Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through some of the postings on this site I'm starting to realize that you guys are either full of it when it comes to the #'s of smallmouth you're catching or I am absolutely doing something wrong. [/font] I'll manage to catch 5-10 each time I go out but can't understand how some people are pulling up 50-100 a day!

This is basically what my day looks like (since its obviously not working I'm not worried about someone taking all my secrets
):
1.) Do some vertical jigging in the D. River (maybe pick up one fish here)
2.) Move into LSC and work the new weed lines that are popping up in 5-7 fow (maybe pick up one or two more here)
3.) Get frustrated that fishing seems random and start looking for rock piles in 4-6 fow (get one here)
4.) Still nothing consistent so i move to channels and work the edges with cranks and plastic (usually pick up 2 or 3 here)
5.) Move back to the weed lines (yet one or two more sporadic fish)

Any ideas here? Just started fishing LSC this year and could probably use a guide to show me what the heck is going on out there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
well, i can only catch 50-100 fish per day during the early c&r season... i don't think too many people are doing that now,, that is much earlier in the year, late april, early may. right now, if you are catching 50 fish a day, i would guess most of them would be just 2 pounders. nitroderrek

·
Registered
269 Posts
Must be early in the year C&R. I think the fish are pretty scattered now. I havent herd of anyone getting those kind of numbers lately.

·
Registered
98 Posts
THE BIG NUMBERS ARE CAUGHT EARLIER... AND SINCE MOST OF US ARE FULL OF IT I'D SUGGEST HIRING A GUIDE AND PUT A LITTLE MONEY INTO IT. MOST OF THE TIME PEOPLE COME ON HERE FOR TIPS THEY DONT START OUT BY TELLIN PEOPLE THEY'RE FULL OF IT. IF YOU DONT WANT TO PUT MONEY INTO IT ID SUGGEST TALKING OR ASKING NICELY SOME OF THE LOCALS ON HERE. THEY ARE GENERALLY GOOD PEOPLE AND DONT MIND HELPING PEOPLE OUT IF THEY ARE ASKED APPROPRIATELY!!!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good Numbers of fish are still being caught on the South Shore right now. The DR and SCR arent real good producers for smallmouth this early in the year, i usually wait until late july-mid august to drag tubes in the river. Right now, i mainly fish rock piles in 6ft water. If i can manage to find some deeper rock piles i usually find more, and bigger fish on them.

At this time of year, a solid 15-20 fish is a good day.

Its all about experience and conditions.

BassassassinJR

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(nitroderrek @ Jul 1 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>well, i can only catch 50-100 fish per day during the early c&r season... i don't think too many people are doing that now,, that is much earlier in the year, late april, early may. right now, if you are catching 50 fish a day, i would guess most of them would be just 2 pounders. nitroderrek

Well, that makes sense and gives me a little hope. Does the fishing get so sporadic that you'll go 2 hours between fish out there. Perhaps i was spoiled by the cr season where everything was working. Could have sworn we had it all figured out. probably why they call it fishing not catching.

thanks for the info gang.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Like everyone else has said, most of those 50-100 fish days are the early part of C&R. Most guys don't define what a "DAY" of fishing is. For some a "DAY" is 8 hours, to others its 12 or 16 hours. The fish now are more scattered & once the weather & water temps stabilize more the SM will be in bigger schools chasing baitfish.

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE(Amsuly @ Jul 1 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(nitroderrek @ Jul 1 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>well, i can only catch 50-100 fish per day during the early c&r season... i don't think too many people are doing that now,, that is much earlier in the year, late april, early may. right now, if you are catching 50 fish a day, i would guess most of them would be just 2 pounders. nitroderrek

Well, that makes sense and gives me a little hope. Does the fishing get so sporadic that you'll go 2 hours between fish out there. Perhaps i was spoiled by the cr season where everything was working. Could have sworn we had it all figured out. probably why they call it fishing not catching.

thanks for the info gang.

Usually if i go an hour without catching a fish, i make a move. I have so many diffrent spots that are all good in certain conditions, so i know i can be catching fish somewhere else.

The more you fish the lake, the more you will figure out the smallies. And you will eventually find some goo early-mid summer spots. But once summer comes in full gear, im dragging tubes in the SCR.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to find a site with solid members like this who don't mind helping a fella out. A day on the water for me is usually 8-10 hours.

Sorry if the "full of it" comment got under someone's skin. Just some good natured ribbing.

good luck out there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE(Amsuly @ Jul 1 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Glad to find a site with solid members like this who don't mind helping a fella out. A day on the water for me is usually 8-10 hours.

Sorry if the "full of it" comment got under someone's skin. Just some good natured ribbing.

good luck out there.

Thats what this site is for. But if your in to the whole vetical jiggin/draggin in the rivers. I would recomend the SCR over the DR, ive alwayz caught more fish in there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to head over there once things stabilize a little. Never fished it but from what I've read its deeper (30-40fow) then the DR and the fish tend to run a bit bigger as well. Any truth to that? Probably need some heavy jig heads to keep it down there huh?

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE(Amsuly @ Jul 1 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll have to head over there once things stabilize a little. Never fished it but from what I've read its deeper (30-40fow) then the DR and the fish tend to run a bit bigger as well. Any truth to that? Probably need some heavy jig heads to keep it down there huh?

I do tend to catch bigger fish in the SCR. Heavier jig-heads are a must to stay in contact witht he bottom.

The only bad thing about the SCR is that there is a good amount of snaggs throughout the river, but those rocks/sunken boats/driftwood that you snagg on is what the fish relate to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
[quote name='Amsuly' date='Jul 1 2009, 11:28 PM' post='886796']
Glad to find a site with solid members like this who don't mind helping a fella out. A day on the water for me is usually 8-10 hours.

good luck out there.

THE SAME HERE... THESE GUYS KNOW THEIR STUFF ESPECIALLY THE LONGTIMERS. HOPE YOU GET THINGS WORKED OUT AND GET BACK INTO THE FISH..
TIGHT LINES AND BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
20 to 25 fish is the right number right now most fish are still swallow water 4 to 7 ft 1 here 1 there small schools of fish not like last year 100 to 150 per day 6 till 1pm.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
I agree with the general concensus. Earlier in the year is the time for big numbers, now that the spawn is over the numbers do drop off, as the fish start to move to deeper cooler waters.
Finding them as they transition is tricky, but for me it involves thought more than anything else. Think Like A Fish. If you were a bass where would you go? What do they look for? What are their needs? What forage is available and where?
Do some research, start here:

http://www.marinecruiser.com/chart.html

Click to zoom and use the compass arrows to pan your way around the lake and look for likely spots.

If that doesn't help do some research, here are some good sources of info:

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/bass_fishing_articles.html

http://home.comcast.net/~rkrz/eblures/index.htm

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Yeah...what they said

The fish are in transition to their summer haunts and are still pretty scattered. Rapid warming of surface temps last week, followed by cool weather this week won't help. The south shore of the lake typically gives better numbers in early summer, but not the numbers you'll see through May on our side of the lake.

Stick with it and don't get discouraged. To me, the hunt is the part that keeps it challenging. Whacking a bunch of big fish after you put the time in is the big pay-off, and makes the catching just that much sweeter.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Everyone is right on the money. If I can catch 20 in 6 hrs these days I'm pretty happy. Also keep in mind that those magical 100 fish days were almost certainly with 2-3 guys in the boat, not one guy catching 100 fish...

The fishing will be much tougher now. The fish are scattering, moving deeper, weeds are coming up, etc.

If you have a canadian license, I find the fishing to be more consistent over there for some reason.

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Jul 2 2009, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah...what they said

The fish are in transition to their summer haunts and are still pretty scattered. Rapid warming of surface temps last week, followed by cool weather this week won't help. The south shore of the lake typically gives better numbers in early summer, but not the numbers you'll see through May on our side of the lake.

Stick with it and don't get discouraged. To me, the hunt is the part that keeps it challenging. Whacking a bunch of big fish after you put the time in is the big pay-off, and makes the catching just that much sweeter.

I'm going to add an unsolicited plug for CaptDoug here... I've been an avid fisherman most of my life. I've only fished LSC for about 3 years. Last year we splurged and hired Doug to show us the ropes on the river. The fishing on LSC can be tough in the warmer months. You'll save yourself a lot of time and gas hiring a guide to introduce you to some new areas and techniques. I had never hired a guide before. Doug showed me and my eldest Son some spots and techniques we were'nt familiar with. The education was worth the $$$. This spring, I ran into Doug at one of the launches. My brother was in town from PA and the weather was horrible. Doug had his own idea's on what to do but took an extra step to call a buddy of his to double check on another area of the lake where the weather was'nt such a factor. Not only did we have success in that area, he also gave me a few swim baits with the weighted hooks to try. So, the point is, LSC is loaded with fish. This time of year you need to spread out if the ususal spots aren't producing. It might be worth it to give Doug a call.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(NeverGiveUp @ Jul 2 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Jul 2 2009, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah...what they said

I'm going to add an unsolicited plug for CaptDoug here... I've been an avid fisherman most of my life. I've only fished LSC for about 3 years. Last year we splurged and hired Doug to show us the ropes on the river. The fishing on LSC can be tough in the warmer months. You'll save yourself a lot of time and gas hiring a guide to introduce you to some new areas and techniques. I had never hired a guide before. Doug showed me and my eldest Son some spots and techniques we were'nt familiar with. The education was worth the $$$. This spring, I ran into Doug at one of the launches. My brother was in town from PA and the weather was horrible. Doug had his own idea's on what to do but took an extra step to call a buddy of his to double check on another area of the lake where the weather was'nt such a factor. Not only did we have success in that area, he also gave me a few swim baits with the weighted hooks to try. So, the point is, LSC is loaded with fish. This time of year you need to spread out if the ususal spots aren't producing. It might be worth it to give Doug a call.

Thanks Mike! Glad to hear everything worked out and that you got your brother into some fish.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts