Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
The optimal time for musky is whenever I can get out & fish for them.
I've noticed more activity right before a storm comes through. I was out this past Friday evening/night & just before the dark clouds rolled in we had a LOT of musky activity. They were so active that an upper 40's came up to my boat to take a swipe at my buddy's bucktail that was just hanging over the side of the boat. My buddy was messing around with my depth finder & he set his rod down & his bucktail was bobbing up & down in the water (on the surface) when the musky came up to take a swipe at it.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Anytime U can get out to fish. U never know when there going to turn on. That being said, they say the best time is just before/after a weather change. When its cloudy and turns to sunny, or sunny and the clouds start to roll in, when winds shift direction and pickups up, just before a cold front, etc.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Just remember that in the lake there will always be active fish AND neutral fish. If you find an area with a bunch of neutral fish, move (which might need to be across the lake), and you might be able to pick up some active fish located in another section of the lake that has a little different conditions at the moment.

Storms are definately a 'window' and a lot of action can ensue prior to the storm hitting. I think a lot of it has to do with the Barometric Pressure dropping? The fish sense this, which makes them feed heavily because they know the water might become too messed up to feed by sight,etc. I don't know a lot about B Pressure, maybe someone could explain it better...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Optimal weather conditions, and perfect conditions would be cloudy overcast, windy days to cast for them. This is according to my pike and musky book, and they sure don't joke with that. While out with propwash the other week, he landed his personal best in windy conditions on a rough seas lake with overcast cloudy skies.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
A bit of clouds and wind are good things, but I had two new guys out in my boat a week ago and it was hot, calm and flat. And litterally as I was telling them that these conditions are tough and that we shouldn't hold our breath, I hooked (and subsquently lost boatside) a 50" fish. And one guy had a high 40 follow later that day when it was even hotter, sunnier and calmer. Went out on Friday in the wind and clouds for 9 hrs and didn't even get a follow from six different places. Get out whenever you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.