Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I primarily cast bucktails. Was wondering what colors would be better on sunny days and what colors are better on cloudy/dark days???? Silver blade/gold blade/colored blade, and color of bucktail, etc. Just bought a bunch more so I have a little selection to choose from. Wednesday was overcast and had all follows and hits on a gold blade and brown bucktail. Tried firetiger and gold blade and white bucktail also that day with no takers.................

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Dude, this is the Million Dollar question here. The bottom line is that there is no for sure answer. Sunny days over clear water alot of guys throw more natural colors like browns, golds and greens. I'll do that. Some guys break out the gaudy stuff on bright days. I'll do that too. In stained water I like golds and oranges with some dark like a brown or black to make the big sillouette. At night black rules, but again with a moon or something a silver or even chartruese blade rocks.

It really comes down to your confidence in the color. With more confidence you'll fish it harder and with a more dedicated tone. Rather than, "well I don't like orange, but the dude on the internet said I should use orange, so here goes...." Use what you have confidence in and fish it hard. And don't be afraid to experiment and catch a fish on a new color at a new time and then you gain confidence in that color combo as well.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Go with the color(s) that you have confidence in. My confidence color is black w/nickel blade.

I just tied up 5 different color combos tonight to try them out tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was always told overcast days stick with dark colors brass/colored blades. sunny days brighter colors.crome/nickle blade for the flash. has worked good for me. Hope this helps. Alot of fish have been caught on brass blade this year reguardless of color and the weather. I dont cast much but i know it works trolling.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Back in the day of The Creel Report I was on one of the Seven Lakes Park Lakes and it was a bright Sunny June day and I was doing all the right things as far as color etc, went but not a fish was to be had. After several hours I decided it was time to go Dark and I did and I believe if I remember right we put about 17 Bass on the tape. A week later we went back on a dark stormy day and it took Silver Rattle Traps to get the fish on the tapes. So go figure... Years ago on opening day of the Muskie season I had two clients from Illinois in for the week end and They were tossing light colored lures as most were and we didn't get into a couple of fish until 1 in the afternoon when I switched them to a Black Hog Wobbler and a Black Ivanhoe Spoon. Go figure again. Like I said in Catching Muskie and the Rules of Muskie Fishing THERE ARE NO RULES> LOL

Good Fishing Bob

·
Sponsor Since 02-09
290 Posts
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Jul 23 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I primarily cast bucktails. Was wondering what colors would be better on sunny days and what colors are better on cloudy/dark days???? Silver blade/gold blade/colored blade, and color of bucktail, etc. Just bought a bunch more so I have a little selection to choose from. Wednesday was overcast and had all follows and hits on a gold blade and brown bucktail. Tried firetiger and gold blade and white bucktail also that day with no takers.................

Stop by the store, I have a chart that recommends bucktail colors based on sun,overcast days,morning afternoon night and also water clarity. There are copies available by the muskie lures..........Jerry

·
Registered
869 Posts
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Jul 23 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I primarily cast bucktails. Was wondering what colors would be better on sunny days and what colors are better on cloudy/dark days???? Silver blade/gold blade/colored blade, and color of bucktail, etc. Just bought a bunch more so I have a little selection to choose from. Wednesday was overcast and had all follows and hits on a gold blade and brown bucktail. Tried firetiger and gold blade and white bucktail also that day with no takers.................

This might help.
Musky Bucktail Colors To Consider

·
Vendor
539 Posts
It never fails, when starting out a day of guiding and digging through the boxes of lures the most asked question - "what color do you think will work best today?" And my answer everytime - " Ill let you know in eight hours."
Ive described musky like people. Each individual fish might key in on something different in same time and place. I did a seminar last year or year before and someone asked that question. I looked around the room and out of 20-30 people there were about 15 or more different beverages I guess. All the same price at same place and most everyone bought something different. They didnt all pick brand X that day at 630pm. I always had 2 of everything on my boat. If someone caught a musky on a lure you damned better have another for his buddy lol. But I can think of only a few fish where the 2nd fish came off the same lure. 98% of it is they are either feeding or they are not,and YOU ARE in right place at right time. Its not like bass fishing. With smallmouth once you find a color pattern thats working everyone switches over. With trolling Ive heard some claim that, but Ive rarely ever seen it with casting.

·
Registered
198 Posts
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Jul 23 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I primarily cast bucktails. Was wondering what colors would be better on sunny days and what colors are better on cloudy/dark days???? Silver blade/gold blade/colored blade, and color of bucktail, etc. Just bought a bunch more so I have a little selection to choose from. Wednesday was overcast and had all follows and hits on a gold blade and brown bucktail. Tried firetiger and gold blade and white bucktail also that day with no takers.................

I was going to make a cheesy joke about the large muskie being female and not knowing what they want and trying not to figure them out. But, I won't do that.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
My true belief is that while some days color is a factor and "color rules" CAN pay off ...presentation and timing are far more important. If their hungry they don't give a ratz azz what color it is they just know that it's moving and they are going to make it stop moving. One of the big rules I always use to follow is NO white bucktails at night. Well Pete Maina changed my mind on that one real quick lol. Another rule I have seen muskie guys swear by and seen it proven wrong is BRIGHT colors in CLEAR water. Like Firetiger or Greentiger. Lee Tauchen proved that wrong in 1 day of fishing. I can think of so many "rules" that have been broken by 1st class pro anglers and because of that I now fish out of the box more than IN. I WILL start with the general color rules for bucktails but if it's not working I'll go WAY against the grain size wise, retreive and color. Sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't. I WOULD say that if you find something that is WORKING don't change it until it STOPS working. You CAN get onto a good color pattern at times but at least for me it is never "long lived"..It's all about time on the water and how much time you have to figure it out

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
At 8:55 AM this morning under clear sunny skys with haze in the distance & clear water (72.8*) this 48" ski took a white & red bucktail that I tied up last night.
I was fishing by myself without a musky net so the pics suck.

Later on firetiger had them going.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Nice fish Mike.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jul 24 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice fish Mike.

Thanks Mr. B

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Jul 24 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At 8:55 AM this morning under clear sunny skys with haze in the distance & clear water (72.8*) this 48" ski took a white & red bucktail that I tied up last night.
I was fishing by myself without a musky net so the pics suck.

Later on firetiger had them going.

Good Job Zib!!! U want my net? I bought a new one.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Junkster @ Jul 24 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good Job Zib!!! U want my net? I bought a new one.

Thanks for that offer Dale. Is the net a musky size net? If so I'll take it.

BTW, we need to get out soon.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Jul 24 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Junkster @ Jul 24 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good Job Zib!!! U want my net? I bought a new one.

Thanks for that offer Dale. Is the net a musky size net? If so I'll take it.

BTW, we need to get out soon.

Sent you a pm concerning the net. We definately need to get out. I remember your generocity when I didn't have a boat and you're good company when musky casting. Look forward to you netting my fish...lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts