Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys been a while since I have seen a nice big active muskie charge at my lure. Now we all know a majority of these fish go deeper, but I was just wonder we're you think they journey. Just curious to see what everybody's opinion is. Personally I don't think they run to canada, I can see alot of the anchor bay fish relaxing near the Middle Channel and even heading up the St. Clair River. But Curious lets se what everybody thinks.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
They go were the food is.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Oh Canada........................

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 13 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 13 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh Canada........................

You stole my response!!!!

U2Slo

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bahahaha come why would they go to canada your not supposed to have an open can over there, why would they ever leave the u.s.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't believe they all just go to Canada. They need to have a steady food source. Water temperatures they like. I would say some stick around and some move around. I wish there was a tacking study with tags that can be tracked 24/7 for a year or 2. It would be great data to see what they really do. Until then we are going to have to guess.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
There is A LOT less traffic on the CAN side....take that into consideration, for starters. I would also assume that during the summer months, we get a lot more south winds, keeping the conditions stable a lot more on the South shore then the North shore, which would also keep water temps a tad cooler then the US side?.....just guesses though.

A study would be great.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 13 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is A LOT less traffic on the CAN side....take that into consideration, for starters. I would also assume that during the summer months, we get a lot more south winds, keeping the conditions stable a lot more on the South shore then the North shore, which would also keep water temps a tad cooler then the US side?.....just guesses though.

A study would be great.
I was all for the boat traffic thought as well.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 13 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is A LOT less traffic on the CAN side....take that into consideration, for starters. I would also assume that during the summer months, we get a lot more south winds, keeping the conditions stable a lot more on the South shore then the North shore, which would also keep water temps a tad cooler then the US side?.....just guesses though.

A study would be great.

personally i think predators see boat traffic as easy feeding oppurtunities, baitfish getting blasted/disoriented by propwash and becoming easy meals. ive taken alot of fish between clinton river and huron pointe with weekend boat traffic going crazy. but as far as other points i agree canadian side is deeper water with more rivers dumping into the lake.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(troller11 @ Jul 13 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 13 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is A LOT less traffic on the CAN side....take that into consideration, for starters. I would also assume that during the summer months, we get a lot more south winds, keeping the conditions stable a lot more on the South shore then the North shore, which would also keep water temps a tad cooler then the US side?.....just guesses though.

A study would be great.

personally i think predators see boat traffic as easy feeding oppurtunities, baitfish getting blasted/disoriented by propwash and becoming easy meals. ive taken alot of fish between clinton river and huron pointe with weekend boat traffic going crazy. but as far as other points i agree canadian side is deeper water with more rivers dumping into the lake.

I was talking to my Dentist about a month ago and he was telling me about his best day out Muskie fishing. He said that there was a sailboat race going on, so him and his buddies trolled in and out and all in between them. They landed 20+ fish I beleive. Said the Muskies went nuts feeding on all the baitfish getting stirred up. If its true or not, i dunno? But it sounds very possible and cool.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
That is all 100% true facts right there! There are tons of Musky over on the US side, tons...but I think a more subtle environment with sparatic disturbance would be more suitable for a Musky to be comfortable in their environment and more willing to bite when in a neutral mode...that meaning you would get more active and neutral fish to bite....thats my theory on that. A study would be great, maybe Mike will chime in

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 13 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is all 100% true facts right there! There are tons of Musky over on the US side, tons...but I think a more subtle environment with sparatic disturbance would be more suitable for a Musky to be comfortable in their environment and more willing to bite when in a neutral mode...that meaning you would get more active and neutral fish to bite....thats my theory on that. A study would be great, maybe Mike will chime in

See I believe that but I think the water stays a little to warm on the american side so we dont catch as many like we do on the canadian side in the middle of the summer. I would love to see a tracking study done. Well another thing my grandpa had a charter in erie again today for walleye 4 man limit after hearning that muskies have been caught there he calls me and to my amazment he says he caught a 40in muskie today and 24in pike today in front of toledo marina. I think some of these detroit river muskies are making there way to Erie we may have another great muskie fishery starting.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(bassproat19 @ Jul 13 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 13 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is all 100% true facts right there! There are tons of Musky over on the US side, tons...but I think a more subtle environment with sparatic disturbance would be more suitable for a Musky to be comfortable in their environment and more willing to bite when in a neutral mode...that meaning you would get more active and neutral fish to bite....thats my theory on that. A study would be great, maybe Mike will chime in

See I believe that but I think the water stays a little to warm on the american side so we dont catch as many like we do on the canadian side in the middle of the summer. I would love to see a tracking study done. Well another thing my grandpa had a charter in erie again today for walleye 4 man limit after hearning that muskies have been caught there he calls me and to my amazment he says he caught a 40in muskie today and 24in pike today in front of toledo marina. I think some of these detroit river muskies are making there way to Erie we may have another great muskie fishery starting.

That is also another part of why they might be more Musky on the CAN side. I agree with that theory as well. There is tons of deep water flats from Puce and east towards Mitchells bay. A lot tuck into shore closer then most areas in the entire lake. It's just more suitable for them I believe. But fish are fish, and they DO go everywhere and anywhere they want. Erie is another story, Musky have been there for a loooooong time, but it just doesn't have the right conditions for them to become concentrated better for us to catch consistantly. LSC is small and warmer, which concentrates them better for us. The East side of Erie has a bunch.

·
Registered
92 Posts

A study would be great.

i was just telling my friend the other day how the wind in the summer always seems to be out of the south, i was curious if i was the only one that noticed that to and come to find out, i guess im not the only one. i wonder why its out of the south so much during the summer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts