Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally got out there. Hit up angler's point for some waxies and some jensen eggs. Checked out the Crazymoon Bucktails, pretty sweet. Anyways, parked at the DNR, and walked out couple hundred yards, about 50 ft away from the 1st group of shanties. Drilled 2 holes, ice was about 8 inches or so. I would like to thank everyone for letting me know that I need something to scoop the ice out of the hole with. So, after about 5 minutes of scooping ice out of the hole, me and my purple hand started fishing. I would say about 5 fow if I had to guess. Well I dropped my jig down and immediately was surrounded by 6 or so dinks, they just looked at it. A couple took a jab at my jensen egg, but they were tiny. Well, after about 20 minutes out there, I got a call from my son's school that he was sick, so I had to leave and pick him up. Ice was cracking under my feet most of the way out there, and then the loud cracks / shift sounds while I was fishing definitely made me a little nervous, even though if I fell in, I'm sure I could stand up and be out of the ice. So anyways, Perch: 1, me: 0. Did pick up some trash on the way back, so not a complete wasted day.

·
Registered
437 Posts
QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 8 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, finally got out there. Hit up angler's point for some waxies and some jensen eggs. Checked out the Crazymoon Bucktails, pretty sweet. Anyways, parked at the DNR, and walked out couple hundred yards, about 50 ft away from the 1st group of shanties. Drilled 2 holes, ice was about 8 inches or so. I would like to thank everyone for letting me know that I need something to scoop the ice out of the hole with. So, after about 5 minutes of scooping ice out of the hole, me and my purple hand started fishing. I would say about 5 fow if I had to guess. Well I dropped my jig down and immediately was surrounded by 6 or so dinks, they just looked at it. A couple took a jab at my jensen egg, but they were tiny. Well, after about 20 minutes out there, I got a call from my son's school that he was sick, so I had to leave and pick him up. Ice was cracking under my feet most of the way out there, and then the loud cracks / shift sounds while I was fishing definitely made me a little nervous, even though if I fell in, I'm sure I could stand up and be out of the ice. So anyways, Perch: 1, me: 0. Did pick up some trash on the way back, so not a complete wasted day.

One of these comes in handy.
Kitchen utensil Drink Carmine Circle Chemical compound

Also anything on this list:
Minimum to take if you are just 'tagging along':

Fishing rods-with large guides, a sensitive tip, with some 'backbone'.
Reels- Micro-spinning reel
Line- 4-8 lb test ice-line
Bait: crappie minnows, wax worms, fatheads, etc...
A 5 gallon bucket (to sit on)
Hand warmers
Needle nose pliers
Fishing License
Proper Identification
A compass
Bobber stops with beads
An assortment of split-shot
Ice fishing bobbers
Fingernail clipper (to cut line)
Ice scoop
First Aid kit
Jigs and spoons and hooks...etc.
Ice fishing equipment if going alone:

Ice auger
Sled for auger or vehicle if the ice is thick enough.
Mouth spreader
Hook sharpener
Bait bucket
Small shovel-collapsable if possible
Ice picks-could be a lifesaver!
Preferred ice fishing equipment:

Vexilar/Fish Finder
Ice Fishing Shelter
Propane heater
Spud bar (for checking ice thickness)
Camera (disposable works best)
Ice cleats
Ice Anchoring System
Small flashlight. (I prefer one that you wear)
Lantern
Matches or Lighter (for propane heater)
Tip-ups-preferably the freeze-free type
Leaders for tip-ups
Quickstrike rigs for tip-ups
Bait for tip-ups-herring, smelt sardines, etc.
Cell-phone
GPS
"Glow-buster" glo-jig light. (They are new this year and pretty cool!)
Luxury Ice Fishing Equipment:

Underwater camera
Two-way radios to talk to your buddies
Ice Fishing House
Strike sensors for tip-ups
Optional Ice Fishing odds and ends:

Food
Drinks
Hand Towel
Gaff- to remove large fish
Sunglasses
If you take kids:

Extra gloves
Tissues (those noses run all the time!)
Lot's of snacks
A small sled to entertain them

Better luck next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
QUOTE(BobbyBass @ Feb 8 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 8 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, finally got out there. Hit up angler's point for some waxies and some jensen eggs. Checked out the Crazymoon Bucktails, pretty sweet. Anyways, parked at the DNR, and walked out couple hundred yards, about 50 ft away from the 1st group of shanties. Drilled 2 holes, ice was about 8 inches or so. I would like to thank everyone for letting me know that I need something to scoop the ice out of the hole with. So, after about 5 minutes of scooping ice out of the hole, me and my purple hand started fishing. I would say about 5 fow if I had to guess. Well I dropped my jig down and immediately was surrounded by 6 or so dinks, they just looked at it. A couple took a jab at my jensen egg, but they were tiny. Well, after about 20 minutes out there, I got a call from my son's school that he was sick, so I had to leave and pick him up. Ice was cracking under my feet most of the way out there, and then the loud cracks / shift sounds while I was fishing definitely made me a little nervous, even though if I fell in, I'm sure I could stand up and be out of the ice. So anyways, Perch: 1, me: 0. Did pick up some trash on the way back, so not a complete wasted day.

View attachment 71923

Hand warmers
Needle nose pliers
Fishing License
Proper Identification
A compass
Bobber stops with beads
Ice fishing bobbers
Ice scoop
First Aid kit

Ice auger
Mouth spreader
Hook sharpener
Bait bucket

Vexilar/Fish Finder
Ice Fishing Shelter
Propane heater
Ice cleats
Ice Anchoring System
Lantern
Leaders for tip-ups
Cell-phone
GPS

Underwater camera
Ice Fishing House

Food
Drinks
Hand Towel
Sunglasses
If you take kids:

Extra gloves
Tissues (those noses run all the time!)
Lot's of snacks
A small sled to entertain them

Better luck next time.

And a partridge in a pear tree.....lol

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
holy crap, that's alot of gear. Was just trying to go with the bare minimum. I had 1 pole, 1 auger, 1 small baitbox, 1 tub of waxies, 1 jar of eggs, 1 cooler, and 1 bucket. I was able to put everything inside the cooler and dragged it all out there. Probably take me a year to get all that stuff on that list. Thanks though. Also, thanks for the scooper offer Scott, the planets have to align for me to get a chance to go out, so not sure when I'll be able to get out there again. Alot easier during soft water, since I can just go on base after work or during lunch.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I got some old poles you can have if you want also. Most of that stuff is comodity stuff. All you need is auger, scoop, pole, and bucket. I know some guys on here travel with less

·
Registered
437 Posts
QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 8 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
holy crap, that's alot of gear. Was just trying to go with the bare minimum. I had 1 pole, 1 auger, 1 small baitbox, 1 tub of waxies, 1 jar of eggs, 1 cooler, and 1 bucket. I was able to put everything inside the cooler and dragged it all out there. Probably take me a year to get all that stuff on that list. Thanks though. Also, thanks for the scooper offer Scott, the planets have to align for me to get a chance to go out, so not sure when I'll be able to get out there again. Alot easier during soft water, since I can just go on base after work or during lunch.

At least now you know what to put on your birthday, christmas, "I was a good boy", Things I want in general lists. Once you get going, it's amazing how much stuff you manage to accumulate in a short time. 3 years from now you'll wonder where it all came from.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
WOW.. forgot to mention need a semi trailer, to haul all that crap.

Bare minimum fishing gear.

2 rods (1 as back up, if first breaks, or a quick lure switch is needed)
Small plastic box with some jigs & terminal tackle
bucket w/lid to sit on, hold gear and fish
scoop
auger/spud (depending on time of year/ice conditions)
cell phone

the end

·
Registered
437 Posts
QUOTE(Contender @ Feb 8 2010, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WOW.. forgot to mention need a semi trailer, to haul all that crap.

Bare minimum fishing gear.

2 rods (1 as back up, if first breaks, or a quick lure switch is needed)
Small plastic box with some jigs & terminal tackle
bucket w/lid to sit on, hold gear and fish
scoop
auger/spud (depending on time of year/ice conditions)
cell phone

the end

You want semi trailers, they got em! http://www.ice-shack.com/models.htm

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw someone driving a boat on the ice (had a fan on the back for motor), thought it was hilarious. Should I be concerned about all the ice cracking? Made me stop a couple times while I was walking out there.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
it freeked me out when i first started ice fishing still does some time. Get a spud and stab the ice infront of you if you think its less than 4in dig a hole and see if its three dont go on it by yourself

·
Registered
157 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Feb 8 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the ice cracking noise is not really cracking its making ice. thats a good noise Unless it's 55 and sunny out .... Then be sure to take caution ! There's quite a few kids on this site and we need to make sure that our knowledge isn't misinterpreted to them ... When it's cold out , Your statement is correct though !

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(chris090981 @ Feb 8 2010, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Feb 8 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the ice cracking noise is not really cracking its making ice. thats a good noise Unless it's 55 and sunny out .... Then be sure to take caution ! There's quite a few kids on this site and we need to make sure that our knowledge isn't misinterpreted to them ... When it's cold out , Your statement is correct though !

Melting ice doesn't make noise unless you're falling through...then it's too late.

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE(BobbyBass @ Feb 8 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 8 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, finally got out there. Hit up angler's point for some waxies and some jensen eggs. Checked out the Crazymoon Bucktails, pretty sweet. Anyways, parked at the DNR, and walked out couple hundred yards, about 50 ft away from the 1st group of shanties. Drilled 2 holes, ice was about 8 inches or so. I would like to thank everyone for letting me know that I need something to scoop the ice out of the hole with. So, after about 5 minutes of scooping ice out of the hole, me and my purple hand started fishing. I would say about 5 fow if I had to guess. Well I dropped my jig down and immediately was surrounded by 6 or so dinks, they just looked at it. A couple took a jab at my jensen egg, but they were tiny. Well, after about 20 minutes out there, I got a call from my son's school that he was sick, so I had to leave and pick him up. Ice was cracking under my feet most of the way out there, and then the loud cracks / shift sounds while I was fishing definitely made me a little nervous, even though if I fell in, I'm sure I could stand up and be out of the ice. So anyways, Perch: 1, me: 0. Did pick up some trash on the way back, so not a complete wasted day.

View attachment 71923

Hand warmers
Needle nose pliers
Fishing License
Proper Identification
A compass
Bobber stops with beads
Ice fishing bobbers
Ice scoop
First Aid kit

Ice auger
Mouth spreader
Hook sharpener
Bait bucket

Vexilar/Fish Finder
Ice Fishing Shelter
Propane heater
Ice cleats
Ice Anchoring System
Lantern
Leaders for tip-ups
Cell-phone
GPS

Underwater camera
Ice Fishing House

Food
Drinks
Hand Towel
Sunglasses
If you take kids: