Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give it a whirl this summer - got the right boat for it and am steadily acquiring equipment. I've been reading as much as I can on the subject, also.

A lot of the stuff I read says to concentrate along weed lines - makes sense. St. Clair is so big though that I can't imagine you can do this very reproducibly - trolling, any way. Is there a general tactic that is used?

Is the best fishing in the early summer right in Anchor Bay? How deep of water are we talking? I read the article on Homer LeBlanc...it sounds like a great technique, but I imagine you'd have to modify it quite a bit based on the time of season.

Thanks for a great forum, guys.

Michigan does indeed...rock.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would have to say that 98% of the musky fishing on StClair is done by trolling. 2% casting. The reason for trolling of course is to cover water. With StClair being so vast it is an efficient way to catch em. Not neccasarily the most fun way though, but does draw lots of action. I also like to cast for those monsters as well and Anchor Bay in June is the place to be. Cast the numerous weed beds that dot the bay and you`ll surely catch fish. Nothing more thrilling that seeing a big un rise and hammer a lure. If action is not plentiful then troll till you find another weed bed to work over. I`m set up for both and have to say I prefer casting for them. As the season progresses the weeds in Anchor Bay make trolling for the most part, impossible. That`s when I start moving farther south off the dumps. Lots of water to fish for sure. Lots of great info on this site as well. If your not familiar with StClair, hiring a guide is worth it`s weight in gold. Muskie Bob is a frequent poster on this site and is a top notch guide with a wealth of knowledge.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
OK Thanks Czar but don't put it on to thick. If MichiganRocks is in the area he should hit the show this weekend at Gibraltar there will be more than one Muskie guide on the floor and there will be several seminars on other fish Perch, Walleye and Bass. He could go back into the forums and find a lot of items on Muskie in Lake St Clair.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Bob Sr. When it comes to a legend like you it can't be to thick. A person would be wise to hire you to guide them to the path of knowledge about MUSKIE fishing.

h2o<---says hire Bob and learn big time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey MichiganRocks, Good to hear that you have decided to tangle with the tooth, (musky) have you found out that its one of the most exspensive fish to go for,,,Good luck bud i hope your dollers produce,,,,, took it up 3 years ago have caught my share off fish and yea there is a price to pay but the pay off of one fish 20 25 Lbs pay's for everything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts