Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 5 years I've been boating regularly in this area, I've been fortunate to never need assistance. Self-rescued a few times (gotta love twins!), but that's about it.

Each year though, I've ended up helping someone else. Yesterday was the second of the season (you might recall where I actually swam over to help a totally clueless guy who beached on the rocks).

(I only mention this because I can't imagine how people get themselves in these situations.)

If you had mechanical troubles, would you realize you're drifting BEFORE, or AFTER you hit an island? Wouldn't you anchor before? I sure as hell would! (Perhaps they were like the Wayne County Sheriff boat I saw in distress at the Red Bull races, and had no anchor.
)

Yesterday was similar to the other time this year. I see a guy at the shoreline, and think "man, I sure wouldn't go there." After awhile the guy started blowing what sounded like a handheld air horn. After he did it a few times, and nothing seemed to be happening, I figured I should hail the Coast Guard. A tow boat ended up rescuing him before the Coast Guard arrived, but the Coast Guard did confirm with me that he was rescued.

All's well that ends well I guess, but it amazes me the situations people allow themselves to get into.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Some places on the lake are tough to get an anchor to set. Especially near where there are thick weed beds. You can't always plan where your going to get into trouble at out on the lake.

During the races off of Beacon Cove we had a group of 4 boats all trying to set an anchor in the bay just to the south of Beacon so the rest could raft off and then get more anchors set. No could get an anchor to set, so we rafted off, threw in anchors, and dragged them as the wind blew us south. Slowed us down enough so we could watch for a couple of hours.

But nice job looking out for others on the water!

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(gradytom @ Sep 28 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey AP
I wonder if you document your rescues if you could write fuel off
on taxes???

gt

any chance you'll make it "north" one more time b4 haulout?
Great idea!
I have racked up a couple (
) miles on "patrol"!

Not sure about another LSC trip. Time will tell...

QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Sep 28 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Rob...

how are you with cell phones ???

Great! I can dial and ANSWER and everything! j/k

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ Sep 29 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Glad that people like you are out there watching out for others...
Oh, I watch out for others all right. They scare the heck out of me sometimes!

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Thanks Man! - WE NEED People with this attitude on our waterways!!!

I stopped 3 times this year checking on vessels, but all were OK.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Reminds me of a time when I saw a pontoon boat drifting about a 1/2 mile off outside Metro. Didnt' look like anyone was onboard, so I scanned the water around it, then circled in closer to the boat to see what was up.

Turns out the "driver" was laying down on one the lounges, taking a nap. No anchor, certainly no one keeping watch, the boat was just drifting. I guess my open exhaust must have woken him up, as he popped up and looked at me like I was crazy for checking on the boat. "Here's your sign..."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.