Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out twice this weekend. Saturday, beautiful day on water by 7 went to "dumping ground" area, sorry if I don't use right terms I'm new here. Within 15 minutes we were pulling perch in boat. We had 2 on that had to be over 14 inches they were whoppers and that's no big fish story. We were targeting smallies, so these perch were hitting large shinners on a drop shop style set up. about another 1/2 hours my son pulls in the 1st 22in smallie on the day it was a #$*#)* whale I didn't think the kid was ever going to get it in the boat. We land 4 more close to that size. Near the end of the day something hit the line and started stripping line like it was attached to a boat. It caught the other lines in water and before we could cut the line it broke off. Had to be a musky the way it stripped line. So my question is what do you do with these fish, we have never caught one, but never targeted them either. But it's all my son is talking about I'm going to have to take him. If he does get one do we release it?? I wish I had camera with me to show pics, I've learned my lesson.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
im not telling u what to do but everyone practices catch and release when it comes to muskie take a picture and let them live to fight another day if u had a canadian license i would be more then happy to take u and your son muskie fishing and good job on those 14"ers

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I'd release it. If it's a big one take good pictures & measurements & have a replica made.

A lot of fish will strip off line, some more than others. I caught a channel cat (about 9 Lbs) a few weeks ago that went forever & came close to spooling me (6 Lb mono on a ML rod).

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Since you asked, YES RELEASE IT! Since you asked, but ultimately, if it's a legal fish it's up to you to keep it or not.

But like Zib said, it could've been a carp or a catfish, but could've been a muskie too. It's hard to say. Make sure you're ready for the fish before it happens-have the boat interior clean and free of stray hooks and trash, have the net and camera ready because when it happens, it's chaos and that's not the time to get things straight.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
QUOTE(want2bfisher @ Sep 8 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was out twice this weekend. Saturday, beautiful day on water by 7 went to "dumping ground" area, sorry if I don't use right terms I'm new here. Within 15 minutes we were pulling perch in boat. We had 2 on that had to be over 14 inches they were whoppers and that's no big fish story. We were targeting smallies, so these perch were hitting large shinners on a drop shop style set up. about another 1/2 hours my son pulls in the 1st 22in smallie on the day it was a #$*#)* whale I didn't think the kid was ever going to get it in the boat. We land 4 more close to that size. Near the end of the day something hit the line and started stripping line like it was attached to a boat. It caught the other lines in water and before we could cut the line it broke off. Had to be a musky the way it stripped line. So my question is what do you do with these fish, we have never caught one, but never targeted them either. But it's all my son is talking about I'm going to have to take him. If he does get one do we release it?? I wish I had camera with me to show pics, I've learned my lesson.

Cut the line? Why cut the line? You might have a fish of a life time!

Yes catch and release is the best practice for most fish unless you are dealing with a record. It is up to the fisherman if they want to keep a legal size fish.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
198 Posts
QUOTE(AlexG @ Sep 8 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(want2bfisher @ Sep 8 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was out twice this weekend. Saturday, beautiful day on water by 7 went to "dumping ground" area, sorry if I don't use right terms I'm new here. Within 15 minutes we were pulling perch in boat. We had 2 on that had to be over 14 inches they were whoppers and that's no big fish story. We were targeting smallies, so these perch were hitting large shinners on a drop shop style set up. about another 1/2 hours my son pulls in the 1st 22in smallie on the day it was a #$*#)* whale I didn't think the kid was ever going to get it in the boat. We land 4 more close to that size. Near the end of the day something hit the line and started stripping line like it was attached to a boat. It caught the other lines in water and before we could cut the line it broke off. Had to be a musky the way it stripped line. So my question is what do you do with these fish, we have never caught one, but never targeted them either. But it's all my son is talking about I'm going to have to take him. If he does get one do we release it?? I wish I had camera with me to show pics, I've learned my lesson.

Yes catch and release is the best practice for most fish unless you are dealing with a record. It is up to the fisherman if they want to keep a legal size fish.

Welcome to the site.

Anyone fishing on muskie and pike infested waters should have all the gear for unhooking (including jaw spreaders) or cutting hooks, landing, measuring, pics and handling. I've seen bass fishermen that didn't have the right stuff put the hurt on a big muskie. I motored over and helped but took it a long time to swim, so its probably dead now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(rustyman @ Sep 8 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(AlexG @ Sep 8 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(want2bfisher @ Sep 8 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was out twice this weekend. Saturday, beautiful day on water by 7 went to "dumping ground" area, sorry if I don't use right terms I'm new here. Within 15 minutes we were pulling perch in boat. We had 2 on that had to be over 14 inches they were whoppers and that's no big fish story. We were targeting smallies, so these perch were hitting large shinners on a drop shop style set up. about another 1/2 hours my son pulls in the 1st 22in smallie on the day it was a #$*#)* whale I didn't think the kid was ever going to get it in the boat. We land 4 more close to that size. Near the end of the day something hit the line and started stripping line like it was attached to a boat. It caught the other lines in water and before we could cut the line it broke off. Had to be a musky the way it stripped line. So my question is what do you do with these fish, we have never caught one, but never targeted them either. But it's all my son is talking about I'm going to have to take him. If he does get one do we release it?? I wish I had camera with me to show pics, I've learned my lesson.

Welcome to the site.

Anyone fishing on muskie and pike infested waters should have all the gear for unhooking (including jaw spreaders) or cutting hooks, landing, measuring, pics and handling. I've seen bass fishermen that didn't have the right stuff put the hurt on a big muskie. I motored over and helped but took it a long time to swim, so its probably dead now.

Hold on guys, we weren't by any means targeting musky because we didn't have the correct gear. As for cutting line I was trying to cut the line on the 2 other poles that this fish went accross before we could pull them out of the water. I am in the midst of setting up a trip with one of your more experienced Musky fisherman here so we can get an idea of what we are in for. I'll keep you posted. I have to say what a difference fishing on SC rather than the smaller inland lakes out here in Irish Hills. Awesome is the only word I can think of.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
QUOTE(want2bfisher @ Sep 9 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(rustyman @ Sep 8 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(AlexG @ Sep 8 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(want2bfisher @ Sep 8 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was out twice this weekend. Saturday, beautiful day on water by 7 went to "dumping ground" area, sorry if I don't use right terms I'm new here. Within 15 minutes we were pulling perch in boat. We had 2 on that had to be over 14 inches they were whoppers and that's no big fish story. We were targeting smallies, so these perch were hitting large shinners on a drop shop style set up. about another 1/2 hours my son pulls in the 1st 22in smallie on the day it was a #$*#)* whale I didn't think the kid was ever going to get it in the boat. We land 4 more close to that size. Near the end of the day something hit the line and started stripping line like it was attached to a boat. It caught the other lines in water and before we could cut the line it broke off. Had to be a musky the way it stripped line. So my question is what do you do with these fish, we have never caught one, but never targeted them either. But it's all my son is talking about I'm going to have to take him. If he does get one do we release it?? I wish I had camera with me to show pics, I've learned my lesson.

Welcome to the site.

Hold on guys, we weren't by any means targeting musky because we didn't have the correct gear. As for cutting line I was trying to cut the line on the 2 other poles that this fish went accross before we could pull them out of the water. I am in the midst of setting up a trip with one of your more experienced Musky fisherman here so we can get an idea of what we are in for. I'll keep you posted. I have to say what a difference fishing on SC rather than the smaller inland lakes out here in Irish Hills. Awesome is the only word I can think of.

I understand now on the cutting the lines part
As for not having muskie gear if you are not targeting them its not needed. If you have some pliers and some cutters you are all set which are needed for any kind of fishing. Good luck on the muskie trip. If you decide to get into muskie fishing there is a muskie school planned September 19th. I am not sure if there are any more spots open but there will be seminars on casting and trolling for them that are going over gear needed. After the seminars we will be taking ppl out casting and trolling to get some hands on experience. The thread for the muskie school is in the fishing hole named Muskie School.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(want2bfisher @ Sep 8 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was out twice this weekend. Saturday, beautiful day on water by 7 went to "dumping ground" area, sorry if I don't use right terms I'm new here. Within 15 minutes we were pulling perch in boat. We had 2 on that had to be over 14 inches they were whoppers and that's no big fish story. We were targeting smallies, so these perch were hitting large shinners on a drop shop style set up. about another 1/2 hours my son pulls in the 1st 22in smallie on the day it was a #$*#)* whale I didn't think the kid was ever going to get it in the boat. We land 4 more close to that size. Near the end of the day something hit the line and started stripping line like it was attached to a boat. It caught the other lines in water and before we could cut the line it broke off. Had to be a musky the way it stripped line. So my question is what do you do with these fish, we have never caught one, but never targeted them either. But it's all my son is talking about I'm going to have to take him. If he does get one do we release it?? I wish I had camera with me to show pics, I've learned my lesson.

My advice to you is to just do a little research on the fish. Get on the net.. google muskie and you'l learn what you need to know before catching one of these beasts. It CAN be dangerous to you and especially your little one if you don't know what these fish are capable of so please do some research
Catch and release is NEVER frowned upon but you have the right to do as you wish.

·
Vendor
539 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.