Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm gonna start fishing for muskey in the SCR should I use downriggers? what speeds should I troll at, and how deep do I set the cannon balls? Also what baits should I use? crankbaits or Brunner Runners any help would be appriciated

Thanks

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Match what you troll don't mix slower baits with fast ones Troll body baits faster than Buck Tails for best results as far as I am concerned. I did a lot of trolling in the olden days. LOL
I would try having my lures at about 5 to 10 feet down. The water is clear enough for the Muskie that are deeper to come up if thy want the bait. Bob

Brunner Runner's Rule.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jun 19 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Match what you troll don't mix slower baits with fast ones Troll body baits faster than Buck Tails for best results as far as I am concerned. I did a lot of trolling in the olden days. LOL
I would try having my lures at about 5 to 10 feet down. The water is clear enough for the Muskie that are deeper to come up if thy want the bait. Bob

Brunner Runner's Rule.

Thanks Bob, I checked out your website I will be putting my order in soon

·
Vendor
539 Posts
If I were you I would jig the St Clair River instead of troll. You could work the edges/drop offs and cover much more effectivley. And theoretically you would be drifting with the current almost same speed as trolling up or even faster since you wouldnt be going up stream against current. Cover lots fo water and when you start getting into fish keep working that spot. They are there for a reasaon. Id argue that theres jsut as many and as big of musky in the St Clair River as the Detroit but gets no publicity and almost zero fishing pressure. Those that do jig it dont say much for a reason lol. One of the best baits I used for jigging were 8" lindy tiger tubes with some added weight. One angler verticl jigging near bottom, and 2nd angler casting into shore and bouncing it down the drop off as reeling in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(muskie_caster @ Jun 20 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I were you I would jig the St Clair River instead of troll. You could work the edges/drop offs and cover much more effectivley. And theoretically you would be drifting with the current almost same speed as trolling up or even faster since you wouldnt be going up stream against current. Cover lots fo water and when you start getting into fish keep working that spot. They are there for a reasaon. Id argue that theres jsut as many and as big of musky in the St Clair River as the Detroit but gets no publicity and almost zero fishing pressure. Those that do jig it dont say much for a reason lol. One of the best baits I used for jigging were 8" lindy tiger tubes with some added weight. One angler verticl jigging near bottom, and 2nd angler casting into shore and bouncing it down the drop off as reeling in. Thank you very helpful info I'm headed over to pro bait now to get some muskie equipment

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(muskie_caster @ Jun 20 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I were you I would jig the St Clair River instead of troll. You could work the edges/drop offs and cover much more effectivley. And theoretically you would be drifting with the current almost same speed as trolling up or even faster since you wouldnt be going up stream against current. Cover lots fo water and when you start getting into fish keep working that spot. They are there for a reasaon. Id argue that theres jsut as many and as big of musky in the St Clair River as the Detroit but gets no publicity and almost zero fishing pressure. Those that do jig it dont say much for a reason lol. One of the best baits I used for jigging were 8" lindy tiger tubes with some added weight. One angler verticl jigging near bottom, and 2nd angler casting into shore and bouncing it down the drop off as reeling in.

Sssssshhhhhhh!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There are some huge Muskies that enter the SCR usually later in the summer or early fall when the lake warms up and the SCR is cooler due to it's constant moving current and deeper holes. The best way and most common way that Muskies have been seen being caught every year are "chugging" with a Chugging sinker and a small piece of white rubber during the day. Colored rubber does work sometimes but white is most popular and more commonly used. Larger Walleye minnows also work well and usually stay on longer and work better when attached to the bottom of the treble hook with a small hair rubberband. Trolling during the day with smaller sized flatfish tipped with a small piece of crawler against the current is also another way Muskie have been caught in the SCR. Cracked frog has caught quite a few Muskie, but some other colors have also been known to take Muskie.

Both of these methods are also used to target Walleye in the SCR, but do work well on getting those huge later seasobn Muskie to hit. So you might get some bonus walleye while trying for late season Muskie, or vice-versa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts