Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She informed me today that she wants to go to a school closer to home-

I'm thinking she's scared

she is generally a homebody like me. I hate to see her give up this opportunity...she has worked so hard.

Question-
If I have her go to Macomb or Oakland for the first year will she be able to transfer credits and will scholarships still be available for a big school like MSU if she doesn't go right from high school ?????

anyone??

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
yes and no

MSU is for trampy girls anyway, she's way better off not going there.

She will have no problem getting into a "bigger" school after a few years at a community college. It might even be easier. If she is not ready to go, do not make her.

I am pretty sure the scholorships situation will change. I am not sure how and it might not be for the worse, but it will definately change.

Oakland University is a GREAT school for many many things. It is also quite a bit closer to home and is a 4 year university. If she is not too naieve <--SP? then Wayne State is also a good university and she will probably get a full ride there. The University Center at MCC offers bachelor degrees as well in certain fields. Lawrence Tech is a very recognized engineering and business and architecture school.
She should focus on what general type of fields she wants to study and pick a school from that.

I have pretty strong negative feelings about MSU.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
It's naive, Haze-meister.

What about an MSU extension? Isn't there one locally?

I understand her not wanting to leave YOU - I couldn't be that far away from you either

I already gave you the rest of my .02 cents on this topic................

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let me stress that this thread is not meant to bash MSU-

she really wanted to go there-

so please refrain from the U of M posting or saying that "trashy girls " go to MSU

I just want advice from other parents that sent kids to college or from members here that have gone to college.
I don't want to make her go or mess up her scholarship's- she is basically eligible for a full ride right now-

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Oakland University is a great alternative to jumping into a school like MSU or U of M., and she can transfer to the school she wants to graduate from MSU? in a year or 2. Moving away from home into a dorm and have a stranger for a roommate isn't for everyone, and can be a major obstacle in getting comfortable with college. Going to Wayne Stae or MSU lets her live at home where she's in comfortable surroundings, even though she probably won't admit it!

As a past dorm rat and Resident Assistant/Assistant Director of a residence hall, my $0.02

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Saleena362 @ Mar 3 2004, 10:06 PM)It's naive, Haze-meister.

What about an MSU extension? Isn't there one locally?

I understand her not wanting to leave YOU - I couldn't be that far away from you either

I already gave you the rest of my .02 cents on this topic................
thanks Lane-

I was nervous about her leaving also- and she is close to me- but I hate to see her give up or put off such a great opportunity-

I'm thinking we need to go tour the school- that might spark some interest again ??

·
LSCN Sponsor
328 Posts
Hi
God if me or Shanndog could have 5 minutes with her we could both convince her. It is so hard to finish college if you don't just go and do it. I am still working on it at 36 and Shandog just finished. When you stay close to home it is really easy to stray to a job and then only take half the classes, then just go part time then say oh well it will take me a couple extra years, then get a car and start liking the money and you are down to one class a semester, wow so many distractions. I was accepted to A college out of high school, my parents were going to pay for the full ride and I was scared to death to go. I really regret it. I wish I could talk to her it was really a big regret later on.

Last week a women bought a boat from us, she works at Ameritech 28 years old $80,000 per year. I think of where I would be now if I finished college at 23 or 24 and went to big company, The skis the limit with a MSU degree. (And I go U of M
) Any big college is an investment in your future and though money is not everything it sure makes lifes every day challenges easier.

No matter what she does end up doing though I wish her the best of luck!!! And you too

Take Care
Sue

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(damn yankee @ Mar 3 2004, 10:13 PM)Oakland University is a great alternative to jumping into a school like MSU or U of M., and she can transfer to the school she wants to graduate from MSU? in a year or 2. Moving away from home into a dorm and have a stranger for a roommate isn't for everyone, and can be a major obstacle in getting comfortable with college. Going to Wayne Stae or MSU lets her live at home where she's in comfortable surroundings, even though she probably won't admit it!

As a past dorm rat and Resident Assistant/Assistant Director of a residence hall, my $0.02
my daughter, Laney and myself had a long talk about Oakland University before and she was interested......
so we will see.
I would be okay with it if she could still receive the scholarships and be ale to transfer credits.

Evil shot girl goes to Oakland........any thoughts Lori??

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(puppetshow @ Mar 3 2004, 11:06 PM)let me stress that this thread is not meant to bash MSU-

she really wanted to go there-

so please refrain from the U of M posting or saying that "trashy girls " go to MSU
I am not a "fan" of college sports and all that and was not trying to bash MSU. I actually feel and believe that. I know many people that have gone there. It in ranked as one of the top ten party schools year after year after year. MSU is about the prettiest campus that I have seen here in the USA but I seroiusly question the quality of the education there. That's why I didn't congraulate her on the acceptance when you posted that a while back. Does she want and education or a piece of paper that has a recognisable name because of a football team??

I am sure your daughter is really quite an intelligent person and should have no problem getting into any other school of her choice. Sue is absolutley correct in saying that she should go full time nonstop until she graduates. Going away is also really important and would be really good, but only if she's ready.

·
Registered
456 Posts
From CBJ.

General educational requirments R required B4 start your degree. G.E.R. are BS. The college just wants to make a buck. You dont even have to take classes that pertain to what your degree is about. If this rule is still present when my kids go to college, theyll get their G.E.R. at 12 mile high and then Ill ship her off to some fancy super duper college. Where she'll B edjewcated.
Get it edjewcated. Im so SMART so very SMART smrt thats me.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(The Warden @ Mar 3 2004, 11:34 PM)From CBJ.

General educational requirments R required B4 start your degree. G.E.R. are BS. The college just wants to make a buck. You dont even have to take classes that pertain to what your degree is about.
that is all true, but the education gained from going away to school isn't academic and it is quite quite quite valuable.

·
LSCN Sponsor
328 Posts
You know your daughter best, you and her together will make the right decision. My Mother let me come home and go to Macomb and even though I regret it looking back I don't regret the decision to stay home. If that makes sense. I love her for allowing me to do what I thought I needed to do at the time. My family was in a recovery stage and I felt I needed to be there with them. Every person is different, if she is smart enough to get to where she is then she is smart enough to make this choice for her future with her Mom by her side.

Again Good Luck

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Iam not a parent but lisa she just loves you and doesnt want to be far away from you.sounds like to me.. Maybey shes worried she wont get to see you as often as she wants to..Its a big step leaving your family.You can suggest options but only she can decide what is best for her.Dont let any one push her,it has to be her decision.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would try to talk her into going to MSU. I can't believe I just said that
Back to seriousness, I have to agree with ECHSUE, I got caught up working and going to school. I started off at MCC going full time, but started getting promoted at work. I gradually cut back my classes. I then went to Wayne and got another promotion. Nothing against WSU, but I absolutely hated it! It's not a good place to take classes at night and you get harrassed (SP?) by bums as soon as you walk out of a building. I decided I better get my sh!t together and finish school, so I transferred to U of M. I just got my BSE last April, it took me 10 years. I wish I would have just come here from the very start.

As far as scholarships and credits go, it really depends. I know U of M has some scholarships specifically for transfer students. I think most big schools have the same thing, but you should probably check on it for sure. You are also still eligible for federal grants and of course loans.

When I transferred here they accepted 83 of my credits. If she does end up going to another school with aspirations of transferring, make sure you/she makes a counseling appointment at the school she is going to AS WELL AS the school she wants to transfer to. Get the transfer credit sheets from both schools and compare them, but go off the one that you got from the school she wants to transfer to. I know MANY people that got burned because a counselor at the school they attended said something would transfer and it didn't. Make sure you keep those sheets in a safe place when you get them and get them at least once per year. That will give you something to show them if there are any disputes as to what they will accept. They have a tendency to change what they will accept also, that's why you should get a new one once a year.

I was/am real close with my parents as well. In all honesty, I think me moving to Ann Arbor brought us a little closer. It is a big step for an 18 year old though. Although I don't know either of you, I feel it is good to go away to college. There are some things you learn that just can't be taught when living at home and going to school. I know some people are going to interpret that in a bad way and that's not the type of learning I'm talking about!!

You may want to talk to Evil Shot Girl about going to Oakland, that's where she goes.

Just my $.02, I hope this helps some. I would be happy to talk with your daughter if she has any questions about going away to school.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Forgot to mention a few other things. If your daughter was ever to find herself in another state looking for a job in the future, potential employers are much more likely to have heard of a big state school like U of M or MSU vs. Oakland or Wayne. That's not to say they're bad schools, they're just not as well known as a Big 10 school.

Recruiters are also much more likely to visit a big school vs. a school like WSU or OU. That was one of the biggest things I noticed when coming from WSU to U of M. It may make getting a job easier when that time comes?

You can also ask if MSU will hold her acceptance for a semester or 2. I know U of M's engineering grad school will defer your acceptance for a semester. Just another option to explore.

·
a.k.a EZC
2,010 Posts
I graduated from Oakland in '98. Don't have any complaints.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
From personal experience I think if she wants to stay closer to home, let her.

I went straight to Central after Highschool. What a waste of money. I was an athlete, good in school, had my priorities straight. However, once I got there I became "party girl". The following year I decided to stay home buy my first car and go to Macomb. Best decision of my life. I then later transferred to Rochester College.
I wish I had never gone to Central even though I have some wacky fun memories.

My personal opinion is let her stay close to home, get used to the "college thing" and then let her decide if she wants to go away after a year or two. She can always go to Oakland and stay on Campus there, and yes there are MSU extensions around that she can attend.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Lisa - sorry to hear your daughter is undecided - but it is a HUGE decision.
I wanted to go to MSU SO BAD but my mother said no way. So I went to Macomb, then got a job, finished my Associate Degree, got used to my salary and promotions and stopped pursuing my bachelor degree (which is something I've always wanted). So once I got laid off I told Wetbar I know I'm meant to go back and finish my degree! And now I want my Masters also!
I REALLY wish I would have finished all this straight out of high school. BUT - I go to Oakland with A LOT of people from MSU and U of M that said it's just overwhelming to them as an 18 year old. The people in my classes seem to like Oakland a lot and we do have tons of sports (Except Football
but they're working on it) and the campus is safe and secure, but close enough for people to come home and visit.
I'd personally try to get your daughter into a 4 year college and stay on campus. Oakland is SO close.
And I worked with TONS of people with MSU degrees that made very nice salaries - Very intelligent people. There is a LOT to be learned from State also.
What a tough decision - best of luck to you guys!!
Go Grizzlies!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I would try to talk her into going to MSU. I can't believe I just said that -- Intimidator - Mr. U of M I am SO proud of you for saying that!!! haha

I'll never let you forget it my friend!!! GO STATE!

Ok - now back to the topic..............sorry......

And I forgot to mention that yes - I personally love Oakland. 2 of my classes are very trying at the moment......but that's just to be expected.....
Leaving Macomb was easy for me though because I had a few too many horrible teachers there.
And I know Wetbar also did not like Wayne State. But my friend goes there now and likes it. So you have good and bad everywhere.
I just think if she doesn't go to State, definitely try Oakland!! I'll be there another year and a 1/2!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.