Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C'mon Pauline ~ Let's have at it!!

My whole body is weak & shaking from trying to reel in those monsters!!

Thanks for the help Paula!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ Jun 8 2003, 04:10 PM)C'mon Pauline ~ Let's have at it!!

My whole body is weak & shaking from trying to reel in those monsters!!

Thanks for the help Paula!

What the heck are you talking about here shandiggity????

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fish were so big that when they bit I couldn't reel them in. Pauline was cracking up...said I was talking like a truck driver when I was trying to catch them....

Don't remember that part, I was so caught up in the moment, and they were so big and heavy that I lost them....

Still had fun though.

ps. Danielle is dangerous to fish with - learned to not be w/in 100 yards of her when she's casting! lol

·
Registered
34,129 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
A day behind the VFW on Jefferson with Shandog, Danielle, Joey and 2 fishing poles:

Well in case others are interested in joining this family on an occassion, steer clear of Danielle as her casts can range anywhere from 12-40 feet to her right with her hook yokeling through the air; we learned to duck and cover quickly.

Shannon and I, well, we aren't exactly fishers... first time the line got tangled, it took us 20 minutes of figuring out how the line was supposed to unwind, burning it off in various parts to detach, re-looping it through and re-tying the lure on the end. Second time it was only 5 minutes of the same thing but the line looked so professional with two knots of fishing line sticking out perpendicular 6 inches or so as it was jerry-rigged to get the lures back on there.

With no bytes we wandered down to the south side of the park where we passed a badly decomposed possum in the water. Joey found horror and great interest in this possum as he ran up to me twice with his face in pure disgust spitting out "Paula, da da dat thing is trying to get up and move!" He would not listen to my description of the water moving it and that it's impossible and I PROMISE it is not going to come after him!

Well, where we landed, literally 3 20ft bass were having mating season or something RIGHT in the rocks at the shore, I mean half their bodies were sticking above the 3 inch water.

Right about now is when I started checking my watch because there was a chance that a fish could actually be caught and I did NOT want to have to handle a scaley, slimey, live beast and wrestle a hook out of the mouth... however stayed because didn't want to look like a coward in front of the very excited Gino family.

So, with all the commotion and VISIBLE huge fish, we waited a LONG time to actually get a bite. Was surprising that those things were literally frolicking exactly were the tastly fake food was for so many casts before taking the bait.

Next, Shannon gets one. But we aren't sure for a second because she sort of sends the message out in a hushed whisper as she's gazing in shock at the missing bobber in the water. All of a sudden she's pulling and reeling and standing back 20 more feet and calling the fish a "[email protected]#er" and laughing her pure delight shandog laugh. Then "$hit, Paula, I can't get the fu#&er in" gails of laugher more reeling, red faced and sweating like she's been working out for an hour and her shirts even been disrupted and is up around her stomach. After the kids and I watch the spectacle for a bit I realize I have to enter into the picture. So, I hold the pole and she's reeling and laughing and "$hit, $hit, $hit" and I'm just praying that the thing loses it's hold so we don't have to wrestle with it on the ground... but all the reeling is yeilding NOTHING! We see no fish coming closer, no SIGN that we are doing the right thing and I begin to think we are reeling in vain and so Shandog pops the brake (whatever it's called) over to the other side totally loosening up the line and we lost him. And immediately after this it began pouring rain so we had to rush back to the cars.

So that's it folks... just another day in life of Shandog.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG just nearly pissed myself reading the last paragraph of Pauligan's spin on our fishing adventure. I knew in some way, shape, or form that she was minimally violated (or entertained to say the very least!)

The visual I have with the shirt up around my belly, fishing pole stuck in my gut and my "reel 'em in squat" is HILARIOUS!!!!!

Good Times ~ and a memory we will never forget. Happy you were there girlfriend!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Tell me somebody got pictures!!!

Sorry ya didn't catch anything but I'm glad you had fun!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey Shandog, good job.

And Um, what kind of fish (species) were you guys catching.
Did they happen to jump in the air when you had them hooked?
Hummm just wondering how big these fish were . . . . lol
I might have to fish that spot in a tournament . . . lol
And um ..... sssshhhh, If they were those kind of fish that jump
and look slightly brown, and they were in the 4lb class, aaahhh..... Don't tell Mini.
Lets keep this spot between you Pauligan and your kids.lol

By the way great fish story girls.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the excitement came to a screeching halt when I talked to MINI and found out that our 20lb. bass were actually big, fat, yucky ole' CARP!!!!

EWWWWWWWW!!
No wonder when I was trying to reel it in my fishing pole was bent like an upside down "U" - I was trying to land a beast!!!

...and I swear to God the fish were this big
**holding arms open 3 feet** lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
Great story. Even though I haven't met you guys, Pauligan paints a very vivid picture. Good humor on a Sunday night.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I hung out in the UK once with a couple of guys who "specialized" in carp fishing. They're a major sport fish over there. Go figure . . .

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plus the fact that we stood in numerous droplings of goose $hit on that side of the park - hope you remembered to wipe your shoes on the grass before you walked in the house Pauline.

We forgot

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
QUOTE(Gaz @ Jun 8 2003, 10:23 PM)Goose droppings, a decomposing possum and spawing carp. Ahh . . . the great outdoors . . . .

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya know, the beauty of this all is that I somehow have the ability to turn something so simple such as fishing with the kids or packing a lunch or 48 hours in New York into an unforgettable experience.

That's pretty cool
For all those times I say I have bad luck...you know what??? I'm pretty damn lucky to be able to do that, if you ask me!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
You're not kidding, Shandog. It's especially cool when you can share something completely unexpected like that with your kids. It could be one of those things they'll remember forever.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Shandog,

If I were you I would be happy and proud that I had a carp that large on the line for as long as you did. It could have easily broken your tackle and or line if you had not handled your rod and reel right. And, carp are considered one of the smartest fish around.

Believe it or not I know guys in an all species fishing club that I belong to that will spend well over $1000 for the rod, reel and line senser to fish for carp. The guys that fish for them competitively spend more per combo than bass or walley fisherman do by far. Of course they don't usually fish from a 25k to 50k boat though.

Being primarily a walleye fisherman first and then bass, I can honestly say that I like the feel of any big fish on the end of my line. The bigger the better and I don't care what kind it is. Way to go and I wish you had landed it.

Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts