Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michael will be 12 next month & is already planning next summers boating.

Do any of our Coast Guard or Power Squadron representatives know the age rules for this?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I believe you need a drivers license to go solo.

He may be able to drive legally with an adult but I'm not quite sure.

I let my 9 yr old drive some times but ONLY when boat traffic is light and I'm RIGHT next to him.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Michigan Boating Basics...

Children under 14 may not operate a PWC. (those that are 12-14 years old before Jan 1 1999 and have thier Baoters safety Certificate, before that date may operate a PWC but MUST have their certificate with them)

Hope this helps!

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took some major searching, but found the following on the Michigan Government Boating Safety pages:

Those less than 12 years of age:
• May legally operate a boat powered by a motor of no more than 6 horsepower (hp) without restrictions
• May legally operate a boat powered by a motor of more than 6 hp but no more than 35 hp only if they are directly supervised onboard by a person at least 16 years of age
• May not legally operate a boat powered by a motor of more than 35 hp under any conditions.

Those 12 to 15 years of age:
• May legally operate a boat powered by a motor of no more than 6 hp without restrictions
• May legally operate a boat powered by a motor of more than 6 hp only if they:
- Have passed a boating safety course approved by the Department of Natural Resources and have onboard their boating safety certificate or...
- Are accompanied onboard by a person at least 16 years of age.

Those 16 years of age or older:
• May operate any boat on the waters of Michigan.

Unfortunately, there are no boating classes scheduled in our area yet!
SEARCH ENGINE for MI BOATING SAFETY CLASSES

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who May Operate a PWC

No one less than 12 years old may legally operate a PWC.
A person who is 12 or more and less than 14 years of age may operate a PWC only if:
• He or she obtained a boating safety certificate prior to January 1, 1999, or...
• All of the following conditions are satisfied:
- The person is accompanied solely by his or her
parent or legal guardian.
- Both the person and the parent or legal guardian have obtained a boating safety certificate.
- The PWC is equipped with a lanyard-type ignition safety switch and the parent or legal guardian has the lanyard attached to his or her person, clothing or PFD.
- The PWC is designed to carry at least two people.
Those 14 years of age or older:
• A person born after December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC only if he or she has obtained a boating safety certificate.
• Those born December 31, 1978, or earlier may operate a PWC without restrictions.

Michigan definition of a Personal Watercraft
Jet skis are an example of personal watercraft; however, the definition of a personal watercraft is: a vessel that uses a motor-driven propeller or internal
combustion engine powering a water jet pump as its primary source of
propulsion, is designed without an open load carrying area that would
retain water, and is designed to be operated by one or more people
positioned on, rather than within, the confines of the hull.

So, as far as I can see, Michael can operate the boat as long as I can find a way to get him a Boating Safety Certificate

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Right On!

Looks like he'll be taking a course...A friend will be instructing a USPS from the SCS chapter In January I think it starts. BeckaBum will be taking it, Babydoll will be taking it. I will be taking the Nav section...We'll let you know if you want!

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
a jet boat, is a boat, not a PWC.
if it were, a 64' panter running jet drives would be a jetboat, which would make it a PWC.
if he needs a course i teach them and can give the time/date of the next one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts