Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
With all the discussions with the "proper" this and that about Muskie fishing. I was wondering what everyone thought (anonymously if you want) about this subject. What do you feel is healthier for the fish? Trolling for Muskie or casting for Muskie? I myself would be casting, I feel there is way less fight time with the fish. Which would result it a less stressed fish come time to release it back into the drink. There is a 0% "dragging" rate while casting, which I feel is a HUGE factor in the health of a big fish. In somecases, a dead small one that may not be noticed. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST TROLLERS SO LETS GET THAT STRAIGHT FROM THE GET GO PLEASE!lol. I like to troll once in awhile and have huge respect for the guys/girls. There just seems to be some very strong opinionated voices that get heard on this site (which is totaly cool in my eyes) and I would like to see/hear from some of the people who just keep a tight lip, like myself. Thanks to anyone who share there thoughts.-Rick

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Oct 14 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't have anything against anybody that fishes, for any species.
I would think that casting would put less stress on the fish, especially the jaw, but that's just one opinion.

By no meens, me neither!

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
With all of the posts here, even the "heated" ones it seems that all of us care for the fish. I have heard of some that don't but by far the majority here do everything they can and know how to see that the fish is released in the best condition possible.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i have done both and casting is the way to go hands down for this voter. when i went trolling it seemed like you could play cards and drink, which im not againts at all, just not while im on the water. just a personal expereince

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
ive done neither, but based off reports, trolling produce more fish, maybe cuz you can toss your bait out and go for a slow ride around the lake. verse casting you'd have to know where to go.

i personally think that neither method is TO stressful for the fish, i 100% agree that the drag rate is up while trolling but i dont think it would help nor hurt the fish. as long as your not dragging it behind the boat for 2 miles, it should be ok.

i think some have gone pretty extreme about groping their fish, "you gotta hold it this way," "you need a different net", "you shouldn't take it out of the water" no matter what.... you wont win, lol

once again, ive done none of the above, and its just an opinion.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
I have a serious question. When I release a fish I hold it up right by the tail until it kicks free and swims away but sometimes it kicks free prematurally and turns belly up again 15 -20 ft from the boat so I take my trolling motor and retrieve the fish and turn the fish upright again until it swims off for good. So my question is this: If a troller releases a fish prematurally at 4mph and it goes belly up again do you pull your boards and everything in and try to retreive and revive the fish again? does all trollers have live boxs on their boats? Is it possible that a fish could go belly up and you not see it? Again this is a legitimate question(s) I'm not trying to make anyone mad.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I would say casting because of the release aspect. But with that said if you have a box then I dont think either is too bad, unless you drag a fish for a long ways. Either way the fish is getting a hook stuck in it's jaw from a hard jerk and fighting the whole way.
As has been proven time and time again you loose fish either way even if you try to do everything you can to revive them.

·
3,236 Posts
It is a fish that is flourishing in our water system. Both methods catch and release plenty of healthy fish to carry on the population. If they did not then we would not have the world class fishery that we currently have. Our lakes are ever changing. The zebra mussel goby etc. have changed the ecosystem permanently and they are not the last to invade so enjoy the fishery the way it is why we have it sooner or later inevitably it will change. This is a tough question to answer considering all of the varibales....water temp, length of fight, equipment caught on, time of day, depth of water, where the hook buried etc...

·
Registered
333 Posts
QUOTE(pikescale @ Oct 14 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trolling.

You get the fish in the boat faster.. You don't wear the fish out. Most trollers have tanks that get oxygenated water flowing faster..

Just my humble opinion.

I'm not sure that's entirely true... A lot of times, guys have line out 100'. Now you've got 100' of line to take in AGAINST the force of the boat which is still going 4 mph. I've never fought a fish for more than 30 seconds. Even if it did hit on the end of a cast.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Actually, the best thing for the muskies is what we are doing now; playing on the internet and not fishing.

I personally think trolling is harder on the fish and I happen to be a troller.

You do have to know where you are going though or you will just waste gas and burn a bigger hole in the OZONE.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I almost always cast for muskies and that makes them safer because I do not catch them.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(sirfishalot @ Oct 14 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a serious question. When I release a fish I hold it up right by the tail until it kicks free and swims away but sometimes it kicks free prematurally and turns belly up again 15 -20 ft from the boat so I take my trolling motor and retrieve the fish and turn the fish upright again until it swims off for good. So my question is this: If a troller releases a fish prematurally at 4mph and it goes belly up again do you pull your boards and everything in and try to retreive and revive the fish again? does all trollers have live boxs on their boats? Is it possible that a fish could go belly up and you not see it? Again this is a legitimate question(s) I'm not trying to make anyone mad.

I've had the same thing happen to me this year when I released a musky. It swam off slowly but went belly up 20' from the boat so I chased her down & I used my trolling motor on the lowest setting & she left kicking & screaming. I also revive the fish on the shady side of the boat (I don't know if it helps any but it can't hurt).

I know of some trollers that have had to pull their lines to go back & revive a fish. MuskyHunterJoe posted some pics before of him swimming with a ski to revive it. He held it down in the deeper cooler water until the fish could swim off on its own. There was an episode of Michigan Out-of-Doors where they did the same thing.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Oct 15 2009, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sirfishalot @ Oct 14 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a serious question. When I release a fish I hold it up right by the tail until it kicks free and swims away but sometimes it kicks free prematurally and turns belly up again 15 -20 ft from the boat so I take my trolling motor and retrieve the fish and turn the fish upright again until it swims off for good. So my question is this: If a troller releases a fish prematurally at 4mph and it goes belly up again do you pull your boards and everything in and try to retreive and revive the fish again? does all trollers have live boxs on their boats? Is it possible that a fish could go belly up and you not see it? Again this is a legitimate question(s) I'm not trying to make anyone mad.

I've had the same thing happen to me this year when I released a musky. It swam off slowly but went belly up 20' from the boat so I chased her down & I used my trolling motor on the lowest setting & she left kicking & screaming. I also revive the fish on the shady side of the boat (I don't know if it helps any but it can't hurt).

I know of some trollers that have had to pull their lines to go back & revive a fish. MuskyHunterJoe posted some pics before of him swimming with a ski to revive it. He held it down in the deeper cooler water until the fish could swim off on its own. There was an episode of Michigan Out-of-Doors where they did the same thing.

Now that was a cool thing to do muskyhunterjoe most people would not go that far.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Makes no difference... whether you are trolling or casting.

Both are equally detrimental to fish.

The real factor is your equipment. If you have the proper gear, for each sport, respective, that is what matters. Not playing the fish too long, time out of water, and proper hook removal tools, are what save fish. Not whether or not you troll or cast.

For example - I drive by you, in my truck at 4mph, and snag you in the face with a 10" Believer, and pull you a bit. That is going to hurt.

Or you cast a 10" Believer, it lands in my face, and you set the hooks, dragging me across the ground. This is going to hurt too!!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
i agree with contender proper equiptment will produce more successful releases then anything else/method of fishing. even with a net left in the water if you have to hold its head out of the water to remove hooks its not breathing. undersized fish i think take the worse toll from the big trebles like the pic i posted of a missing lip and teeth.most trollers do have livewells i wont say all(usually people new to the sport dont drop the 300 to buy a well). the trollers tourney fishing do they dont run fish in a cooler and alot of boats that just fish have them also. i know 3 people have made/bought one. after seeing how well livewells actually work, i keep a shower rod in my tank so you dont hold the fish to keep it upright, i also wait around 10 minutes of the fish holding upright before i toss it over to be sure it doesnt belly up. if it holds upright for 10 minutes without the rod ive never had one belly up after release.who knows 3 days later but noone does.i vote rookie anglers are the worse for the fish caster or troller, most likely to be ill equipped and not use to handling them,resulting in overhandling of the fish.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.