Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
First cast around 8. Junkster had a quick nice follow.. short time later I had a big follow..then we moved around and caught a couple bass and pike. and decided to go over and try for the follows again. we drifted past the way points and i was in the middle of a sentence when wham.. f**k no fish.... was a musky for sure.. next drift same spot as the previous hit or alittle past. wham.. this fish was weird. did head shakes all the way to the boat. like it knew the routine.(do some head shakes and get off). got to the boat did a run. Dale scooped it up.. next drift another big follow... decided to try for #70 again. my bucktail hit the water wham.. looked up pole bent good. then see my Mepps Giant Killer coming out of a large boil..lost it.... I was pissed. next cast back to the same spot. wham!! same thing.. same spot... same fish??.. got it in after a series of runs. kinda crazy you usually dont get a 2nd chance at a Musky.. was one of the most powerful fish I have caught. not the biggest but she had major power for a 43 inch fish.. then we had a break in action and called for a Hungry Howies pizza... back to the lake after that. Dale lost 2 smaller muskies.then we had a couple follows. Dale almost had the one in the 8.. we did another drift. Dale decided to go back to the Cowgirl he had the follow on and first cast. wham fish on. did some runs. landed it.. this is where it got interesting.. I decide to take it off..... Dale says watch the hooks.. fish flaps. I calmly say I am hooked..or something like that. burried it to the bone. now I have grippers with the fish in one hand. and the other hand has a musky attached by hook to hand.. Good thing dale had his cutters.. he cut the hook off and threw the fish back.after a quick pic.. I couldnt feel my finger. had a hook stickin out.. Dale says we need to get to the hospital. I say. what..Ill get it.. Im thinkin are u kidding me.. fish are biting. im not going anywhere.. I would have fished with the hook in if I had to..As I was workin the hook out. I felt it rubbin bone.. not a good feeling. I thought Iwas in trouble.luckily I pulled it back through. Ill post a pic.. those cowgirl hooks are no joke. barbs are huge. that was it for the action,. ended the day with 3 musky. 4 Lm and a pike. .. a good day. fish were scattered between 6-8 feet.salt area.. my 2 came on A Giant killer tandem brown/yellow gold blade,,Junkster custom cowgirl .. A good day. We couldnt get the 4th fish we wanted. but still had a good time. Musky action on and off all day

Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Fisherman
Water Cloud Sky Boat Vertebrate
Water Sky Cloud Muscle Fish

Attachments

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Junkster @ Jul 3 2009, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I said, "you need to go to the hospital." I didn't have a hook in my hand, why would I have to go?

figured you wanrted ur hook back

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What a post! lol Great job guys, lots of action! Still cant get over the hook in the finger! Watch out for the cowgirl hooks, they hand sharpen every one I believe before they package them! Great day though fella's! I cant even imagine if that thing started thrashing around while you were attached to it...

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(RICKJAMES @ Jul 3 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What a post! lol Great job guys, lots of action! Still cant get over the hook in the finger! Watch out for the cowgirl hooks, they hand sharpen every one I believe before they package them! Great day though fella's! I cant even imagine if that thing started thrashing around while you were attached to it...

Dale had some action on a Rick James Lure for the 2nd straight time out with me.. I might need to pick up a couple more myself

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention that it is offiicial my Hat is lucky.. after my 2nd fish I put my hat on Junksters hat to transfer some luck.. next thing you know he boats one.. Now im Doomed.. True story

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I was out there today as well we only boated one small one but we had 3 we lost near the boat and 4 more follows. We had 2 large follows that were high 40s but they seem to be very lazy about it not being very interested. The one scared the crap out of me it came out from under the boat and went air borne right next to the boat. It missed the lure by about 2 inches. It was great to see all of the action. Everything picked up after the sun came out until 5pm. Bucktails were getting all of the action.

Sorry to hear about the hooking that sucks. Great report

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jul 4 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(RICKJAMES @ Jul 3 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What a post! lol Great job guys, lots of action! Still cant get over the hook in the finger! Watch out for the cowgirl hooks, they hand sharpen every one I believe before they package them! Great day though fella's! I cant even imagine if that thing started thrashing around while you were attached to it...

Dale had some action on a Rick James Lure for the 2nd straight time out with me.. I might need to pick up a couple more myself

I hooked a couple of ski's on your reverse-bucktail Rick, but they thru the hook....R U hand sharpening before packaging...lol....it's become a regular in my arsenal.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(AlexG @ Jul 4 2009, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was out there today as well we only boated one small one but we had 3 we lost near the boat and 4 more follows. We had 2 large follows that were high 40s but they seem to be very lazy about it not being very interested. The one scared the crap out of me it came out from under the boat and went air borne right next to the boat. It missed the lure by about 2 inches. It was great to see all of the action. Everything picked up after the sun came out until 5pm. Bucktails were getting all of the action.

Still a good day.. Should be good next week with the Full Moon. those big followers should turn into big biters

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Junkster @ Jul 4 2009, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jul 4 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(RICKJAMES @ Jul 3 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What a post! lol Great job guys, lots of action! Still cant get over the hook in the finger! Watch out for the cowgirl hooks, they hand sharpen every one I believe before they package them! Great day though fella's! I cant even imagine if that thing started thrashing around while you were attached to it...

I hooked a couple of ski's on your reverse-bucktail Rick, but they thru the hook....R U hand sharpening before packaging...lol....it's become a regular in my arsenal.

a very big asenal

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Saw you out there. We didn't get out until a bit later than we wanted to. She had some homework she wanted to fish so we can enjoy the rest of the weekend. Be out Sunday.

Great report and fish boys.

(And that's one of several reasons I fish barbless....)

Tip-barbs were originally put on hooks not to hold the fish, but to hold the bait on. You don't need barbs to hold a fish. Get rid of 'em!! Smashing them makes releases cake as well as getting them out of body parts or clothes.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 4 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Saw you out there. We didn't get out until a bit later than we wanted to. She had some homework she wanted to fish so we can enjoy the rest of the weekend. Be out Sunday.

Great report and fish boys.

(And that's one of several reasons I fish barbless....)

Tip-barbs were originally put on hooks not to hold the fish, but to hold the bait on. You don't need barbs to hold a fish. Get rid of 'em!! Smashing them makes releases cake as well as getting them out of body parts or clothes.

That sounds like a good idea Esox, then I won't have to waste valuble fishing time cutting my trebel hooks that are embeded into Spinnerbaits hand. Plus there will be less blood in the botom of my boat.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I'm serious man, barbless is the way to go. I've fished barbless for over ten years now and I've boated I don't know how many jumping salmon, steelhead, pike and halibut on barbless flies.

Then I saw a show the other day, Mark Sosin's, and he was talking about barbless hooks. He said several times he's had a fish on filming, and the camera guy has to change batteries or whatever, and he'll just let the fish (usually a marlin, sailfish, bonefish or tarpon) just run under light tension until the battery is changed and they can film the rest of the fight. And he does it all on barbless hooks.

They penetrate deeper, tear a smaller hole, release easier and hold just fine as long as you know how to fight a fish.

And they come out of human skin easier too!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Awesome job guys, I took my 12 year old sister out today for 2 hours she caught a smallie and I had 1 follow from a mid 30's just curious what depth are you guys workin?

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(bassproat19 @ Jul 4 2009, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Awesome job guys, I took my 12 year old sister out today for 2 hours she caught a smallie and I had 1 follow from a mid 30's just curious what depth are you guys workin?

6-8 feet.. biggest fish was the shallowest. others were on deeper weed edges

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like a big day. We finally had a warming day, and were a week removed from the cold front when temps went from 90 to 75. Also got that low pressure system away from us over to the East Coast. What was the moon phase?

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(little guy @ Jul 4 2009, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds like a big day. We finally had a warming day, and were a week removed from the cold front when temps went from 90 to 75. Also got that low pressure system away from us over to the East Coast. What was the moon phase?

First quarter seems like the last 2 days they turned on when the sun came out. I figured it would happen this they havnt seen the sun in a few days

1 - 20 of 29 Posts