Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I where sighting in his muzzle loader yesterday. We were using 2, 50 grain 777 pellets. They seemed to foul up the barrel very quickly and quite alot of smoke out of the muzzle. His gun is a CVA Optima pro .50 cal inline.

What load combination do you like the best? Do you perfer pelets or lose powder and what brand?

The bullet we are using are Hornaday Sabots
50 caliber 44-240 HP/XTP

The last time I shot was when the first came out with pyrodex. The sport has changed alot since then! You shot a round ball, a maxi ball and ff black powder. No such thing as a inline.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Pyrodex makes pellets and I just picked up my new muzzleloader last year. That new Omega .50 (SWEET)
I was just shooting 2 50 grain pellets and the 240 hollowpoint sabots. Worked incredible! Tested the impact on coffee cans and 2 liters. Burns clean and shot great. You won't be dissappointed!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a cva stag horn magnum 50 cal with a tasco scope. I use pyrodyx pellets 150 grain total.I use the power point bullets @295 grain I just swab it with this stuff it comes in a white bottle i for ot the name but all sporting goods have it. Its real good stuff. I can keep three shots in about an inch and a half circle @100 yrds I shot a 5 point buck @ 65 to 70 yrds (heart lung shot)during gun season with my muzzle load. Also shot a wild boar at a ranch I useitduring gun season now. Ill find my bottle and post the name here. Look into those power point bullets there a little bit more but they are pretty accurate

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been using my muzzle loader for about 3 tyears now and have switched fromthe pyrodex to the triple 7 pellets due to easier cleaning (I mean much easier). I did however see a slight differencein the shot - had a little more drop @ 150 yards but still took 2 nice deer with it aorund 120 and 130 yards last year - both single shots and they ran less than 20 yards ( I also only use 100 grains - 2 pellets plenty for anywhere around here)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts