Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was fishing in front of Metro Beach and I had 8 musky follows on my spinnerbaits as well as a musky follow on 2 other occasions when I had a smallie and a rock bass hooked.
I am predominately a Bass and Crappie fisherman and can catch either species in a puddle but these dang muskies had me befuddled today.
My question is what do I need to get them to strike the lure and not just follow it to the boat?
I know that it was not the same fish as I was drifting with a sock and they were spread out through the morning plus one of them was HUGE.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
The best way to try to get a Muskie to hit a bait on a follow is to keep the lure moving right up to the rod tip. Do not stop the lure at any time and start into a circle at the same speed you where binging the lure into the boat. A circlr is much better than a figure eight as the figure eight is to tight for really big Muskie. If the Muskie follows into the circle two times pick up your speed as the lure comes closer to the surface as you reach out when it is the farthest from the boat. If you stop the bait the fish will usually lose interest and swim away. Never leave any line out from the rod tip as you will not have good controll over the bait. Bob

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip; coming from a legendary musky fisherman as yourself means alot.
I will try it out next time I am on the lake this week. I was going to go Bass fishing but these Muskies lit something in me.
I'll let you know how I do and thanks again.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
N P Your Welcome. Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts