Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
them bowfins are crazy cool to hook and awsome fighters! Nice fish!
you hook the snake?? I heard they bite Spinnerbaits

·
Registered
95 Posts
The snake looks like a Massasauga (sp?) Michigan's only poisonus snake. I could be wrong though. Cool pictures either way!

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(schram @ Jun 15 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>them bowfins are crazy cool to hook and awsome fighters! Nice fish!

I made one cast. but there was a family fishing by me. I didnt know if they were in season

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(MDH @ Jun 15 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The snake looks like a Massasauga (sp?) Michigan's only poisonus snake. I could be wrong though. Cool pictures either way!

I thought the Michigan rattler was Poisonus?

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jun 15 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(MDH @ Jun 15 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The snake looks like a Massasauga (sp?) Michigan's only poisonus snake. I could be wrong though. Cool pictures either way!

The Massasauga is the Michigan rattler.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
its just a water snake non poisnious. that looks like a small one they get around 3 feet Description: A water snake with dark bands or blotches on a light brown or gray background color. Some old adults may appear solid black or brown. The belly is white with reddish half moon shaped markings; some specimens have an orange belly speckled with brown or black. (The endangered Copper Bellied Water Snake has an unmarked reddish or orange belly.) Adult length: 2 to 4 feet.

Photo © Jim Harding
Habitat and Habits: These snakes inhabit the shorelines of lakes, ponds, or streams. They swim well, seeking food (frogs and fish) and safety in the water, and often bask on objects hanging over the water. Water snakes are not venomous, but will bite if cornered or handled. They are sometimes mistakenly called "water moccasins" (which are not native to Michigan).

Reproduction: Females give birth to their 7 to 9 inch young in late summer. There are 8 to 48 babies in a litter. The young are gray or brown with bold black bands.

Range and Status: Northern water snakes are found throughout the Lower Peninsula and the eastern Upper Peninsula. Needless persecution by humans has eliminated water snakes from many places where they were once common.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Junkster @ Jun 15 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jun 15 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(MDH @ Jun 15 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The snake looks like a Massasauga (sp?) Michigan's only poisonus snake. I could be wrong though. Cool pictures either way!

The Massasauga is the Michigan rattler.

Oh. I didnt know they liked water. maybe one of these days I will take a break from studying musky and read up on them

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jun 15 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(schram @ Jun 15 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>them bowfins are crazy cool to hook and awsome fighters! Nice fish!

I made one cast. but there was a family fishing by me. I didnt know if they were in season

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 15 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm pretty sure that is a Easter Fox Snake.

Nice selection of species you are getting so far Spinner!!! Those are some nice Pike and that is one helluva Bow. Nice work!

Yeah. if I could just catch a darn Musky

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Join the club! I've had a gar, a grinnel and a sheephead follow this year and that's been it. Only been out three times, but that's been it. Now I'm fighting a cold or something, so it maybe a bit before I'm out. I'm flat on my arse right now.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jun 15 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Join the club! I've had a gar, a grinnel and a sheephead follow this year and that's been it. Only been out three times, but that's been it. Now I'm fighting a cold or something, so it maybe a bit before I'm out. I'm flat on my arse right now.

My musky report will follow the season.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts