. Although we want to have fun and cary conversation on the water while fishing just remember what you have in front of you
. Don't miss your chance cuz you won't get many

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Amen to that Kid. I have lost 3 rods and reels over the years because I was relaxed and did not pay attention to my lure.

Here is one of the times and it is why I say there are no Rules to Muskie Fishing and Muskie. I was in a Tournament in Minnisota on Wabado - Little Boy Lakes. I was fishing Wabado and during the morning I had had 6 follows from some nice fish. Every fish came up next to the boat and sunk a couple of feet and swam under the boat and away. It was Noon and I had a 14 year old as my partner for the Tourny. I get this follow from the biggest fish of the day at least a 50 inch fish and here she comes just like the other 6. I ran the bait up to the rod tip and started to go into a circle and just relaxed as I knew she would swim away and I let go of the reel handle and as I swung the rod out in to the start of the circle she nailed that bait at a blinding speed and my hand on the rod handle hit the side of the boat and there went my rod. My partner jumped right in after it but she was to fast for him to catch the handle. They were no fish turned into the tournament so I lost a rod and reel and the tournament money. The Moral to this story is always always pay attention while Muskie casting.

Good Fishing. Bob

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(schram @ Jun 21 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well one of my favorite muskie qoutes comes from a good friend of mine Mr. John Gillespie from John Gillespies waters and woods..."

You never know when Mrs. Muskie is gonna make your day"..
.it's so so true and most of the time she decides to give you your shot when you let your guard down and are just going through the motions. It happens to all of us especially after casting for hrs with no action or follows lol. NEVER let your guard down and ALWAYS pay attention. Always have a firm grip on your rod cuz these fish WILL take your rod and store it in their "rod collection weed bed". These days I find myself looking away most of the time and going by feel rather than by site. Sometimes you WANT to see how a fish hit your bait but sometimes its better not to see it imo. 2 times now Iv been startled so bad by the size and strike of a monster that I froze. So always be ready and always visualize a muskie behind your bait every retreive. Now there ARE ecceptions..TOP WATER. Gotta keep your eye on that at all times. Hooking percentage is low enough to have you picking your nose or checking out hotties. Wait for the REAL hottie to roll on your bait. She rolls left set right.. She rolls right..set left. And if your are looking away setting streight up is a safe option. If she goes ballistic on the strike most of the time.........your screwed lollollol

P.S. Talking and jokes is a HUGE culprit. Although we want to have fun and cary conversation on the water while fishing just remember what you have in front of you
. Don't miss your chance cuz you won't get many

made that mistake once. Looked away for 3 seconds and my pole jumped over the guardrail and into the water.....its haunted me ever since.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the other day, i was out in front of selfridge with my buddy shane and mike, i hook my friend shane up with one of my spinning rods with a tube and 8 pound test so he can go for some smallies and have some fun cause hes fairly new to the sport and he ends up catching the fish of 10,000 casts with in about 10 minites of the trip, he sets the hook yells out fish on and i look at the rod and its just bent over like crazy, i thought it was a huge smallmouth untill i heard the drag scream for about 10 seconds straigt, i quickly loosened his drag and the fight was on, the muskie got near the boat and he was like a kid in a candy store then it went for a second run, jumping out of the water i thought for sure this fish was a long gone. not five minites later its in the boat it ends up being like a 41 inch muskie, about 20lbs. because of the bass tackle this fish was nearly dead when it got to the boat because of the long fight. we unhooked it took a snap shot and released it succsessfully, took quite a while though, then he goes on to catch another 40 incher and then a 5lb smallmouth, all while im fishing next to him giving it my all with an ambasseduer reel and 65lb braid with an 80lb mono leader and cant get one. had 2 follows from 40 inchers but couldn't get them to bite. never gave up though. i was glad to see him catch some nice fish, ill get the pictures later

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
So true!

My tied for last year's best smallie hit a rod that I had set down, just drifting along with a Rebel Crawfish on the business end, while I was farting around with another rod. Almost took the rod right into the water.

Pic of the fish was my best/worst abuse of photo perspective and lighting trickery ever.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts