Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I CAUGHT MY FIRST LEGAL MUSKY THIS WEEKEND. A NICE 43" CASTING ON A MEDUIM SIZE SPINNERBAIT. I HAD THE FISH OUT OF THE WATER 2-3 MINUTES FOR UNHOOKING, A PICTURE, AND A QUICK MEASUREMENT. I THOUGHT THAT WAS PRETTY FAST CONSIDERING IT WAS A FISH WITH AN ATTITUDE. I WAS VERY SURPRISED WHEN THE FISH JUST ROLLED ON THE SURFACE AFTER RELEASE. I GRABBED THE MUSKY BY THE TAIL FIN, AND SLOWLY WORKED THE FISH BACK AND FORTH, TRYING TO GET IT BREATHING CORRECTLY. AFTER SEVERAL MINUTES THE FISH SNAPPED OUT OF IT, AND TOOK OFF LIKE A RUN AWAY TRAIN. THE FISH WASN'T HOOKED BAD AT ALL, AND I GOT IT IN FAIRLY QUICKLY (IT MADE THREE RUNS). THE MUCKY WAS ALSO COVERED IN A SLIM OF KIND. I BELIEVE THE MUSKY WAS IN THE BOTTOM OF THE WEEDS. IS ALL THIS NORMAL FOR A FISH OF THIS SIZE?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Bob B. will be most knowledgeable regarding release method for muskies. But IMHO, your experience is very normal. Once unhooked, you have two options. When the water temps are about 72 degrees or lower, "swimming" the fish back and forth while holding the tail with one hand and steadying the fish underneath its belly with the other is the usual, noncontroversial method. When water temps are much above 72 degrees, you can "torpedo" the fish back into the water by cradling its belly and holding its tail and giving it a good old heave-ho overboard. The fish will arc up and then down and dive well beneath the warmer surface water to the cooler, more oxygenated water beneath. The torpedo release does not seem to be practiced as much as swimming the fish.

I think that Bob would tell you to swim the fish whenever possible. I've seen him do it and he treats the fish like it was kin.

By the way, congratulations on your legal!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Congrats on putting your first legal back. A lot of people take them home to show them off then throw them away. Working the fish on the surface is by far the best way. Just because you torpedo it into cooler water doesn't mean it will come back as far as I Know.. Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts