Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday, May 29 we were out for a shakedown cruise, bringing the boat back from Milennyum. We had Bob's son with us and were showing him around a bit. We went into Metro a ways, then turned around. As we were exiting the Black Creek, approaching the no-wake buoys, I saw the Sherrif coming into the Black Creek. I realized I didn't have current stickers and uttered an obscenity. I told Bob and Jeremy what was going on, did a courtesy wave to the Sheriff and got up on plane.

Without being obvious (right!
), Bob turned around to see what the Sheriff was doing--turning around. I did my wide sweep of the shallows by Metro and headed to Beacon Cove, doing about 45 mph. The Sheriff followed, but no lights or siren (or so I thought). As I came off plane entering Beacon Cove, I heard the siren and "pull over". I motioned I was going to the gas dock. They followed. Boy, if you want everyone to notice you and come out to the ends of their docks, get pulled over by the Sheriff!

The guys couldn't have been nicer. In fact, they gave me a warning, saying they wouldn't issue tickets until after June 1, which was cool with me because that's when I was going to visit the Secretary of State. They took information, joked around a little and let us go. As we were making our way to the hi-lo dock, Bob suggested we invite them to the wedding. I got on the radio and contacted them. They declined, but wished us well.

We have a picture of a Sheriff boat in the background of the gazebo as we were getting married...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
No wonder they don't have money for fuel or overtime, they keep letting people get off who clearly deserved to be busted and hulled off

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(scepter @ Jun 15 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I may be mistaken but doesn't your boat run close to 80 mph?
How close is "close" to 80?

I was just at cruising speed, and I explained to the officers that I wasn't running from them. They were at WOT and said if I was running from them they would have had to call in "the other boat". I didn't ask what that one was...

They were pretty cool about everything and looked like they were happy to be out on the water, running fast, chasing some old housewife from the 'burbs with a loud boat.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Jun 15 2009, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scepter @ Jun 15 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I may be mistaken but doesn't your boat run close to 80 mph?
How close is "close" to 80?

I was just at cruising speed, and I explained to the officers that I wasn't running from them. They were at WOT and said if I was running from them they would have had to call in "the other boat". I didn't ask what that one was...

They were pretty cool about everything and looked like they were happy to be out on the water, running fast, chasing some old housewife from the 'burbs with a loud boat.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Great outcome. Glad they were nice about it and let you off. But, I don't understand their actions. They clearly saw your boat with no stickers while at Metro. Why waste fuel and follow you all the way to Beacon only to pull you over to give you a warning? Seems like a waste of tax payer fuel to me. Why not sit out near our precious border and secure that instead of installing a stupid camera on Gull Island? I don't know, but I have seen the Sheriff too many time come in and out of Beacon Cove too many times past several this season alone doing what, I have no idea?!

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed I guess. Once again I am happy they treated you fairly in that situation. Sounds like decent officers.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jun 16 2009, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great outcome. Glad they were nice about it and let you off. But, I don't understand their actions. They clearly saw your boat with no stickers while at Metro. Why waste fuel and follow you all the way to Beacon only to pull you over to give you a warning? Seems like a waste of tax payer fuel to me. Why not sit out near our precious border and secure that instead of installing a stupid camera on Gull Island? I don't know, but I have seen the Sheriff too many time come in and out of Beacon Cove too many times past several this season alone doing what, I have no idea?!

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed I guess. Once again I am happy they treated you fairly in that situation. Sounds like decent officers.

Maybe they were running the MC numbers during that time.

Matt

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jun 16 2009, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great outcome. Glad they were nice about it and let you off. But, I don't understand their actions. They clearly saw your boat with no stickers while at Metro. Why waste fuel and follow you all the way to Beacon only to pull you over to give you a warning? Seems like a waste of tax payer fuel to me. Why not sit out near our precious border and secure that instead of installing a stupid camera on Gull Island? I don't know, but I have seen the Sheriff too many time come in and out of Beacon Cove too many times past several this season alone doing what, I have no idea?!

I agree 100%, I try to support our officers out there, but it seems like last year they slacked off and now this year they are going over the top to look like they are actually doing something.

Watch now we are both going to get boarded this weekend and given tickets.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I just want to say that I support the Sheriff and think they do a fine job for the most part. It is our local government that is calling the shots and setting policies for the police that really ruin a good day on the lake for some. I have been picked on in the past by the Sheriff and it really leaves you with negative feelings toward some of their actions.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Guess I'm lucky. The only contact I've ever had with a sheriff's boat was the first time I tried to take our old jet skis out on LSC.

We launched our 1986 SeaDoo SPs at Harley. Got to the no-wake markers and a cruiser comes in on plane and swamps me. Engine stalls an I go in the water. It was May and I don't recall having a wet suit. Tigs was still running and caught up with me. Managed to get a line out of the ski and tied to Tigs. Couldn't get back on it though. They were not stable and the water was cold. Tigs started towing us back in, me hanging onto the back of my ski. Then the sheriff boat pulls up and says we'll take you back in. I agreed and went toward their boat. At that point couldn't do much and had to roll onto their swim platform. Took a while to warm up.

We did use the skis some then decided a boat was a better idea.

Other than that one incident I have not been pulled over, boarded, nothing. And I, for one, am glad to see the sheriff more visible on the lake.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I had a good experience earlier this season coming into Riverside they were following me up the channel. After docking the Sheriff comes over and asks the size of my boat, It's a 28 and then tells me politely that I came off plane a little late. Tells me the 600 foot rule and says that with water levels up this year many home owners will be complaining and the Sheriff will be enforcing them. Then he proceded to eat his pizza
I just threw that last part in.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hey, if they don't install the camera on Gull Island, how are the Border Patrol types going to scope out boobies from their air-conditioned office? Geez, have a little consideration!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
So where's the "rant"?

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
I had contact with the Sherriff about 11 years ago and it was a quite strange. My (ex)husband and a few of our friends and I were anchored in Fords Cove and there was a Sherriff boat just hanging out off near the back of the cove. My ex decided to take a ride on a jetski a friend rode out and the rest of us were just hanging out. Next thing I know, one of our friends and I came up from the cabin and we see the Sherriff heading over towards us. They pull up next to us and my friend politely asked what was their reasoning for stopping by and one cop says, "we saw both of you come up from the cabin and we noticed that you suspiciously put sunglasses on right as you came up"
I was so thrown off by the question...lol All I said was "the suns out sir, it's bright." They asked who the owner of the boat was and as I was about to say that I was, our friend said that the owner was out on a jetski right now. They kind of harrassed us for a bit and then he asked our friend to lift his sunglasses and checked his eyes. I couldn't figure out what the hell they were doing (a little naive at the time) and our friend smiled and gladly obliged. They said thank you and were off on their merry way.

I didn't realize they were checking to see if he was stoned...lol They thought we were down below smoking and wanted to board the boat to see if they could find anything, all because we put our sunglasses on heading out of the cabin.
Funny part of the story is, (and I had no idea until he told me after the whole incident) our friend was higher than a kite! He had smoked just before they got to the boat and his little smile when the officer asked him to remove his sunglasses was because he knew his eyes weren't hazed over, he told me they never get that way when he smokes. I about died though!

The whole thing was still a joke.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jun 16 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So where's the "rant"?

There really isn't one.
From what I've read on offshore forums, lots of operators of performance boats in other parts of the country get hassled for speed, perceived carelessness, noise, etc. Fortunately, I've not had that experience, and neither have a lot of my friends. I guess it could be a lot worse.

·
Registered
954 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Jun 16 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jun 16 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So where's the "rant"?

From what I've read on offshore forums, lots of operators of performance boats in other parts of the country get hassled for speed, perceived carelessness, noise, etc. Fortunately, I've not had that experience, and neither have a lot of my friends. I guess it could be a lot worse.

Well I will have to see if I can correct that. Those darn go-fast boats LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts