Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my brother and his 15 year old 'nephew-in-law'out of the cutoff launch, 15 FOW, caught a 51 inch 27lb muskie at 7am this morning, Tuesday, June 29th.
I had just deweeded the four line, sat down to rest a moment and a release popped off the starboard board.
I grabbed the rod, and it decided to go away, and stripped off close to a hundred yards of 30 lb. fireline!
That mutha surfaced out there, and I could see it was a good size!
I called for the Austin (nephew-inlaw) to come and take the rod.
He gladly accepted, and he did it like he had done it many times, but has never, ever, caught and brought in a fish like this before!
He finally wore down the fish and brought him alongside the boat and right into the cradle!!! It was pefect!

Anyway. it took him 20 minutes to bring it in, & 20 minutes for me to get the hooks out of the fish and the cradle.
Caught it on a dual planer board 30 feet from the boat, 20 feet back from the board.
Used a locally made jointed muskie lure I had purchased from lakeside last year. very dark green (almost black) with a couple light spots on it. I do not know who makes this lure, no name on it, but it has a plexiglass lip on it.
Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures.
Fished until 9:30, and decided it was just getting to rough to maintain direction with my 17.5 foot Tracker, so we packed it in for the day.
That was the first Muskie I have ever boated!
I have only fished for muskie a couple times before, I had all the right stuff, but it was the wrong time of year, and was in the wrong area to fish for them.
I would like to thank those of you on this LSCN site for all the great posts and information.
I know three people that will be talking about this trip for some time to come!

What a great day!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Fantastic story, good going, WoW what a BoB fish.. It's a experience that will not be forgot. That's the biggest i've heard of so far this year.

h2o<--says your champs

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pencilplugger,
The cutoff launch is the dnr launch located at the Clinton river cutoff.
From 94, to Metro parkway east to Crocker, turn right, take to Jefferson, turn right again, and the launch is right on your left side.
It is the launch just down (west I guess, but I was going to say south) from metro beach.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey H2o,
You've been exposed to some Red X, haven't you?

Me too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts