Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has ever used these on the lake? Happened to catch a show about a month
ago at 4 in the a.m. about the history of musky lures. It was very informative and the end of the show
was pretty much devoted to these dbl. cowgirls that were developed in Minn. Was thinkin about gettin
a couple to try. The web site is Jacksonlures.com.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
You must have watched Larry Dahlberg?.. the cowgirls are good. I have caught fish on them and seen some caught. They work all season. even early June. The rainbow/ nickle seems to get some big fish attention. also the Bucher ones work too if you want to spend 8 dollars less and get the same result

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I saw that show a few months back. It was very informative. They are used all the time in different forms. The dble cowgirls came from some guys at Rollie and Helens in Minn. Some of our local lure makers make the same things, but better. The thing that makes the cowgirls is the fact it has two blades instead of one. 9 mile BP, Jimmy's, and Anglers point (all lscn sponsors) carry St Clair Hounds. Hounds are double blades that come in four sizes and two different blade sizes with a multitude of colors.

The cowgirls are good, but I would prefer to give the business to our local baitstores and bait makers.

Those stores also have great selection with other bucktails like Brunner Runners.

A lot of nice ski's in the muskie bash came from double bladed tails. 4 - 50+ fish that know of.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
QUOTE(Woody95 @ Jul 28 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I saw that show a few months back. It was very informative. They are used all the time in different forms. The dble cowgirls came from some guys at Rollie and Helens in Minn. Some of our local lure makers make the same things, but better. The thing that makes the cowgirls is the fact it has two blades instead of one. 9 mile BP, Jimmy's, and Anglers point (all lscn sponsors) carry St Clair Hounds. Hounds are double blades that come in four sizes and two different blade sizes with a multitude of colors.

The cowgirls are good, but I would prefer to give the business to our local baitstores and bait makers.

Those stores also have great selection with other bucktails like Brunner Runners.

A lot of nice ski's in the muskie bash came from double bladed tails. 4 - 50+ fish that know of.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Anglers point has 2 different brands of the double bladed spinners. St clair hounds and I belive Big dog, both in a couple different colors. I bought one of each and had several follows on both lures. The St. clair hound has a better bucktail, but the one I bought I dont think both blades spin all the time, sometimes it has a decent pull and with a yank it seems to pull harder like they both are spinning. The other bucktail both blades spin all the time. They have a slightly harder pull then the single bladed spinners. I havent been muskie casting enough to tell they work better than the singles. I think its more a matter of getting the lure in front of a hungry fish. I would think if they would work that much better, that Muskie bob would make one also. Its probably a matter of preference more than anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use Musky Mayhem Tackle Double Showgirl Flashabou Bucktails, they are a little smaller and I have had great success with Gold Orange/Gold. I have yet to catch a musky on any other bucktail this year but I use this bucktail 90% of the time. If it is not broke why fix it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Cabelas carries double cowgirls and you can buy them online from Rollie and Helens (custom colors) and Thorne Brothers and many other places online. You may want to get a low ratio reel as throwing these all day is a good workout but they do produce fish.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
If you're looking to save some money then check out this guy...on Ebay sometimes under the user name tacklebooty & you can get the lures even cheaper. I've bought some cowgirls (he calls his Dominatrix) off ebay & got 2 of them for $17 plus $6 shipping. I know of other guys on this site that have bought them from him as well. They are some heavy duty bucktails (more so than those made by Musky Mayhem) that's for sure & they wear you out casting them.

Edit- Sorry Zib, I had to kill the page link, as they're not a sponsor. We can casually mention other brands and sellers, but can't link directly to them from here. -Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(Woody95 @ Jul 28 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The dble cowgirls came from some guys at Rollie and Helens in Minn.

Actually from a guy named Brad Hoppe out of Thorne's in MN. (R&H is in WI
) And it was actually his wife. She was in the fly shop portion of the store (Greatest store in the world-half fly shop, half muskie shop) and she was looking at the Flashabou and thought it'd look good on a bait and she was just messing around with one she tied up and caught a 50 on like the second cast ever. Now they've accounted for more 50" fish since 2007 than any other bait.

I use them. They're the baits down in my signature. That said, you will need the gear to pull them. You need a rod stout enough to not bend against the drag and a reel that won't strip the gears on the retrieve. They are serious gear and you've got to really want to cast one all day long, because they're wear you out.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Jul 28 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you're looking to save some money then check out this guy...on Ebay sometimes under the user name tacklebooty & you can get the lures even cheaper. I've have bought some cowgirls (he calls his Dominatrix) off ebay & got 2 of them for $17 plus $6 shipping. I know of other guys on this site that have bought them from him as well. They are some heavy duty bucktails (more so than those made by Musky Mayhem) that's for sure & they wear you out casting them.

I've got a couple of those, and I gotta say I prefer the originals by far. The Dominatrix are made with standard Flashabou and not the wider, stiffer saltwater Flashabou and they don't flare nearly as well. The three that I have all spin and don't flare like the DCG's. He does use split rings to attach the front hook, which is good and far, far, far better than using a clevis like alot of other brands do. I do like his soft platics though.

And I like that the DCG's are still made in MN and not China. I'm making my own now, but I'll still buy DCG's when I'm in a muskie shop.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Jul 28 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Edit- Sorry Zib, I had to kill the page link, as they're not a sponsor. We can casually mention other brands and sellers, but can't link directly to them from here. -Jeff

Musky Mayhem isn't a sponsor either but you have their color selection in your signature.

If you're going to start editing links to other businesses then you better get busy editing those from past posts as well.

DAM RULE BREAKERS!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
A c'mon now. Like I said in my PM to you, I don't mind mentioning other brands and sellers. Wemention Cabela's, Gander, Lund, Rapala, Shimano all the time and that's cool. That's fishing discussion, and is what we're doing here. But where Chris and Kevin and I decided to draw the line is actual hyperlinks to those pages that sell them. You can mention so-and-so baits, but if they're not a sponsor we can't link to it. Gotta watch out for the sponsors like Bob and Angler's Point and 9 Mile BP who've paid for the right to advertise and overtly mention their products and places.

And as far as my sig, they do happen to be DCG's, but I just posted a pic of conventional muskie baits to show I've "come to the dark side." I didn't name them by name, show their logo, or link to their site or where to get them. I could've just as easily put up a pic of a Grandma, Believer or Dawg, but those are even more image-specific. Double 10 bucktails are a dime a dozen and that picture is pretty generic IMO.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I use both. The spinners are heavier on the dominitrixes and their flashabou sometimes spins, however, I''v caught fish on both. Hey Zib the reason I started using them was because when I went fishing with you last year those big musky were chasing them. Joe Bucher flashabou work also.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
The dominatrix are cheap for a reason. yes they catch fish. but half the time the flashabou comes in all twisted up. Buchers and the cowgirls are they way to go. You might save some money with the dominatrix but it will cost you fish as well

·
Vendor
539 Posts
QUOTE(edalz @ Jul 28 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cabelas carries double cowgirls and you can buy them online from Rollie and Helens (custom colors) and Thorne Brothers and many other places online. You may want to get a low ratio reel as throwing these all day is a good workout but they do produce fish.

edalz brought a double cowgirl on my boat 2 years or so ago. I was like "what the $%^& is that?" and laughed. After seeing it in action I placed a $100.00 order of them that night. Orange blades black body does well and silver blades gray/white body also.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have caught some reel nice fish on the The Double Showgilrs. My wife insisted that I buy one.

Caught a 31 Pounder on the Gold with Gold skirt.

Alot of folks use Spanky's because they are tougher and heavier..

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input. Was thinking more of trollin with'em see'in as i'm kinda lazy when
I go fishing. Cast and retrieve looks like a lot of work when I just wanna get out and relax.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jul 28 2009, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The dominatrix are cheap for a reason. yes they catch fish. but half the time the flashabou comes in all twisted up. Buchers and the cowgirls are they way to go. You might save some money with the dominatrix but it will cost you fish as well

im just curious as to why you think theyll cost you fish. i just started using tails this year and we allready have one where the tail has lost alot of the hair, but is the first lure my brother puts out and its still catching fish wich leads me to believe the blade is the trigger plus mepps sells spinners with just a bare hook. i dont have any dcg,s but i do have spankys and they get twisted just like the china ones i figured it was the flashabou seeing as all bucktails spin in the water and i dont have that problem on the natural ones. plus im sure dragging them at 4 mph trolling helps em get tangled tails

1 - 20 of 25 Posts