Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if I could get a little help here. I am looking to upgrade and a n quality Musky reel for casting and for around $100. I dont know if this product exsists, but any information would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
6,969 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Just a warning on the Cardiff- I tried one and it fell apart the first night I used it. May have been a "bad" one or whatever, but afterword I did what I should've done originally and took it back and got another 400TE. I'm a Shimano guy, and you'd think for $120 you'd get a better reel, but it didn't take to the 10's very well. Abu is good, but I do prefer Shimano.

But if you get it from Cabela's or something like that, and it craps itself, you're safe in that they'll take it back without much hassle.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
I just bought an Abu Garcia revo toro 61 on ebay for $140 shipped (supposed to be $250+). I know its a little than more $100, but a good reel should last U many years. Might want to check other models out on ebay................GOOD LUCK either way.........

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Aug 21 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a warning on the Cardiff- I tried one and it fell apart the first night I used it. May have been a "bad" one or whatever, but afterword I did what I should've done originally and took it back and got another 400TE. I'm a Shimano guy, and you'd think for $120 you'd get a better reel, but it didn't take to the 10's very well. Abu is good, but I do prefer Shimano.

But if you get it from Cabela's or something like that, and it craps itself, you're safe in that they'll take it back without much hassle.

I have a buddy that has a Cardiff & he likes it alot & hasn't had any problems with it. If money isn't a prob then go with the Calcutta.

You're right about the NO HASSLE return at Cabelas. That's one of the things I like about them over BPS.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Look for a Calcutta 400TE on ebay and you might be close to $100 if you get lucky and I got one for $122. Shimano guarantees the TE reels to be fixed in 2 days and they have good service. I have (2) 401TE's with power handles and love them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Aug 21 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(esoxfly @ Aug 21 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a warning on the Cardiff- I tried one and it fell apart the first night I used it. May have been a "bad" one or whatever, but afterword I did what I should've done originally and took it back and got another 400TE. I'm a Shimano guy, and you'd think for $120 you'd get a better reel, but it didn't take to the 10's very well. Abu is good, but I do prefer Shimano.

I have a buddy that has a Cardiff & he likes it alot & hasn't had any problems with it. If money isn't a prob then go with the Calcutta.

You're right about the NO HASSLE return at Cabelas. That's one of the things I like about them over BPS.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Cabelas is changing their retun policy as of 9/1 at not for the better. Ever since the Cabelas family sold out it seems the service at Cabelas has gone down and that is too bad because I used to buy all my equipment there. Make sure the manufacturer has a good quality record and provide good service.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Hey Esox it took me about 3 weeks to wear mine out to the point of no return. They stink.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Aug 22 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Esox it took me about 3 weeks to wear mine out to the point of no return. They stink.

The Cardiff? Yeah, something about "made in Bangladesh" on the foot got me wondering. Too bad they sold out on that reel, and then still sold it for $120. I'm all about a proper Japanese-made Shimano and don't mind paying for it, but their offshore stuff appears to be crap.

Same with AG. I think you're better off sticking with the Swedish-made models. Quality control goes to hell when they outsource.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Abu has worked fine for me Ever since they came out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One more question on the reels. I have an option of purchasing an Abu Garcia 6500 but do I want the one with a gear ratio of 5.3:1 or 6.3:1. I would mostly be using to cast bucktails but may be throwing some others in the future.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(jb10 @ Aug 26 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One more question on the reels. I have an option of purchasing an Abu Garcia 6500 but do I want the one with a gear ratio of 5.3:1 or 6.3:1. I would mostly be using to cast bucktails but may be throwing some others in the future.

If you plan on throwing double bladed cowgirls then go with the slower gear ratio. Your arms will thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Aug 22 2009, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks guys for the help!

picked up a Penn 525 MAG on ebay for about 100
sweeet - with the mag controll you can cast any weight you want with no birdsnest
from spoons to the big kickin minnows - no problem at all

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Aug 26 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(jb10 @ Aug 26 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One more question on the reels. I have an option of purchasing an Abu Garcia 6500 but do I want the one with a gear ratio of 5.3:1 or 6.3:1. I would mostly be using to cast bucktails but may be throwing some others in the future.

If you plan on throwing double bladed cowgirls then go with the slower gear ratio. Your arms will thank you.

Like Zib said, go low if you want to throw big blades. Otherwise I would choose the 6.3.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts