Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK... I cant take it anymore I have only been a member of this site for a short time but after seeing some of the pics and hearing the stories of fish that where caught or had gotten away I have to give this musky fishing a try. Let me start by saying I am primarily a Walleye and Perch fisher on LSC. I fish for Browns and Steelhead in the rivers up north where my cottage is. With that being said I have nothing in my arsenal for Musky. From reading the differant ways that some of you have fish for them I would like to give the topwater action a try first. I know what it feels like to have a nice Brown or Steelhead smack my Mepps when I river fish so I can only imagine what it might feel like to have a 40" plus Musky hammer a spinnerbait

OK guys n gales (yes I have seen muskygirls post on here) remember that some of you have been doing this for years and have aquired your tackle over a period of time. With that being said what are the basics for getting started?

What type of rod (brand, length, action), What kind of reel (brand, size) What kind of line and lb. Give me an idea on 1/2 dozen lures (make, size, weight, color)
From some of the teeth that I have seen on those freshwater "Barracudas" I would think you would use some sort of leader yes ..no??
I dont need a top of the line rod and reel but if you can give a middle of the road rod n reel combo to get me started that would be great.

Well you all get the idea. Just keep in mind that I have never done this before so any extra info would be greatly appreciated.

Hunt and fish safe!!

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Prayer is a good beginning

I'm not the best one to give muskie advice, I've been targeting them for a little over a week now, but the two I've caught in the past both hit a Mepps on light spinning gear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Junkster @ Jul 11 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>R U sure! first thing u will need is a credit card and/or checking account.

Just dont tell the wife I am looking at more fishing gear

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well muskie fishing does have some nice highs when you catch one but I have done 12-16hour casting days without even seeing a fish. This has been one of my best years probably because I am putting a ton of time into it. I have been fishing for muskie around 5 years now and I have learned lots of great things from members of LSCN but you need to remember it takes time. If you plan on casting I would get a 7'6"-9' casting rod medium heavy 1-4 oz rated rod. Spinner or bait caster both work well as long as they are good reels IE shimano, okuma, abu garcia. I love my Abu Garcia revo Toro. For line I would use at least 50# with a fluorocarbon leader. I like power pro line it has done a great job for me. Heavier ball bearing swivels and snap swivels are required. A large muskie net is also needed along with long pliers, jaw spreaders. Just to give you an idea my muskie casting rod, reel, line, leader is about $400. It does not have to cost that much but a good rood and reel can be about $150. Tackle is another story all together. There is a reason I make my own buck tails. Be ready to spend 10-15 dollars per lure. As far as lures I would get if I had to choose 6 I would get a 2 buck tails, 2 body baits and 2 top water lures. One lighter color and one darker of each. It is an addiction. I know several people that have 1000s in tackle alone. Then time on the water. I spent over a season trying to figure out what to do before I got one in the boat. This site will be a great help to finding locations muskie are all over the place in this lake. I will say good luck because they are fun to catch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
when I "tried" to catch musky last year I started off with a big spinning rod , it was cheap and made for catfish. It helped me!

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(AlexG @ Jul 11 2009, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well muskie fishing does have some nice highs when you catch one but I have done 12-16hour casting days without even seeing a fish. This has been one of my best years probably because I am putting a ton of time into it. I have been fishing for muskie around 5 years now and I have learned lots of great things from members of LSCN but you need to remember it takes time. If you plan on casting I would get a 7'6"-9' casting rod medium heavy 1-4 oz rated rod. Spinner or bait caster both work well as long as they are good reels IE shimano, okuma, abu garcia. I love my Abu Garcia revo Toro. For line I would use at least 50# with a fluorocarbon leader. I like power pro line it has done a great job for me. Heavier ball bearing swivels and snap swivels are required. A large muskie net is also needed along with long pliers, jaw spreaders. Just to give you an idea my muskie casting rod, reel, line, leader is about $400. It does not have to cost that much but a good rood and reel can be about $150. Tackle is another story all together. There is a reason I make my own buck tails. Be ready to spend 10-15 dollars per lure. As far as lures I would get if I had to choose 6 I would get a 2 buck tails, 2 body baits and 2 top water lures. One lighter color and one darker of each. It is an addiction. I know several people that have 1000s in tackle alone. Then time on the water. I spent over a season trying to figure out what to do before I got one in the boat. This site will be a great help to finding locations muskie are all over the place in this lake. I will say good luck because they are fun to catch.

That paragraph just summed up some of the muskie books I've read!
Absolutely great advice on the lures.

My first rig was a 6 foot heavy action ugly stick ($30) and a abu garcia 6501 ($90) with 50# fireline ($35). It works great but the shorter rod really makes you work harder when tossing big baits & doing figure 8's. I now use a 9' okuma trolling rod with that same reel. Took a minute to figure out that you have to lob the lure instead of sling it out there (picture birds nests big enough for a swan to use!) but now I can cast everything from huge 5oz lures to 3/4 oz spinnerbaits easily and for long distances. Figure 8's are now a breeze.

Baits......hmmmm.
Buckies are pretty easy, mepps, brunner runners, buchers, blue fox they all work good.
For body baits I've had good luck with rapala's but there are plenty out there that work well. I wouldn't get any that run deep right now as the weeds are getting really high and all you'll do is catch weeds all day.
Top water I'd say a glide bait like a magnum zara spook and something with a prop or 2 on it. Keep in mind that you twitch your bodybait on top if it's a floater.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the seasoned musky fisherman out there I hope I have not offended you. I certainly understand that I have to "pay my dues" and in no way was I implying that it was just a madder of purchasing a rod n reel with some lures and the fish would be jumping in the boat. I am just looking for the basics so I can try something new and be able to enjoy LSC even more. Hunt n fish safe

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(sylvan19 @ Jul 11 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK... I cant take it anymore I have only been a member of this site for a short time but after seeing some of the pics and hearing the stories of fish that where caught or had gotten away I have to give this musky fishing a try. Let me start by saying I am primarily a Walleye and Perch fisher on LSC. I fish for Browns and Steelhead in the rivers up north where my cottage is. With that being said I have nothing in my arsenal for Musky. From reading the differant ways that some of you have fish for them I would like to give the topwater action a try first. I know what it feels like to have a nice Brown or Steelhead smack my Mepps when I river fish so I can only imagine what it might feel like to have a 40" plus Musky hammer a spinnerbait

OK guys n gales (yes I have seen muskygirls post on here) remember that some of you have been doing this for years and have aquired your tackle over a period of time. With that being said what are the basics for getting started?

What type of rod (brand, length, action), What kind of reel (brand, size) What kind of line and lb. Give me an idea on 1/2 dozen lures (make, size, weight, color)
From some of the teeth that I have seen on those freshwater "Barracudas" I would think you would use some sort of leader yes ..no??
I dont need a top of the line rod and reel but if you can give a middle of the road rod n reel combo to get me started that would be great.

Well you all get the idea. Just keep in mind that I have never done this before so any extra info would be greatly appreciated.

Hunt and fish safe!!

Let me first say that we are extreemely blessed to have one of if NOT THE BEST muskie waters in the world. Get ready to experience some of the BEST and WORST days on the water you will ever experience. These creatures are the kings and feed strictly on instinct doing and eating whatever they feel like. All you can do is pick a day and CAST YOUR BUTT OFF. Their ARE better days than others accourding to moon phases(gravitational pull) and such but you can not always count on that as weather(pressure) will trump all factors. Keep your eyes open and pay attention as THAT is your best tool when casting. As John Gillespie says "you never know when mrs. Muskie will decide to make your day"...
As far as gear....find something your comfertable with. They have some really nice stuff out there to fit your fishing style. If your a "palmer" their are some really nice low profile reels that are easy on the wrists. But make sure you get the right gear ratio for the right lure. Also spinning gear is an option if your use to using that. As far as line I have seen it all over the board on LSC. Personally I use 80lb super braid because I like to have my drag locked all the way down to get a good hook set. The most popular seems to be 65lb power pro these days though. I have tourney friends that use 35lb mono though and have never lost a fish by line break. SO my best advice is to find something your comfertable with and most importantly CONFIDENT in. Your gonna need that when the bite slows down if you decide to become a "hard core" lol.

Lures..again find something you know will catch fish. If there's only one lure that I could have for the rest of my casting days on LSC it would 100% be a bucktail. Simple and EXTREEMELY effective on this body of water. Muskies will always come up but rarely chase down in the water column. Your basics are lures that cover everything. Crankbait, top, sub-serface, jerk, plastic..

Good luck out there and post pics for us

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Oh yeah and Flourocarbon leader is a must in my world. 100 to 120# is my poison. The ecception is (walk the dog) style top water baits as steel gives you a better "swing"

·
Registered
40 Posts
What do you muskie fisherman recommend as far as rod reels & lures to use for someone who want's to start casting for muskie ? Any advice would be great. I only hhave a 16 foot alum boat with a 8-hp motor so I will be fishing close to shore. Thanks Joe S.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Some good advice here. I would definitely recommend getting a rod at least 8 ft long as a good all-purpose rod. A long rod makes for good casting distance and hook sets, and some "give" (not a "broom handle) will help playing fish and casting lures that aren't so heavy. I've been very pleased with the BPS Pete Maina 8'6" all-purpose rod.

You can get good Penn 309 reels on Ebay for about $35 including shipping all day, and they will certainly do the job (I like the big 309s because the large diameter spool makes for faster cranking capability), but if you're not experienced with baitcasting or have the patience to deal with hours and hours of picking out "bird's nests" while learning, it would be wise to plunk a few more bucks for something better, like an Ambassadeur.

If you plan to ever do any trolling, a line out alarm (clicker) is an absolute must. I can hear the 309's go off over my noisy old motor easily.

Also, keep a few smaller lures (4-5" range) on hand, such as X-Raps or 14cm Husky Jerks, though you'll need to use a lighter outfit (with a musky friendly leader, at least 50# fluoro) to cast those. Sometimes they're the ticket, especially when it's sunny and the water is very clear.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I merged a couple of threads into one here, as there were two "new to muskie casting" threads one of top of the other asking the exact same thing.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 03/10
172 Posts
My first muskies were caught on an ultra light 6.5 foot rod with a Quantum Snapshot spinning reel with 25 lbs spiderline. It was my bass rod that I "converted" to muskie fishing. It worked great and I was able to land a 48 inch muskie. If you are just testing the waters most bass gear will work, but I would upgrade the line, swivels, etc.

As for my setup now, I use saltwater gear. Cabelas 7.5 foot inshore Salt Striker spinning rod ($80)with a Quantum Boca 30 reel ($120). I have 50 lbs power pro with an 80 lbs flouro leader. All ball bearing swivels. This set up has landed me fish over 30 lbs including a 4 foot shark with no problems.

For tackle, I would go with the following... a firetiger jointed rapala, a giant red-eye spoon in gold, a few bucktails with good contrasting colors, a top water bait or two, a soft plastic like a bulldawg, a shallow diving polish perch crank bait, and two suspending medium sized jerk baits (something like large xraps).

A big net is a must as others have said. My first one cost around $40 from Gander. It did the job, although it you weren't careful it would cut up the fishes tail. Now I've got a $150 fin saver from Beckman and the thing is huge.

I know everyone talks about how expensive muskie fishing can be, but don't start out thinking you have to break the bank. Start out with a few basics and then upgrade.... heavier line and a few bigger lures, then maybe a new rod and then a new reel... and so on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
QUOTE(sylvan19 @ Jul 12 2009, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For the seasoned musky fisherman out there I hope I have not offended you. I certainly understand that I have to "pay my dues" and in no way was I implying that it was just a madder of purchasing a rod n reel with some lures and the fish would be jumping in the boat. I am just looking for the basics so I can try something new and be able to enjoy LSC even more. Hunt n fish safe

No offense taken its always good to see more people trying this sport. Best of luck to you out there.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
I just got back into fishing this year because of my 7 year old son, bought a boat and started fishing anchor bay. I had a couple bigger lures for pike and have picked up a couple bucktails. I started with 2 bucktails and just bought 2 more this weekend. I been using an older salmon trolling rod with a spinning reel . Ive been casting primarily the bucktails because there easier to cast (dont weigh 5oz) and more muskie are caught on them in Lake St. Clair then other lures. What I like to do is cast for them for an hour or so, then pickup the bass pole and cast with that for awhile. One, because I dont know of any muskie "hot spots", and I think if your just starting out the chance of U going a day or 2 without any action are a lot better. The last thing U want to do is buy a couple hundred dollars of equipment and lures on friday and get skunked the whole weekend. Go walleye or bass fishing in the morning and on the way in stop and cast for muskie for an hour or 2. Ive been out casting 5 times now and probably have 12-15hours of soild casting in and havent seen one yet. I belive im not fishing in deep enough of water (7-8 feet), but my son is catching alot of fish so he is happy. I am even thinking of trolling a bit to find some fish than get back to casting for them. GOOD LUCK on your fishing.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Jul 12 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just got back into fishing this year because of my 7 year old son, bought a boat and started fishing anchor bay. I had a couple bigger lures for pike and have picked up a couple bucktails. I started with 2 bucktails and just bought 2 more this weekend. I been using an older salmon trolling rod with a spinning reel . Ive been casting primarily the bucktails because there easier to cast (dont weigh 5oz) and more muskie are caught on them in Lake St. Clair then other lures. What I like to do is cast for them for an hour or so, then pickup the bass pole and cast with that for awhile. One, because I dont know of any muskie "hot spots", and I think if your just starting out the chance of U going a day or 2 without any action are a lot better. The last thing U want to do is buy a couple hundred dollars of equipment and lures on friday and get skunked the whole weekend. Go walleye or bass fishing in the morning and on the way in stop and cast for muskie for an hour or 2. Ive been out casting 5 times now and probably have 12-15hours of soild casting in and havent seen one yet. I belive im not fishing in deep enough of water (7-8 feet), but my son is catching alot of fish so he is happy. I am even thinking of trolling a bit to find some fish than get back to casting for them. GOOD LUCK on your fishing.

If your fishing Anchor bay in 7-8 fow your in the "right" spot. I believe I just read this from our good friend EsoxFly "no such thing as a bad cast in St.Clair"(something like that lol). In many ways that statement seems VERY true! Yeah there's "areas" that seem to hold fish more than others, but you have to put your time in and mark these areas when you see action. Things change day to day, IMO, its just where and what you coffidence in from previous experience. The entire bay probably holds fish, you just have to pick them out. Good luck,

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Most of the best reports are coming from deeper water. Like 11-15ft deep. Had great action at 7-8 FOW 3 weeks ago, but after that warm spell they were gone...

Another thing you can do is to check out our local musky fisher's clubs, Lake St. Clair Muskies Inc. and MOMC.

In fact, LSC Muskies Inc. is having a fishing outing in which new members can participate Thursday evening the 16th (see The Fishing Hole for details). Probably be trolling due to logistics, but there are a lot of experienced fishers who are eager to help those who are new to the game.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(RICKJAMES @ Jul 12 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe I just read this from our good friend EsoxFly "no such thing as a bad cast in St.Clair"(something like that lol).

I can't take credit for that one. That was either from Schram or Steve Kunnath, I don't remember. I just agreed and repeated it.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jul 14 2009, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Most of the best reports are coming from deeper water. Like 11-15ft deep. Had great action at 7-8 FOW 3 weeks ago, but after that warm spell they were gone...

Maybe trolling and fish do hang there, but I've been hitting 6-9' and I've had follows or fish every single time out since I've started throwing gear three weeks ago and that's fishing four to five days a week. Had a 50" on boatside and lost her out of 6' of water on Friday. They're still up on the "shelf" and there'll be fish there all year long.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts