Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all this musky talk has me wanting to try it what kind of gear and stuff do i need to get started?? thanks...

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 14 2009, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>all this musky talk has me wanting to try it what kind of gear and stuff do i need to get started?? thanks...

Go tp bassproshop get a 8 1/2ft pete maina musky rod paired with a pete mania low profile musky reel spooled with 80lb test stren superbraid and a 12in 80lb test florocarbon leader. get a couple bucktails one with silver blade and one with gold blade with some chartruese hair and red hackle, a couple big jerkbaits with contrasing colors on bottom and side, and some type of musky size topwater baits. Oh and get a musky landing net, heavy duty wire cutters, needle nose pliers, and a fishing partner to help you land a giant and take your picture. Shoot, just ask schram he can tell you all you need to know

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Go to Angles Point or Jimmy's or the BP on 9 and Jeff. and get a couple of my Brunner Runner's you can't go wrong.
Bob

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jun 15 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Go to Angles Point or Jimmy's or the BP on 9 and Jeff. and get a couple of my Brunner Runner's you can't go wrong.
Bob

already got the b.r.s from jimmys last friday thanks for the input..

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Hit up the Gym and do some curls and some bench presses....casting all dey and pulling up giants........be in shape before you realize out there, after your 100th cast, that you are out of shape

I'm just joking though, but not really.... lol I think Sir did cover most of what ya need for starts. A decent musky casting rod 50-80lb braid, 80lb+ Floro leader, and a good net man. Oh, and a good camera too

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 15 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hit up the Gym and do some curls and some bench presses....casting all dey and pulling up giants........be in shape before you realize out there, after your 100th cast, that you are out of shape

I'm just joking though, but not really.... lol I think Sir did cover most of what ya need for starts. A decent musky casting rod 50-80lb braid, 80lb+ Floro leader, and a good net man. Oh, and a good camera too

come to think of it i might take up trolling in stead...
...j.k all i have to do is convence the wife i need to buy some rods and reels and stuff ...

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 15 2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 15 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hit up the Gym and do some curls and some bench presses....casting all dey and pulling up giants........be in shape before you realize out there, after your 100th cast, that you are out of shape

come to think of it i might take up trolling in stead...
...j.k all i have to do is convence the wife i need to buy some rods and reels and stuff ...

Good luck

·
Vendor
539 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Good quality wire or flouro leaders with stingease snaps (other snaps will break). If you are going to use flouro I would suggest flouro leaders no less than 130# for casting. I've heard too many stories about fish getting stuck with lures in their mouth when people use 50-90# flouro leaders for muskies. Casting is much different than trolling and requires different gear, the leader is no exception. Since flouro is nearly invisible is doesn't matter how heavy the leader is. I know lots of guys that use 200# flouro leaders. Personally I have seen no difference in the amount of fish caught in my boat when using a steel or flouro leader.

Stealth Tackle makes the best leaders on the market. http://www.stealthtackle.net/

·
Registered
480 Posts
80lb. test line to catch a twenty lb. fish doesn,t sound like the fish has a chance. Do you use 20lb. to catch 5lb.bass?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Love the sarcasum! Musky have teeth, feel free to go out there with 12 lb, and plan on replenishing your tackel box often. Or get something that can handle the fish, as 80 lb was suggested!

·
Registered
259 Posts
QUOTE(Woodfan @ Jun 18 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>80lb. test line to catch a twenty lb. fish doesn,t sound like the fish has a chance. Do you use 20lb. to catch 5lb.bass?

Can you land one on light line with a light rod? Sure. Will you have some that break off? Probably. Will some of those fish die because the lure is stuck in their mouth? Probably. Does fighting a fish for a long time stress them? Yes. Will this added stress cause increased mortality? Yes.

It isn't the strength of the fish as much as it is the weight and size of the lures. Matching the lures to the rod is important and matching the line to the rod is important so you don't break the line when casting a lure. When choosing a super line you also have to consider diameter, long ago when I switched from 36# dacron to a superbraid the 80# superbraid was the same diameter. This keeps the line from digging into the spool and also makes sure if there is a backlash that you don't break off that brand new $12-50 muskie lure.

Casting an 8oz lure (1/2 pound) on a bass rod would likely find you with a broken rod, reel, line or all of them. I have bass friends that fish 65# when flipping for bass. Fishing equipment should be seen as a tool and just as you could put in a screw with a hammer it works much better and is much stronger when installed with the right tool.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
QUOTE(Woodfan @ Jun 18 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>80lb. test line to catch a twenty lb. fish doesn,t sound like the fish has a chance. Do you use 20lb. to catch 5lb.bass?

These fish can far exceed 20lbs, and their teeth & gill rakers, do not discriminate 20# from 50#, but a larger test, gives you much better odds not to break off.

Second, the larger test line, allows you to land your fish much quicker, and thus, is actually more humane, when compared to playing a big girl out on 10# test for 3 hours, in order to land her.

Last, I do use 20lb braid for bass digging in the rocks. 4-8lb test doesnt hold up well to rocks and zebras, when you run tubes thru the rock beds, or along dock/seawall breaks.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Shop around for a good reel and buy one from a company you trust, like Shimano or Abu Garcia. Don't get something because it's on sale, has someones name on it, or looks pretty.

I think the pole is the more important tool when musky casting. You need a nice long 8 ft rod with plenty of backbone, but also the sensitivity to feel spinners spinning, and lures running. I tried to find a good one at BPS about a month ago and their assortment was aweful. Might need to go to Cabellas or order online.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts