Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my impeller pump off my 502 this weekend and found that a few of the rubbers on it were torn and on the verge of bust. It ran awesome last year with no signs of trouble, but glad to check it now than find it split apart out on the water.

The main housing of the pump, I think needs to be replaced because of major scoring. And the Mercury web site shows that it costs $93.10. The impeller itself is $22.00.

So, I will go to Discount Marine on Dequindre, and see what he charges me. I'll let you all know what I find.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I just picked up my impeller and housing kits from him about a week ago. Now all I have to do is figure out how to change them. I'm told that they are fairly easy in an alpha drive.

Any helpers? I pay beer to be taught.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, All I ever do to outdrives is chang the oil. I will never open an outdrive.
Good luck though.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Mar 24 2003, 07:45 AM)I just picked up my impeller and housing kits from him about a week ago. Now all I have to do is figure out how to change them. I'm told that they are fairly easy in an alpha drive.

Any helpers? I pay beer to be taught.

I have a guy that I work with that will do it for you for a fair price.
He does good work too.
Call Tom:

586 215-8416....

Tell him JabberJawz sent ya

Tom also said that they do all types of boat repairs. So if anyone else is interested.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Thanks Jabberjawz. I'll give him a call. Heck, I'd have him do one and I would mirror him on the other. Save a few $$ and learn it as well.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ Mar 23 2003, 07:33 PM)Took my impeller pump off my 502 this weekend and found that a few of the rubbers on it were torn and on the verge of bust. It ran awesome last year with no signs of trouble, but glad to check it now than find it split apart out on the water.

The main housing of the pump, I think needs to be replaced because of major scoring. And the Mercury web site shows that it costs $93.10. The impeller itself is $22.00.

So, I will go to Discount Marine on Dequindre, and see what he charges me. I'll let you all know what I find.
I changed the entire pump on both my 385hp horizons last year. Bought original Mercury parts. My price $67.00 a piece. Change the whole thing because the plastic housing gets grooves in it along with the stainless backer plate. Kit comes with new bolts also for those of you with the older two piece housing.

·
12,052 Posts
One of my motors was actually starting to overheat this past summer while going to an island party off the middle channel. Fortunately with closed cooling it wasn't as bad. Thanks to Instigator having a used one on his boat I was able to change it there and get home no problem. That was my forth season at around 400 hours. Ron at Dynamic said he changes them on some boats every year to two years. One VERY IMPORTANT thing I did learn is when I pull into Muscamoot bay, I usually go back and forth deciding where to anchor and when dropping the anchor I am in shallow water (my props are just off the bottom) that is bad because your water intakes suck up all that sand filled water and prematurely destroy the rubber impeller and groove the housing and plate in your pump.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Here is a scary conversation I had last night with a service guy at the marina where our boat is wintered stored:

Jim: All I need to do on the stern drives is change the impeller's and I'm all set.
Service Guy: Why? Did she over heat last season?
Jim: No. But being that I dont know when they were last changed, I want to start fresh and have them new for a regular maintanance schedule?
Service Guy: Why? If the engines didnt over heat last season, they're not going to overheat this season. If I were you, I would just flake the bottom paint off from where it is coming off, sand the edges, slap on a new coat and dump her in the water. We've been putting them in for the last week or so.

I sure wish I had his crystal ball. Would be nice to know what is and isn't going to go wrong with the boat this summer. I can just skip the days that I am going to run aground and spend extra time on days with a good view at the jobbienooners.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was wrong up top. Discount Marine is on John R (west side of road) just south of 13.

Sherwood is the owner. He has the best prices in town
I bought my impeller kit today. Mercury website said the kit costs $92.10 at Blue Water Marine. Discount charged me $80.00 for the impeller kit. So, I got the kit, 1 gallon and 2 quarts of oil for $92.00 out the door. Is that worth the drive or what?

For a gallon of Mercury SAE 25W-40 @West and Boat us=$10.99

Discount Marine=$8.00

As expensive as boating is.....every penny helps.

·
12,052 Posts
Didn't you see my post??? $67. for a COMPLETE MERCURY IMPELLER KIT (regular price $92).

And Pyrate Jim, I have NEW pumps on both motors and I am STILL going to carry a spare impeller just in case. When I saw the condition of the old ones I couldn't believe it. Just over 400 hours and they were half wasted.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Hammer and all, thanks for the input. I have twins with 770 and 825 hrs respectively and most of the items appear to be stock. If Ican hook up with Jabberjawz refferal, Tom, or someone else familair with them on an Alpha drive, I may shoot for next weekend to get them done. Just hope it is half way nice outside.

·
12,052 Posts
Yes, but if anyone wants them let me go there and get my price. No problem, I work a block away from them.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Mar 29 2003, 08:12 PM)Yes, but if anyone wants them let me go there and get my price. No problem, I work a block away from them.
Hammer, You get a discount at Dynamic? I have a single Alpha. I have been watching this thread and decided my outdrive hadnt been checked in at least 4 years so I opened it up and had a look. I need to replace the entire plastic housing. Is there a kit? If so, any idea what the part number is? Jim, opening the alpha drive was a snap. no biggie for me. If you are at all comfortable with mechanicals I doubt you'd have a problem. I am going to start calling around for this part tomorrow if I havent heard back from you Hammer. Thought I'd give Discount a look tomorrow as I have to go to Livonia anyway. Dynamic can wait til Saturday while I am down for the rally. I thought I would also call a shop up here in Ortonville. They've been good to me in the past.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Went to Discount today and picked up the kit, $42. Talked to him about the site afterwards and he gave me a couple quarts of oil for mentioning it. If I had thought to mention it first he would discounted the kit. Still cheap and I can always use the oil. So send more business his way. Thanks anyway Hammer. I figured it wouldnt get much cheaper than that anyway.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Spider,
Do you have the # to Discount Marine and where it's located? Is your impeller a mercruiser part? I have to get one myself and I would like the mercruiser part.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Apr 1 2003, 05:03 PM)Spider,
Do you have the # to Discount Marine and where it's located? Is your impeller a mercruiser part? I have to get one myself and I would like the mercruiser part.
Jabber,

Discount is on John R between 12 and 13 mile. West side of John R in a small strip mall. Dont have the number. The kit was merc parts I believe. They fit nicely at any rate. I am going back over there today as I found another seal that needs replacing. Its the seal for the lower case's driveshaft where it plugs into the upper case. Looked beat up so I am replacing it while I have the two halves apart.

Spider

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.