Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife is buying me a Christmas present this year... im thinking of ether a s&w .500 mag or maybe a .357 mag i would want it for deer hunting... she is the best

what should i get? this is probably a question for bigdog ..

·
Registered
528 Posts
500s&W hands down. Although a 357 is lethal, I personally wouldnt handgun hunt with anything less than a 44mag. I had a 480 Ruger and loved it, but let it go about 2years ago when I found out they were going to cut back/quit making the guns and ammo would be limited. Afterall, the 454 Casull was close in competition to the 480 and the obviously superior round was the 454. A 500 S&W with proper port work, trigger work, optics, and quality ammo is lethel out to 100-125yrds. I wouldnt shoot a 357mag over 50yrds for large game even though it might be accurate beyond that.

I vote that you should look at a 500 S&W or a 454 Casull. If you go with the 454, take a very close look at the beefy Taurus Raging Bull with an 8" barrel in stainless. It is a quality wheel gun that is very accurate, durable, and with Taurus' lifetime warrany and excellent customer service (from personal experience), it would be a firearm you can keep for the rest of your life. I don't recall if Taurus makes a Raging Bull in or revolver in 500SW. At least they didn't two years ago.

FYI, I love my friends S&W in 500SW. He had extensive port work, cylinder work, trigger work, and it was polished and brushed in a custom pattern, cost him near $1,800. We were shooting 450gr rounds out of it and the kick was no worse than a non-ported 44mag. He hunts with 375 hollow points out of it and it is his only weapon of choice in the shotgun zone firearm season. It has taken many deer.

And as far as optics are concerned, I would recommend a variable handgun scope in 1.5-4x for the 500 or 454, with the 357, you could get away with a non-adjustable scope at 1.5x

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Oct 9 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>500s&W hands down. Although a 357 is lethal, I personally wouldnt handgun hunt with anything less than a 44mag. I had a 480 Ruger and loved it, but let it go about 2years ago when I found out they were going to cut back/quit making the guns and ammo would be limited. Afterall, the 454 Casull was close in competition to the 480 and the obviously superior round was the 454. A 500 S&W with proper port work, trigger work, optics, and quality ammo is lethel out to 100-125yrds. I wouldnt shoot a 357mag over 50yrds for large game even though it might be accurate beyond that.

I vote that you should look at a 500 S&W or a 454 Casull. If you go with the 454, take a very close look at the beefy Taurus Raging Bull with an 8" barrel in stainless. It is a quality wheel gun that is very accurate, durable, and with Taurus' lifetime warrany and excellent customer service (from personal experience), it would be a firearm you can keep for the rest of your life. I don't recall if Taurus makes a Raging Bull in or revolver in 500SW. At least they didn't two years ago.

FYI, I love my friends S&W in 500SW. He had extensive port work, cylinder work, trigger work, and it was polished and brushed in a custom pattern, cost him near $1,800. We were shooting 450gr rounds out of it and the kick was no worse than a non-ported 44mag. He hunts with 375 hollow points out of it and it is his only weapon of choice in the shotgun zone firearm season. It has taken many deer.

And as far as optics are concerned, I would recommend a variable handgun scope in 1.5-4x for the 500 or 454, with the 357, you could get away with a non-adjustable scope at 1.5x
the 500 was my choice also but the wife wants to shoot it too...I shot a friends desert eagle its a real nice gun but it might to much for her. but if i get that and she dont like it ill have to talk her into something smaller for her..
see i win both ways

1 - 5 of 5 Posts