Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have taken our boat out looking for musky 4 times now only one strike. We are heading out of metro next week, where should I be looking? I'm going to make bps run today to stock up for the trip bass, pike and musky lures. I am also a caster not a troller if that matters

Thanks,
Eric

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Find the weeds and avoid the gin clear water. There's muskie in there. More than one person has said, "there's no such thing as a bad cast on LSC." I believe more and more for that to be true.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
what have you been using?
Definately what Jeff said.. just find weeds and cast.. hit an area and work every inch. I dont know how many times I have drifted an area seeing no fish. only to come back and see multiple fish on the next

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jul 11 2009, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what have you been using?

First off thankyou guys for replying, I'm only 16 and love to learn new things!

I had been throwing a brunner runner , big storm kickin minnow, creekchub jointed minnow, and a mepps musky killer. I want to buy a topwater, butwhats better plug or buzzbait?

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
QUOTE(Fortino555 @ Jul 11 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jul 11 2009, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what have you been using?

First off thankyou guys for replying, I'm only 16 and love to learn new things!

I had been throwing a brunner runner , big storm kickin minnow, creekchub jointed minnow, and a mepps musky killer. I want to buy a topwater, butwhats better plug or buzzbait?

I would up size from the musky killer. but downsize on the kickin minnow if it is the 10", Your best bet is to get Giant killer tandems or blue fox tandems. the brunner runner is good though too. If you get topwater I heard Jimmys has Choppers. kind of tough on the weekends though with the boat traffic for topwater

·
Registered
958 Posts
as far as top water goes remember that you can easily twitch any floating plug. The thing I'm learning from all the books I'm reading on 'skies is that you want to match the food source when possible and then more on and diversify from there. That doesn't explain bucktails & spinner baits but I use that guide for the plugs.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
You've got some good lures there, so it must be down to location and/or presentation. Remember, 99% of fishing is location, depth, and speed.

My first tip is not to be afraid to burn 'em real fast, and sometimes dart them around like real baitfish do. You would be surprised just how fast you have to crank to get a lure moving at the preferred trolling speeds of 3.5 to 4 mph. Quick "flee" motions from pauses or slow retrieves can also trigger strikes.

Another is to pick up some lures that dive a bit, and will hold down when cranked fast. The pikie will go down a bit, but it's very hard to get the same depths casting as trolling. You might not be in the strike zone a lot of the time, though muskies will often go high, even in deeper water. But they are ambush predators, and I'm convinced trollers often put the bait pretty close to in front of their nose and get strikes from fish that are not actively feeding

A good tandem spinnerbait or two will also help you to work through weeds.

I'm also surprised that more people don't fish Buck Perry style, trolling until they locate the fish, then casting once they've found them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try some different speeds when I go, and find those weeds! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Give it time everyone here has some great advice for you. Lately I have had tons of follows on buck tails with few takers. Got my first top water yesterday.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Don't just use big baits. Try using 4"-5" as well. They will hit anything. Friday slower retrieves worked better. Try everything till you get the first one. That will tell you what they want.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jul 11 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You would be surprised just how fast you have to crank to get a lure moving at the preferred trolling speeds of 3.5 to 4 mph. Quick "flee" motions from pauses or slow retrieves can also trigger strikes.

I put together a retrieve speed calculator on my spreadsheet program, and found that it takes 2.4 handle turns per second to get 3.5 mph with a reel that brings in 25 in of line per turn, as my Penn309s do. Takes a little over 2 turns per second to get 3mph and a little under 3 turns per second to get 4mph for the same reel. That's pretty good crankin'!

Hope you get into some fish. Keep us posted. ><{{{{{{{{*>

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jul 13 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jul 11 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You would be surprised just how fast you have to crank to get a lure moving at the preferred trolling speeds of 3.5 to 4 mph. Quick "flee" motions from pauses or slow retrieves can also trigger strikes.

I put together a retrieve speed calculator on my spreadsheet program, and found that it takes 2.4 handle turns per second to get 3.5 mph with a reel that brings in 25 in of line per turn, as my Penn309s do. Takes a little over 2 turns per second to get 3mph and a little under 3 turns per second to get 4mph for the same reel. That's pretty good crankin'!

Hope you get into some fish. Keep us posted. ><{{{{{{{{*>

2.4 turns of the handle per second would wear most guys out in less than an hour (especially me
). The last time out I didn't get hit until I switched to my slower gear ratio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts