Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and Schramboni the great headed to Alter to do some end of season jigging and ran into this:
Water Water resources Road surface Watercourse Asphalt

After a hour of Schram busting ice with my ice spud (Idid think to bring it just in case), 2 busted trailer tail lights, bent livewell intake screen and a bent fender I decided that was enough and we left. Headed down Jefferson and stopped by Blossom Heath, same thing, ice. Continued on down Jefferson and came across a marine supply store stopped in and everything in the store was 20% off (except for electronics and a few other products) and picked up new tail lights for $40.00. Threw those in the back seat hit 94 to metro ending up at Harley launch. There was just enough open water at the ramp to launch the boat but the rest looked like this:
Water Sky Water resources Atmospheric phenomenon Lake

Come to find out Spinnerbait cut the path out to the lake with his boat..thanks Spinner...so we headed out on my last season mission for my first 50:
Water Recreation Lake Leisure Wind wave

Water Sky Fluid Liquid Horizon

We headed to grassy where we encountered even more ice that I had to drive through nearly getting stuck I had to gun the throttle to break the ice with the bow but we made it through when we emerged victorious over the frozen waters of St Clair we found Grassy ...uh Brunner Island... to be completely ice free but the wind was blowing up 2- 3ft swells. We started casting large plastics with no luck then I decided to chunk one of my Bigboy Bucktails that within a half dozen cast enticed my season ending 50in fish to follow it to the boat. I saw him coming and I knew it was a big one it looked bigger than 50 my heart was pounding this it it this is my sesason ender and my first 50 the adrenaline was rushing and then....he turned away, my dream dashed my heart sunk, my will to continue fishing diminished. We fished for a few more hours the headed back behind Spinner bait and now I have to wait for next year to continue my quest.

Attachments

·
Vendor
797 Posts
Damn Tim, you're one tough hombre!(maybe even a bit crazy) That would have been a story book ending if that monster would have just bit. I do miss my Lund boat for its ice breaking capabilities. That Muskie will be 50 plus next year when you land it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey great story and pics. Now that was a hard core effort, with so many
obsticles, its just to bad you didn't end up with that big one.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
You guys are hardcore.

If only I had a bigger boat then I would have been out there as well. Instead I sit at home listening to the wife bitch & the kids fight.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was the first time I have taken the boat through ice and I got to tell ya it was scary as h#!!. It sounded like the ice was ripping my hull to shreds and Schram assured me it sounds worse than it is and he was right. I checked my hull after I pulled the boat out and it did not have a mark on it. I aint scared no more I'll do it again for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Well done Tim. I watched Spinner cut the path, but in my glass boat, I couldn't follow. That ice is sharp, and it'll chip gel coat like nothing. I did manage to get out later that afternoon and cast for a bit as well. Had to stop when I got to the ice!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Guessing you are hopeful, for an Indian Summer...to go walleye fishing???

This thread is about muskie fishing, and season ends today.

Esox - pretty certain I passed you trailering thru New Baltimore, yesterday morning. Towing a glass Ranger (w either teal green or lighter blue accents) behind a charcoal GM pick-up.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Musky season may still be open for a while in the Clinton and Huron Rivers, if my memory serves me well.

Inland lakes (Hudson, Sanford, etc.) are probably all pretty well iced up. Not that the weather looks any good for the foreseeable future.

Good effort, too bad the big one was tight-lipped!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Awesome report SIR ! You had me on the edge of my seat, to bad it wasn't the story book ending we all wanted, but its a hell of a tale, Way to go!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts